How to get Taiwan Citizenship - Primer, FAQ, and Resources

Seriously? There are 100 pages of information in this thread alone…

I’m with you on this one, Bismarck. Everything you need to know is right here. Or you could always go to your friendly Household Registration Office, for the same information. :slight_smile:

Indeed. There is that. Going there tomorrow to pick up my Certificate of Naturalization and then off to NIA to apply for my TARC. How far along are you now? Got the TARC yet?

I’m so excited I’m not sure I can sleep tonight! :yay:

Edit: These guys are the bomb. Just realised they told me it would take 4-8 weeks to process, but it was two days shy of 4 weeks (26 days). Got to love a government service that actually sticks to their word. :thumbsup:

Indeed. There is that. Going there tomorrow to pick up my Certificate of Naturalization and then off to NIA to apply for my TARC.[/quote]Congrats Biz. Keep us in the loop! :discodance:

Great news Bis…guess by next week you should have the TARC in hand and 90% of the work will be done…not that the 1 year wait is a problem, it just feels too freaking looooooooooooooooooong…

I really hope that one fine day they do remove this crazy rule…it applies to the overseas Chinese who have a ROC passport but no ID so they need to hang around for 1 year in Taiwan…guys like you, PK me etc are new imigrants and we already have to stick around for 5 years before even being able to apply for naturalization, so they really should separate the two cases and not bunch them together…anyway the one year wait is not too bad, just don’t understand the logic behind it…

Will do, mate.

[quote=“speed_maniac”]Great news Bis…guess by next week you should have the TARC in hand and 90% of the work will be done…not that the 1 year wait is a problem, it just feels too freaking looooooooooooooooooong…

I really hope that one fine day they do remove this crazy rule…it applies to the overseas Chinese who have a ROC passport but no ID so they need to hang around for 1 year in Taiwan…guys like you, PK me etc are new imigrants and we already have to stick around for 5 years before even being able to apply for naturalization, so they really should separate the two cases and not bunch them together…anyway the one year wait is not too bad, just don’t understand the logic behind it…[/quote]
Well, not sure about one week. They told me 10 days, today. So that would make it Monday,18 July, or thereabouts. But sometimes these things move quicker, so we’ll see.
And yeah, the one year TARC wait is a bit non-sensical, but…whatevs. I’m not planning on going anywhere in the next year anyway (prepping the old Chinee and saving). Can’t wait to have that ID Card in my wallet, though. :smiley: I’m going to be very hard pressed in the beginning not to pull a SatTV every few minutes.
Random stranger: blah blah blah 外國人 blah blah blah…
Me: Who’s your bloody 外國人? Out comes the ID Card :smiley:

She-it!! I’m hard pressed as it is not to carry the Nationality certificate around with me and flash that to all and sundry!! I’m having it framed!

Update on my application. Picked up my TARC today. :yay: :discodance: It’s dated 19 July 2011, so I guess I have 364 days to go before I can take my final step and get that ID Card. It does seem like a long wait to get the year over with, but at 36 I’ve learned the years just keep speeding by faster and faster! It’s interesting to note that it’s valid for 3 years! And on the back it says “This certificate may be used along with the ROC passport for multiple entry and exit.” I reckon I want to apply for the ROC passport, just for the hell of it, and to have something more substantial than a TARC to show someone in the event that I want to apply for something like a bank card, cel phone contract or whatever. For some reason everyone here always wants to see a passport if you want to apply for something, and I’ve already had a hell of a time explaining why I don’t have one.

Haven’t heard from Aha in a while. I wonder how his process is going. He should also have a TARC by now. Aha, what’s up mate? How many days left before our ID Card party???

Congratulations, bismarck!

Can I join the party too? :laughing:

The baby is due in a few weeks, I already have all the renunciation paperwork with my PA in the UK so literally as soon as the baby pops out they are on instructions to get that sucker in the post immediately.

Cheers, mate.

[quote=“llary”]Can I join the party too? :laughing:

The baby is due in a few weeks, I already have all the renunciation paperwork with my PA in the UK so literally as soon as the baby pops out they are on instructions to get that sucker in the post immediately.[/quote]
The more the merrier! Are you waiting for the baby to come first so you guys can register her/him with the UK first before renouncing? Pretty good plan, that. My son was registered and had his SA passport before I started my application, also. Even though he lost his along with mine (being a minor), he can also resume if ever chooses to do so. So no loss for him either.

Enhorabuena, Bismark!* (congratulations)

Illary, hope you get your paperwork done quickly and without hassle.

Congratulations, Bismarck. But does that mean it is time to remove the little Springbok from your posts? :cry:

Muchos gracias, Icon. (Is that right?) :wink:

Never! Green and Gold forever!! Besides, my new homeland doesn’t have much of a rugby team, but I’d Like to get a Taiwanese rugby jersey for the Hong Kong Sevens! :smiley:

Congrats Bis!! you can apply for your passport now but it guess it will show your TARC number, so next year when you get your ID card you will have to renew your passport ( or maybe apply for a new passport ). So that’s double the charges and that is not a major issue, I personally feel giving them two sets of documents ( TARC now and ID card later ) is not very advisable, better keep everything neat and clear right from step 1.

Once you have the TARC you will not get asked for the passport, at least no one asked me for the same, they only asked me how I was able to apply for citizenship since I am not married etc, etc. I would say 9 out of 10 people do not know that you can apply for ciitizenship if you are not married. I wish I had found out about Foruosa earlier, I could have applied for citizensip in 2005 itself!! anyway better late than never!!

Once again welcome to the club!!!

[quote=“llary”]Can I join the party too? :laughing:

The baby is due in a few weeks, I already have all the renunciation paperwork with my PA in the UK [color=#FF0000]so literally as soon as the baby pops out they are on instructions to get that sucker in the post immediately[/color].[/quote]

ha ha llary make sure that your baby is not sent in the post…just kidding!!!

On a serious note, getting the ID card and then the Tai Bao Zheng really makes things very simple, as far as travelling and staying for long periods of time in China is concerned! No more bloody visa issues or how long you stay there etc etc…it has helped me a lot, prefessionally at least, because now I don’t have to bother about " will i get my China visa in time? what if maybe I have to be out of Taiwan for more than 183 days a year? Ah hell the stupid Cathy Pacific check in guy/gal again does not know what is a TARC and is going to ask me to prove that I have been in Taiwan for at least 183 days this year and my TARC is still valid!!"

Congrats Bismarck! The long road is coming to an end after a long hard battle was fought and won! Well done…well done. :bravo:

Congratulations! You are almost there!

Yes well, it seems that it is now my turn to wait. Up to this point everything has been going rather smoothly and quickly (except for the 3 years it took me to do my language hours). But now things seem to have ground to a halt. Today it has been exactly 51 days since I handed in my final application and still no word from the MOI. I’ve been to the HHRO twice in the past two weeks to try and find out if there is a problem, only to be told that they don’t know of any problems; they don’t know why it is taking so long; please just wait; and we are very sorry for the inconvenience. So that is where I’m at right now. So, I’m just waiting and trying my very best not to think about it too much.

The good news is that at least I have a new job at an elementary school as from the beginning of the new semester, so that should keep me nice and busy so that I don’t have too much time to think of all the things that can go wrong.

Yep exactly, originally I was going to try and get it done before he was born but then I would have had to reclaim my UK nationality really quickly and would have just stressed myself out. Plus I really won’t need UK citizenship any more and I may as well save the exorbitant application fee. UK citizenship is passed on at time of birth and isn’t automatically lost when I give mine up.

Yup, even though I’m married to an ROC citizen I am doing it this way because it’s easier than arguing that I don’t need a JFRV. MOI have been pretty cool about it though and compromised that I don’t need to show a financial statement, just a clean UK criminal record (because you don’t have to show one for the ARC I have currently).

Can that be a problem later?

[quote=“speed_maniac”]Once you have the TARC you will not get asked for the passport, at least no one asked me for the same, they only asked me how I was able to apply for citizenship since I am not married etc, etc. I would say 9 out of 10 people do not know that you can apply for ciitizenship if you are not married. I wish I had found out about Foruosa earlier, I could have applied for citizensip in 2005 itself!! anyway better late than never!!

Once again welcome to the club!!![/quote]
Probably, but I kind of want to get it anyway. :smiley:
Yeah, I must admit, The flob is chock-a-bloc full of useful info. I’m just sorry I listened to the lady at the HHRO and applied for a JFRV when I did. My life would have been a lot simpler at this point. Ah well, just a few hundred days more to wait. :wink:

Cheers, mate. Celebrating by myself right now with a cold one. :beer:

[quote=“A-ha”]Yes well, it seems that it is now my turn to wait. Up to this point everything has been going rather smoothly and quickly (except for the 3 years it took me to do my language hours). But now things seem to have ground to a halt. Today it has been exactly 51 days since I handed in my final application and still no word from the MOI. I’ve been to the HHRO twice in the past two weeks to try and find out if there is a problem, only to be told that they don’t know of any problems; they don’t know why it is taking so long; please just wait; and we are very sorry for the inconvenience. So that is where I’m at right now. So, I’m just waiting and trying my very best not to think about it too much.

The good news is that at least I have a new job at an elementary school as from the beginning of the new semester, so that should keep me nice and busy so that I don’t have too much time to think of all the things that can go wrong.[/quote]
That sucks. Maybe someone working on your application is trying to figure out how you managed to apply without being married. Or maybe because you aren’t married they’re triple checking everything. Who knows? Anyway, I hope it gets sorted right quick so you can move on to the next step.
And congrats on the new job. I saw that on Facebook. I’m sure you’ll do great there!