Interested in buying corn tortillas?

That masa harina price slightly beats what you get ordering four bags on iHerb on a per kg. basis, so, not bad.

A bag accidentally falls into my suitcase when I go back to Texas on vacation.

to bring this back from the dead. any updates for 2020?
Quetzal Coatl seems to be defunct. no movement since 2017
my wifeā€™s friend Tacos Luca was selling masa until he went whole hog in his restaurant biz and has been busy lately.
we just opened a taco truck here in Tainan (http://www.facebook.com/mexcafetw)
but maiz tortillas are not really commercially viable.
btw, my wife says https://tw.iherb.com/pr/Bob-s-Red-Mill-Golden-Corn-Flour-Masa-Harina-22-oz-624-g/97755
bobs masa flour doesnt quite do the job.
we have seen MASECA n such on shoppeeā€¦ but its inconsistant.
any leads on good flour tortillas?
i need 4 inch and 10 inch.
Florida Bakeryā€™s are 14+ NTD x tortilla for the 10 inch (VS costcoā€™s 8.5ntd x tortilla)

Itā€™s weird because they are made by Florida bakery.

And I just had a look online, Costco is 8" .

Fabrica has 6, 8, 10, 12 inch.
They also have corn tortillas and flour.

Iā€™ve had bad luck with their corn tortillas, bought at the bakery. Went moldy very, very quickly. But that was a few years ago; may be different now.

Thereā€™s a different kind of cornmeal available at some Carrefour branches these days - P.A.N. Cornmeal, the pre-cooked white cornmeal. Package says itā€™s good for arepas, empanadas, cornbread, porridge, tamal, and corn pancakes. That probably means itā€™s NOT good for tortillas, but who knows, may be worth a shot.

For both flour and corn tortillas: I believe Florida / Fabrica is the only brand Iā€™ve seen here in the past few years. For corn tortillas at home, I use Bobā€™s Red Mill masa harina, or different kinds of masa bought in Canada and brought back here. Which, sadly, means that most of my corn tortillas also taste a bit stale because masa just doesnā€™t last that long.

Pan is different from tortilla flour. When you add water and mix it for awhile, it almost feels like mashed potatoes before you make them into arepas. I also use the Bobā€™s red mill from the fancy supermarkets or from iherb. Need to get my people to bring me over a big bag from Walmart for $1USD. Same for pintos and black beans. They have some lovely organic Dr Oko brand at Jasonā€™s that cook perfectly but they are expensive. http://www.droko.com/motion.asp?siteid=100530&menuid=13251&cat=13689

1 Like

Thanks for the cornflour explanation! And yeah itā€™s a bit disheartening in a North American supermarket to see how cheap many precious, precious products in Taiwan are.

God just a dumb salad in a bag. Iā€™d love those to be available at the local grocery store. Or a bag of mass-produced fluffy flatbread like naan.

You mean the pintos, right? Arenā€™t the black beans here soy beans, rather than the black beans typically used in North America?

This brand does occasionally have black beans that are not soy beans. They also offer really nice kidney beans. I wish I had a flour mill. One of my friends that left last year used to mill Dr. Oko wheat and rye for me. Most commercial whole grain flours have the bran removed for resale in another product.

1 Like

Interestingly, they had Harina Pan for arepas at Carrefour. Yes, it is not to be used for tortillas.

I do not like MASECA for tortillas or Florida Bakeryā€™s corn tortillas.

Black beans disappeared from most places here except a distributor in Taichung. Local is a whole different animal.

Iā€™ve been buying 10 inch Poco Loco corn tortillas at Jasonā€™s. Iā€™m no aficionado, but the family and I like them well enough.

2 Likes

Oh I canā€™t believe I forgot about them, Iā€™ve got two bags in the fridge! Iā€™m not a fan of them for tacos, but for casseroles they work well.

1 Like

I used the Pan for tortillas (smashed between two plates, did on pan) and I thought it was OK with my taco meat. I donā€™t know what I could have gotten at the store that would have been better, put it that way.

1 Like