How'd you handle moving away from your family?

My Taiwanese wife and I currently live in the US with our young child, and are making it fine here, but we both miss Taiwan and would like to move back.

We lived in Taiwan together for several years, and both of us have good opportunities awaiting us there.

The problem is, my family, particularly my parents, really really don’t want us to move back. They wouldn’t ever cut ties with us, but it would be a huge blow nonetheless.

So, for people who are living in Taiwan for the long term, did you ever run into a problem like this? And if so, how’d you handle it?

(I know it’s my own life and I can make my own decisions, but it’s still very difficult, at least for me.)

In a word, Skype.

2 Likes

Are you asking how you/they will cope?*

I guess its about continuing to be a “real” presence in their lives. Make sure they are on LINE, and - if you are from North America - use Whatsapp as a backup. Make sure they know how to check in on you on Facebook. Set up a blog and include a lot of pictures and short videos. Commit to a twice monthly or weekly video call, and then make sure you make it.

It might help to specifically map out how and when you will bridge the distances. What trips and holidays you will visit. And when they can visit you. Any way that you can make this as real as possible.

The world is so much “smaller” today than ever before. It really isn’t about the distance anymore; it’s about the amount of attention you can give each other.

* When they figure out how to move the island closer to your country, the next day, I will probably be moving it closer to mine

1 Like

Pretty sure there are plenty of people who came/stay here expressly because it’s far away from their family.

2 Likes

This is great advice, thanks.

What’s funny is that when we lived far away from them in the US, it wasn’t a problem, even though we hardly ever saw them in person (maybe once or twice a year). We probably communicated with them more when in Taiwan through video chats and Line. But they won’t hear it, as they still value proximity, the possibility of being a short flight away, and not being in the opposite time zone.

Since I’m getting a little older, they’re afraid I’ll be moving to Taiwan “for good”, and to be honest, they might be right. We’d probably be there for 5+ years at least.

I agree with GooseEgg’s advice. If you do plan on making the move. Make sure that they know what holidays you will be visiting and whether you’ll be communicating on a weekly, bi-weekly or monthly basis. If they are new to technology or actually do not have a device, it’s time to invest in one or teach them how to use it. It can be frustrating, but it will be beneficial for both parties.

I had the same exact situation when I was in the states. My parents and I were in NJ and sister was in Florida. However, communication was maybe a few phone calls or Facetime sessions a month, whereas when we moved to TW and sister stayed in FL, it was weekly calls and Facetime sessions.

Good luck with the decision!

1 Like