How to get Taiwan Citizenship - Primer, FAQ, and Resources

[quote=“Northcoast Surfer”][quote=“Pioneer Kuro”]I received the notification around 2.30 this afternoon but still at work at that time.So I went to the HHRO at 4.30 (right after got off from work) and got the ID in about 20 minutes. It was that much quick since there was no one waiting at the HHRO when I got there.Wow! to my great surprise,the lady at the counter was on of my neighbors and she did all the paperwork for me.Finally I feel pretty relaxed after such a long wait… Oh man!!! I must thank everyone in the forum peculiarly you guys (coolingtower,bismarck,NC surfer, speed_maniac, A-ha, satelite TV, Icon and dassant) in this thread for providing huge amount of information. So, feel free to PM me if anyone wants info. regarding naturalization. It took 8 days for me to receive the notification from the MOI. See you guys later as I am about to go out with the family for celebration. :discodance:[/quote]Yeah!!! Yeah!!! :bravo: Way to see it through to finish! :discodance: Hey…I do have one little question…I know that you are a Taiwanese citizen now…,but please…please don’t lie to me. Ok…here’s the question… Since you walked out of the HHRO office, how many times have you pulled it out of your wallet and looked at it, fondled it, turned it over and over, looked at it again…etc? Does it really feel real, yet? :ponder:

Congratulations, again! :notworthy:[/quote]
Thanks everyone. Guess what! I am still looking at it at this very moment. :smiley: This is one of the joyous moments of my life.But it is not completely over yet, on Monday I am going to take a leave and planning to go to related departments to get my personal data such as driver’s licence, health insurance etc… updated. And yes, I want to apply for a passport too. So it’s going to be busy again.

Mods, please delete this post.

Congrats PK!! you have the ID card so it’s smooth sailing from now on…

driver’s license maybe 30 mins, for the passport i think if you apply on Monday you can pick it up by Thursday…for the health insurance card I really forgot, sorry, but in any case it is very fast…you will also need to go to the Labor office ( Lao Bao Jhu ?? ) and ask them to change / update the records. This is very imp, you don’t want to lose out on the “tiu xiu jin” when you turn 55!!!

:roflmao: I wish I could go along with you, the surprised look on some people’s faces should be priceless. :thumbsup:

[quote=“speed_maniac”]Congrats PK!! you have the ID card so it’s smooth sailing from now on…

driver’s license maybe 30 mins, for the passport I think if you apply on Monday you can pick it up by Thursday…for the health insurance card I really forgot, sorry, but in any case it is very fast…you will also need to go to the Labor office ( Lao Bao Jhu ?? ) and ask them to change / update the records. This is very imp, you don’t want to lose out on the “tiu xiu jin” when you turn 55!!![/quote]
Thanks mate. Well yeah, I just feel great because no more hurdles to leap, from now on I can totally focus on my work and the family. Thanks for the info. about the retirement money.I am afraid I need two days to finish up all these.

:roflmao: I wish I could go along with you, the surprised look on some people’s faces should be priceless. :thumbsup:[/quote]
Just hang in there my friend, it won’t take too long to have that TARC in your pocket and then you won’t even notice a year has passed already and you are eligible to have the ID card. :slight_smile:

Got my Renunciation Certificate with authentication back on Monday. Went to MOFA in Kaohsiung on Tuesday morning. They authenticated it and I got it back this morning. Took it to the translators today and I’ll get it back from them next Thursday.
I already went to NIA to get my updated Certificate of Residence in the ROC from them to take with the Renunciation Certificate to the Household Registration Office next Thursday to apply for my TARC. Is there anything else I’ll need? I imagine pictures (passport sized). What about a new Taiwan Police Clearance Certificate? Anything else?

Oh, and I’m as excited as a 12 year old on Christmas Eve! :discodance: :yay:

wooahh finally… :thumbsup:

hope you will get your TARC before the end of June…

Wow. Good news. :beer:

[quote=“speed_maniac”]wooahh finally… :thumbsup:

hope you will get your TARC before the end of June…[/quote]
It’s amazing how fast everything moves in Taiwan, compared to how slow everything happened in SA or connected to SA…

Cheers for the well wishes. I suspect A-Ha is at the same point or maybe even currently waiting for his TARC. I bet he’s just as excited. :smiley:

[quote=“bismarck”]Got my Renunciation Certificate with authentication back on Monday. Went to MOFA in Kaohsiung on Tuesday morning. They authenticated it and I got it back this morning. Took it to the translators today and I’ll get it back from them next Thursday.
I already went to NIA to get my updated Certificate of Residence in the ROC from them to take with the Renunciation Certificate to the Household Registration Office next Thursday to apply for my TARC. Is there anything else I’ll need? I imagine pictures (passport sized). What about a new Taiwan Police Clearance Certificate? Anything else?

Oh, and I’m as excited as a 12 year old on Christmas Eve! :discodance: :yay:[/quote]Congratuations bro! Seeing it through and fighting the good fight! Well done! :bravo:

[quote=“bismarck”][quote=“speed_maniac”]wooahh finally… :thumbsup:

hope you will get your TARC before the end of June…[/quote]
It’s amazing how fast everything moves in Taiwan, compared to how slow everything happened in SA or connected to SA…

[/quote]
Wow! This is great news!!! Things move pretty fast in my country also but you gotta love the system in this country. :thumbsup:

Sending best vibes for smooth sailing and a successful conclusion. Jiayio!!

Thanks, Ship Mate. :thumbsup:

Cheers, Icon. Almost there!

Ah! I see you haven’t made the switch yet. :smiley:

Hey, we all seem to have skipped mentioning a step here. I went to the HHR office with my translated, authenticated, notarized and totally overstamped (imo) Renunciation Certificate today thinking by next week I’d be the proud owner of a Taiwan Area Residence Card with 12 months to go (and counting) until I can apply for an ID Card.

Wrong.

I spent one and a half hours at the HHRO putting in my application for Taiwanese Naturalization (pretty much the authentic version of Candidature). The application takes about one month, then they call you and you go to the HHRO to pick up your Certificate of Naturalization. With that in hand you go to the NIA offices and apply for your TARC, which I’ll only be able to do in July. Then your one year wait begins.

Bit of a let down. I thought next week this time I’d have a TARC. :frowning:

Still, one step closer…

[quote=“bismarck”]Hey, we all seem to have skipped mentioning a step here. I went to the HHR office with my translated, authenticated, notarized and totally overstamped (imo) Renunciation Certificate today thinking by next week I’d be the proud owner of a Taiwan Area Residence Card with 12 months to go (and counting) until I can apply for an ID Card.

Wrong.

I spent one and a half hours at the HHRO putting in my application for Taiwanese Naturalization (pretty much the authentic version of Candidature). The application takes about one month, then they call you and you go to the HHRO to pick up your Certificate of Naturalization. With that in hand you go to the NIA offices and apply for your TARC, which I’ll only be able to do in July. Then your one year wait begins.

Still, one step closer…[/quote]That’s ok bro…like you said,one step closer…it’ll happen. And then beer will be consumed by all! :bravo:

Bis they say 1 month but most probably you should have it in 2 - 3 weeks. They had told me the same thing and I got it in 14 days.

Be positive! :thumbsup:

[quote=“bismarck”]Hey, we all seem to have skipped mentioning a step here. I went to the HHR office with my translated, authenticated, notarized and totally overstamped (imo) Renunciation Certificate today thinking by next week I’d be the proud owner of a Taiwan Area Residence Card with 12 months to go (and counting) until I can apply for an ID Card.

Wrong.

Still, one step closer…[/quote]

Look at page 83-84 of this thread. I not only posted a picture of diploma looking “Certificate of Naturalization” but also did a translation of it.

[quote=“speed_maniac”]Bis they say 1 month but most probably you should have it in 2 - 3 weeks. They had told me the same thing and I got it in 14 days.

Be positive! :thumbsup:[/quote]
Will do! :thumbsup:

Cheers, mate. Guess I missed that somewhere… :blush:

Hi!

I would like to know more about getting Taiwan Citizenship, can you please help me?
Here’s my e-mail add. cfinones@yahoo.com

Appreciate your help!

Cielo