How to Play Golf in Taiwan for Cheap (in Taiwan Standard)

Hey Forumosan!

I have been playing golf in Taiwan for the past several months and would like to share my experience for other expats or foreigners in Taiwan who would like to play golf as well. As we all know, golf is considered a luxury sport in Asia, not just Taiwan. But…

I was invited by a Taiwanese golfer/friend to a local Line golf group called Happy PGG Golf. I have searched on the forum but didn’t find any posts on PGG or even much on the subject on Golf.

So, going through this group, I am able to play at group discount rates, eg: usually around 2500 for the higher end courses such as Miramar or Sunrise Golf Clubs.

There are no membership fees, just pay and play for the days you want. From what it seems, they play once or twice a week usually, but it is not mandatory like other golf clubs to join, you can play when you want and where you want by adding a +1 on that event list as long as there is an opening.

If not, you can add yourself to the waiting list and they will let you know if you got in. It is a pretty relaxed group and like I’d stated above, not mandatory to play every game like with an official club, you only pay and play when you want.

However, I am the only foreigner there and sometimes would love to just meet and play with other foreigners. Not going though PGG, there are also “golf days” with most of the courses, such as New Tamshui Golf Club, which is just under 2K on Monday.

Not sure if there are any golfers left in Taiwan, since the last topic was opened in Sept '13. But if any Forumosan’s want to play, lets discuss more in this thread! I would love to have golf buddies in Taiwan just like back in the US!

Richard

IGST - Google it

International Golf Society of Taipei, thanks but I already knew that. However, like I was saying, it is a club with membership fees.

I am looking for more of a casual golfing with friends and buddies like back in the US.

The membership is only NT$5000 a year. There are usually 2 games per month, you can play as many or as few games as you like. At each game there are 4 prizes for ‘nearest the pin’, 8 stableford prizes and 2 longest drive prizes. Win the stableford and that’s a dozen Titleist Pro V 1s ($2000), The handicaps range from 2 to 36, average about 20, so it’s not an elite golfers club The members come from all walks of life, Probably 85% foreigners and 15% Taiwanese. If you join you will be playing casual golf with friends and buddies.

Thanks again N. So… are you in IGST? Can you advise how much per game is?

Well, all the games are on Saturdays so it’s weekend rates - usually green fees are $2900 or a bit more, depending on which course. The ‘home’ course is Tsai Hsing near Yangmei, about 40% of the games are played there. The rest can be anywhere from Hsinchu to North Bay (Jinshan). If you don’t have your own transport plenty of people leave from Taipei, so it’s possible to arrange a lift if that’s where you live. Starting times are usually 7:30 or 11am. Average numbers are 20-30 people, although last week there were close to 50. Guests are allowed 2 try-out games before they need to join. I think you need to submit 3 cards to get a handicap - then you can join all the competitions. Next game is this Saturday in Kuan Hsi, already 30 people signed up. The following game is at Taipei Golf Club, Linkou on Sept. 3rd. If you’re interested I can put you in as a guest.

In Taiwan for a few more days (Feb '17). Would love to play with an expat. I’m in Taipei visiting from the US to see if I could possibly teach golf here. I’m finding my Chinese is not quite up to par yet though. But would still love to get better lay of the golf land here before heading to China for the same reason.

Hey there, Washington DC guy here traveling around Asia and brought my clubs. Are you still on here looking for expats? I’m thinking Taiwan for a few weeks so let me know