Hualien mid-week

Does anyone have recommendations for places to stay in Hualien? I’m putting on my romance pants so hostels/ b and b’s are not really what I’d be into. I don’t think we’ll take in Taroko and I’d like to be close to the stone market as well. Any restaurants or sights around the town that could score me some points with my ladyfriend would be greatly appreciated also.

P.S. Has anyone been down the #14/ 8 in the last week?

Thanks in advance

Bian Cheng is v good for food. This is supposed to be their homepage but it’s not very informative.
http://www.wretch.cc/album/album.php?id=hualien55828

Restaurant is sort of below Linsen Bridge, south bank of the river, on the far side of the car-park.

How much money you wanna spend? The Farglory on the top of the hill just south of town and overlooking the town is the nicest place I can recall in or immediately around Hualien, but it’ll set you back maybe 4500-5000NT a night. Great great views, classy rooms, and a real good buffet breakfast. Cheesy interior design in the lobby and public areas but clean anyway. Here’s the English website:

http://www.farglory-hotel.com.tw/en/html/room_1.htm

There are a couple of weird boutique kind of places you could stay at, I’ll see if I can find some.

Kimamaya, cool Japanese BBQ place with sunken tables and handcrafted beer. 144 Bo Ai Rd. Maybe better for a later night snack and drink than the primary meal. Sounds like you want a hotel restaurant.

Qixingtan is a nice romantic place in the evening. Stroll along the beach. Get a coffee.

Liyu Lake also for the afternoon. Row of cool stylish B&B and cafes on south end. A place called Balanjoyo Café is cool. Owner imports coffee from Guatemala and does his own roasting outside. Place is all wood with Guatemalan furnishings. Nice place to stay as well especially mid-week.

[quote=“Mucha Man”]Qixingtan is a nice romantic place in the evening. Stroll along the beach. Get a coffee.
[/quote]
Didn’t Qixingtan have a little whitewashed hotel near the place the rent bikes back near the beach in the little town? Might not be the classiest of places but it’d have a great view and you could pick up bikes and ride em into town if the weather isn’t nasty. Then again, if the fighters are out doing training you might be woken up by roaring jets over your head.

Thanks for the help gentlemen. I’d like to just go and play it by ear but apparently that’s not the way things are done. This info will at least make it look like I was pro-active. As for renting bikes, exercise seems to be a four character word. That is good to know though.

[quote=“TwoTongues”][quote=“Muzha Man”]Qixingtan is a nice romantic place in the evening. Stroll along the beach. Get a coffee.
[/quote]
Didn’t Qixingtan have a little whitewashed hotel near the place the rent bikes back near the beach in the little town? Might not be the classiest of places but it’d have a great view and you could pick up bikes and ride em into town if the weather isn’t nasty. Then again, if the fighters are out doing training you might be woken up by roaring jets over your head.[/quote]

Hotel Bayview is what I think you are talking about. We are staying there in early January during our vacation. From the photos and everything we have been reading, it sounds like a nice place and it’s only a few steps from the beach. The runway is up the beach a bit so hopefully it won’t be too noisy there. Although I hope to see some fighters when I’m out with my camera.