I have an ROC passport with ID number. How to get the actual ID?

Hey guys, I am an overseas Chinese who lived all my life abroad. I got my ROC passport with ID number from my mom when she took us back for a while when we were young to fix the papers. As the government does not issue an actual card until you are 14, I have not gotten it then. I am now 31 years old. How do go about getting it now? I assume it should not be difficult as I already have a number and just need the actual card. Is this accurate?

I recently renewed my ROC passport with TECO and happy that my national id number is still printed on. They also stamped it saying that I am an overseas Chinese who have lived abroad all my life. I’m assuming that if I just follow the 4 months rule I should not have any trouble with military conscription.

Thanks guys!

Not sure, but you can find out for sure in the basement of the National Immigration Agency building on Guangzhou Street, behind the Hoping hospital. Or call them

immigration.gov.tw/mp.asp?mp=2

02-23899983

The former “Bureau of Entry and Exit” was incorporated into this.

You need to revive your hukou. After a 2-year absence, your residency is automatically revoked. But it’s an easy process to reactivate it. Just enter Taiwan using your Taiwan passport, then I think you go to the immigration bureau, then district office (區公所) to get your ID. Can do it in like 2 days.

I am an overseas Chinese as well. Once you have the overseas Chinese stamp on your ROC Passport from your local TECO office you can enter Taiwan, but before departure, you have to visit the National Immigration Agency headquarter(移民署)in Taipei in the basement to get an exit permit stamp. Bear in mind, the duration of your stay cannot excede 4 months in a 12-month period whether consecutive or in segments.

While you are in Taiwan, you should also reactivate your household registration (戶口)at the local district or township office (市、區公所). If you are still under your parents’ registration, you should bring any bills–water or electric–with the head of the household (戶長)listed to the office in case if they cannot accompany you. The process of obtaining an ID is quite simple. Once you have reactivated and reestablished your residence, the same clerk will be able to help you through the ID process. You should be able to obtain your ID on site. If this is your first time returning to Taiwan, you should also apply for the National Health ID card, but remember to deactive your membership before you leave, since the government will charge a monthly fee for your health insurance. If you have a drivers license from the US, you should also get it notorized by your local TECO office in order to “exchange” for an ROC drivers license.

Unless your Chinese proficiency is low, otherwise try to speak Mandarin or Taiwanese while you are conducting office businesses, after all you are a citizen of the ROC (Taiwan).

Good luck and welcome home.

[quote=“abercrombiesonyc”]I am an overseas Chinese as well. Once you have the overseas Chinese stamp on your ROC Passport from your local TECO office you can enter Taiwan, but before departure, you have to visit the National Immigration Agency headquarter(移民署)in Taipei in the basement to get an exit permit stamp. Bear in mind, the duration of your stay cannot excede 4 months in a 12-month period whether consecutive or in segments.

While you are in Taiwan, you should also reactivate your household registration (戶口)at the local district or township office (市、區公所). If you are still under your parents’ registration, you should bring any bills–water or electric–with the head of the household (戶長)listed to the office in case if they cannot accompany you. The process of obtaining an ID is quite simple. Once you have reactivated and reestablished your residence, the same clerk will be able to help you through the ID process. You should be able to obtain your ID on site. If this is your first time returning to Taiwan, you should also apply for the National Health ID card, but remember to deactive your membership before you leave, since the government will charge a monthly fee for your health insurance. If you have a drivers license from the US, you should also get it notorized by your local TECO office in order to “exchange” for an ROC drivers license.

Unless your Chinese proficiency is low, otherwise try to speak Mandarin or Taiwanese while you are conducting office businesses, after all you are a citizen of the ROC (Taiwan).

Good luck and welcome home.[/quote]

He won’t be eligible for NHI until he has lived here for 4 months unless he is employed. Those who live abroad and do not contribute have to wait to get NHI,

nhi.gov.tw/English/webdata/w … ta_id=3149

nhi.gov.tw/English/webdata/w … ta_id=3143