If done CT-scan, cant do MRI for six months?

Ortho did CT-scan of my back for chronic pain. Didnt find anything wrong with it. When I said can we do MRI to find out if any muscle injury he replied, they cant do MRI within six months of CT-scan on insurance(Taipei Veteran General Hospital). I will have to pay out of my pocket otherwise.

Is this really the rule here? Can anyone give the link to the rule? How much would it cost me to do back MRI without insurance?

Not aware of it, and a quick search didn’t have anything like that pop up. Although, I thought the reason not to take them within a short time span is because the radiation isn’t good for you.

I think with MRI there is no danger of radiation.

1 Like

https://www.nibib.nih.gov/science-education/science-topics/magnetic-resonance-imaging-mri

MRI machines do not use radiation - they use magnets.

Could the reason why you are being asked to pay out of pocket for the MRI scan be because your physician hasn’t ordered it?

I asked a senior radiologist about this at Taipei VGH. Here is his response (which is pretty much the same meaning as what I asked above):

All examinations are requested based on clinical needs. Whenever CT scan is done, if MRI is needed for decision-making to support clinical management, MRI should be done and reimbursed. Hoping these sentences answer your concerns. To make long story short, clinical status and needs decide the imaging scheduling protocol.

2 Likes

To be honest if they don’t think it will reveal anything, thus won’t let you do it via NHI, they are probably right. Try and find a good physiotherapist in the mean time.

If they do both, then all the credit cards in your wallet will stop working.

As mentioned above, they probably just think it’s a waste of very expensive machine time. I had a bunch of extensive (and very painful) testing, after which they basically said: yeah, your back is a bit fucked, and we can’t do anything about it.

For me personally - and several other people I’ve met - you just can’t beat regular exercise for pain management. I used to have pretty serious back issues from sitting in a chair all day. I make a point of doing a lot of core exercises (which includes all the musculature around your spine) and 10 years on I rarely get more than a twinge.

3 Likes

That could be a reason, but the Ortho specifically mentioned Six month gap between CT and MRI. In fact, he even suggested going to another department (Rheumatology) in the same hospital and see if they could circumvent 6 month rule, and do MRI.

Your Ortho is mistaken if that is the only reason cited. Besides, what would a 6 month rule like that accomplish logically?

If you like, PM me and I will give you the name of the physician who clarified their MRI policy so you can invite your doctor to consult with him directly.

1 Like

Thanks, but I have now taken Rheumatologist appt and will see what they say on this matter. Will PM you if I need help.

I have no idea.