HTC is still ALIVE! (previously no more)

I’ve been a loyal HTC user ever since the HD2 which was a Windows phone! I later switched to HTC J —> HTC One M8 —> HTC 10 Evo (is my current phone).

The One M8 was by far the best phone I had. Lasted me over 2 years and was really reluctant to get rid of it.

Sad to see HTC go, but looking forward to see what Google will do.

1 Like

Most consumers have no idea about the software and hardware of a phone, they probably couldn’t even tell you want those two words mean. They failed to make their phone sexy to the dumb people of the world. If youre going to try to sell a phone at premium costs, you need to make it look and feel premium to the average consumer.

Maybe they will take the brand and revamp it give it what it needs: good marketing. I mean, it has a lot of potential, it just needs that little push…

Gosh, so many chances lost They even got Iron Man to do a commercial for them…And they did this:

https://youtu.be/-z4Cpmlzv1Y

Sigh

HTC is no more.
Correction…
Still alive baby!

The big announcement that everyone thought was a Google buy out was in fact a purchase of their Google Pixel team.

HTC has announced that its “Powered by HTC” R&D division – the team behind Google’s Pixel and Pixel XL smartphones – will be purchased by Google for $1.1 billion in cash. According to HTC’s CFO Peter Shen, this will mean about half – yes, half – of the 4,000 people in his company’s R&D team will be joining Google, but he emphasized that HTC will continue developing its own range of smartphones, including its next flagship product. The agreement also grants Google a non-exclusive license for HTC’s intellectual property. The deal is expected to be approved and closed by early 2018.

1 Like

Nokia anyone?

that was awful… who wrote this? and then approved it

Yeah, looks like HTC got a reprieve. They probably sold off their best part, are counting on the work already done on their next flagship to carry them through 2018, and start hiring new talent for whatever their plans are for 2019. Glad to see them stay around. Their last two phones–the 10 and U11–received very good reviews. We certainly like ours. And, they’re one of the few companies that make flagship phones to last. It’s also nice to see El Goog take an interest in Taiwan.

1 Like

This link was posted by HTC’s FB page about half an hour ago:

Just a comment on that TechCrunch article: HTC did not build the Nexus 6P; that was Huawei.

1 Like

Looks like a good deal for HTC. Google’s taking the risk.

Straight from the horse’s mouth:

1 Like

HTC tanked its own brand name by trying to cover every price range of the smart phone market. In doing so it stretched its R&D way too thin. It has some below average cheap phones that destroyed its reputation, and then some meh flagships that just fell short of Samsung and the others.

Its marketing strategy is atrocious. Naming every flagship HTC One is plain ludicrous.

I think this is a good move, as we know HTC R&D is capable of designing amazing hardware, and google’s branding will make it profitable.

2 Likes

At least the deal is being mentioned in BBC, DW and other foreign media. However, they mention advantages to Google and risks, HTC itself is barely registered.