Increase in prices of memory cards

I mean, like half up in price since I last bought them. I remember the prices kept dropping. What happened?!

The memory card business is VERY volatile. Prices go up and down frequently. Go check after some time and it should be down again.

Basically the big players are moving to a new technology platfirm and they hit some hiccups. There’s only a few key suppliers like Samsung and Micron.

The pull factor is the launch of many new phones especially iPhone 8, they are panicking and buying up stock in advance driving the forward price up!

Look out for a price crash end of year or so, it’s a typical commodity industry .

The thing is that I would have loved to have that high capacity card like, now, if possible. I was willing to pay 700 ntd, maybe 1000 ntd, but 2k for 128 MG I find a bit too much, especially because the device itself was only 2k.

Yep, Samsung is much recommended for the speed on several forums. However, US prices are all over the place.

My device says it can handle up to 2TB memory card. Should I really wait then for a higher capacity memory card?

There’s a flash memory shortage right now. These memory devices are like modern produce, their prices fluctuates just because some factory caught fire or some company decided to pull out from the business.

Just as an aside there’s a turkey of a Taiwanede company called nanya which was sunk in debt (billions and billions USD) and losses for years… I checked their stock and it went up something like 8 times from a few years ago… Which is crazy…but yeah typical commodity type stuff.

They’ll be bankrupt in a few years as Chinese throw money at this…price will drop fast.