Is Bluegrass dead in Taiwan since Mark went home?

Some of the most memorable times I have had here was doing bluegrass music. Started out at Citizen Cain and then later we ended up at Pig in Tiamu, then to Marks house near Nangung, at least until the cops came and sent us home. Damn it was great. I even bought a banjo and now it sits lonely in the corner. Mark went home to the states and now we just dont see each other any more. I have to admit that it was more fun for me to go and listen and have a scotch but these guys were awesome and made great music. Is it dead? Is anybody interested in doing it some more? I will make my home available if you need.
Guitar, Banjo, fiddle, bass (bassman will come I’m sure), cajun fiddle, mandolin, dobro, drums? Others are welcome PM me.
BTW, some of these guys are world famous. For example, Bassman played for Montovani on 3 tours. (Not bluegrass but don’t even try to keep up with him) Mike, the guitarist, has played backup for some of the most famous artists to visit Taiwan. We just need a group to enjoy.
Let me know.

Check out the Pinetop Surgeons if you can. They play around town often. I think their next gig is at the Nomad festival. I don’t know if they have a myspace or not but they play quite a bit.

Hey Buddy,

Long time no see. Well down here in Taichung I have a new band going called WaySoon. We’ve got the Banjo, Mandolin, Ukulele as well as Guitar, bass and drums… We’re probably more Newgrass than Bluegrass. I did start a facebook called bluegrass Taiwan, look for it.

We’ll be doing the Compass food festival down here on May 24th and working to get us into Canada Day if possible. That would be our first show up north.

I believe Pete and Ethan (PineTop Surgeons) are still plucking up that way though and WOW, they’ve got a true Bluegrass sound. I’ve enjoyed playing with them more than once.

Drop me a line when you can,

[quote=“Enigma”]Some of the most memorable times I have had here was doing bluegrass music. Started out at Citizen Cain and then later we ended up at Pig in Tiamu, then to Marks house near Nangung, at least until the cops came and sent us home. Damn it was great. I even bought a banjo and now it sits lonely in the corner. Mark went home to the states and now we just dont see each other any more. I have to admit that it was more fun for me to go and listen and have a scotch but these guys were awesome and made great music. Is it dead? Is anybody interested in doing it some more? I will make my home available if you need.
Guitar, Banjo, fiddle, bass (bassman will come I’m sure), cajun fiddle, mandolin, dobro, drums? Others are welcome PM me.
BTW, some of these guys are world famous. For example, Bassman played for Montovani on 3 tours. (Not bluegrass but don’t even try to keep up with him) Mike, the guitarist, has played backup for some of the most famous artists to visit Taiwan. We just need a group to enjoy.
Let me know.[/quote]

I wonder if you’re talking about Mark married to my Taiwanese friend, with four kids. I never had the pleasure of hearing him play with your band, I’m sorry to say, but I laughed at your ref to him going “home” because my kids and I keep insisting that someday they’ll come “home” to Taiwan :laughing:

I am still here and alive and well. I still play fiddle, banjo, and guitar. I am up for a jam if we can organize something.

Are there really other bluegrass/Old-time musicians in Taiwan ??? I don’t know.

Is there anybody out there??

Noel

[quote=“Noel”]I am still here and alive and well. I still play fiddle, banjo, and guitar. I am up for a jam if we can organize something.

Noel[/quote]

I tried learning fiddle years ago, but lost interest because of time. I say I sucked, but that’s because I only spent a couple months on it and nothing more and I have the natural musical ability of a fish.

Anyone up for teaching an old dog new tricks?

Nice to hear from you Noel. Been a long time. Are you still pickin’ and grinnin’?
Braxton; that’s the right “Mark”. How’s he doing? Say hi for me. I hope he does make it back “home”.
Landis; how’s the new home? We need to make it down your way some day soon. Maybe you and the wife unit can make it here for dinner some day soon. Bring your guitar.
If I schedule a buffet at my house, who’s on for it? Play some music and have some fun. What day is best?

A fiddle in hand and a song in your heart. How good can it get?

Hey Puppet - if you are really interested PM me and perhaps we can set something up.

Just so you know, I play Old -Time Appalachian fiddle and banjo. It is a bit different than Bluegrass. Some people can’t tell the difference (mind you, some people can’t tell the difference between what I play and Irish music, which is just weird), but there is one.

If you want to check out some of the stuff I do : ca.youtube.com/user/tssuila
Not my best work, but it gives you a general idea of style, etc. .

Noel

[quote=“Noel”]I am still here and alive and well. I still play fiddle, banjo, and guitar. I am up for a jam if we can organize something.

Noel[/quote]

Hey Noel,

I’m always up for a Jam. I’m in Taichung but get around a lot. Let me know if you work anything out. I’m new to the fiddle and would love to get some insight from you when we can. Working off of an Irish Fiddle DVD at the moment and taking lessons from a Classically trained Violinist down here (strange combo for sure)…

Appalachian fiddle music is very very close to celtic music, since most of it came over with the Scots and Irish who settled in the Appalachian hollers. Google a renowned Shetland fiddler named Aly Bain and see if you can find a download of a Brit TV series in which he traces the evolution of Shetland fiddle and jammed in Appalachia with a famed fiddler of the time (probably late 70s). Both were astonished to find themselves playing exactly the same tunes, albeit with different names.

[quote=“Noel”]Hey Puppet - if you are really interested PM me and perhaps we can set something up.

Just so you know, I play Old -Time Appalachian fiddle and banjo. It is a bit different than Bluegrass. Some people can’t tell the difference (mind you, some people can’t tell the difference between what I play and Irish music, which is just weird), but there is one.

If you want to check out some of the stuff I do : ca.youtube.com/user/tssuila
Not my best work, but it gives you a general idea of style, etc. .

Noel[/quote]

I’ll check it out soon. No speakers on this computer at work.

Appalachian fiddle music is very very close to celtic music, since most of it came over with the Scots and Irish who settled in the Appalachian hollers. Google a renowned Shetland fiddler named Aly Bain and see if you can find a download of a Brit TV series in which he traces the evolution of Shetland fiddle and jammed in Appalachia with a famed fiddler of the time (probably late 70s). Both were astonished to find themselves playing exactly the same tunes, albeit with different names.[/quote]

Hey Sandman I will have to disagree with you somewhat here. There are some similarities between the two traditions, that is true. Often the melody notes to some tunes are the same, but with a lot of the Celtic tunes the rhythm is completely different. They have a strong emphasis on the 1 and 3, found in the reels and jigs (on the jigs being the 1st beat of every triplet), and even found with the slip jigs and polkas (which is what makes them sound different to the continental polkas).

In the Appalachian Old Time traditions (and as a result, much of American music), there is a strong 2nd and 4th beat (the backbeat), which most likely came from African music. This fundamentally changes the feeling of alot of these tunes, which have much more of a “groove” than their Celtic cousins, which have more “drive” (to my ears). It is Boom- CHUK-a, versus DA da Da da. If this makes any sense.

To me it is like saying that a waltz, a reel, and a jig with similar melody notes all are the same song. The melody may be the same, but the rhythm is not. I can NOT play Irish music on the fiddle, and for the most part, the type of banjo that I play would sound silly doing so.

Appalachian Old-Time is a weird mix from Scottish, Irish, African, and Scandinavian music. Add about 200 years of mixing together, and there you go. A true “melting pot”.

This may seem like nit-picking, but I have been playing this music for 15+ years now, and I am sure you can guess how many times I have been asked how long I have been playing Irish music for … not that I don’t love the Celtic tunes, I do. I just can’t play them of the fiddle or banjo. Now the guitar is a different story …

Noel

Right. that’s why I said its very close. Which is, like, not the same as the same as. :wink:
I don’t play very much either celtic or Appalachian music (although I’m a bit of a whiz with a penny whistle). I’m just recounting the experiences of the above-mentioned Aly Bain (who, in addition to being perhaps Scotland’s foremost fiddler for many an age with the possible exception of Neil Gow, is also renowned in the field of musicology).
You know, you travel halfway across the globe, tune up on a fellow’s back porch and start playing essentially the same tunes, that’s got to be an interesting wee ploy.

I think Noel and I have worked out a plan. Meet at my place on the 23rd of May. I am near Yongning Station, about a 10 minute walk. That’s the south end of the blue line. Tuchen, Jhongyuan Rd, Section 3, No. 183. 2d floor, house number 1. Look for the hearts (posted by friends,) on my door. Car parking is easy and cheap at Yongning MRT, Exit 2. Motorcycle easy in front of security at my community. Door code is 183-02-1. PM me with an internet address and I will respond with a map to get you here. I’ll also include a cell phone number to contact me if you get turned around. Easy stuff.
It will be pot luck on the 23rd of May- also BYOB. Try not to appear before about 8:30-8:45 because I have other commitments at my home until 8:30. If you play, bring your instrument, if not, come and enjoy anyway. I can handle about 12 people in my living room, but if much more than that respond, I’ll try to get the community room but don’t let that stop you. I understand that Noel will show up and I suspect a few of the old regulars will also.
Actually, if you have no desire to play or learn, but simply enjoy the music, please come anyway. Kids, wives and others are welcome. Should be a good time. If it works out, perhaps we can schedule it for a monthly event.
If you need directions, please send an email address so I can attach a map.
Please come and enjoy. We haven’t done this for about 3 years and it’s time to get it going again.

[quote=“Enigma”]I think Noel and I have worked out a plan. Meet at my place on the 23rd of May. I am near Yongning Station, about a 10 minute walk. That’s the south end of the blue line. Tuchen, Jhongyuan Rd, Section 3, No. 183. 2d floor, house number 1. Look for the hearts (posted by friends,) on my door. Car parking is easy and cheap at Yongning MRT, Exit 2. Motorcycle easy in front of security at my community. Door code is 183-02-1. PM me with an internet address and I will respond with a map to get you here. I’ll also include a cell phone number to contact me if you get turned around. Easy stuff.
It will be pot luck on the 23rd of May- also BYOB. Try not to appear before about 8:30-8:45 because I have other commitments at my home until 8:30. If you play, bring your instrument, if not, come and enjoy anyway. I can handle about 12 people in my living room, but if much more than that respond, I’ll try to get the community room but don’t let that stop you. I understand that Noel will show up and I suspect a few of the old regulars will also.
Actually, if you have no desire to play or learn, but simply enjoy the music, please come anyway. Kids, wives and others are welcome. Should be a good time. If it works out, perhaps we can schedule it for a monthly event.
If you need directions, please send an email address so I can attach a map.
Please come and enjoy. We haven’t done this for about 3 years and it’s time to get it going again.[/quote]

Buddy that sounds like a blast but we have the Compass food Festival here that weekend and my band is playing. I’ll have to make it to the next one… Bummer, would have loved some more of your cooking.

It seems most musicians have gigs on Friday and Saturday so we have to re-think this a bit. Perhaps a 30 day advance notice is more appropriate and a Sunday early evening to an early shutdown would be better. Thus, after a conversation with Noel, we decided that June 21 at 7:00 will be much better. Same plan just different time and date. I think there is plenty of interest, its just that too many musicians are busy on Saturday and the notice was too short.

I see this discussion is pretty old. I’m looking for anyone who plays either the traditional Appalachian style (don’t like the term “Old-Time,” sounds like chewing Red Man while playing is required) or traditional Irish music. I have many years experience on both, having lived a long time in hotbeds of both styles. I play many of the core instruments of both styles, though am rusty on clawhammer banjo. Is anyone there? Is this guy named Noel still around? Sorry, I am not a regular here and am confused about how to post. Hope this message gets out.

dos,

Are you still looking for someone to play with? I am!

Hi:

Yes, still in business and hoping to find people to play with. Tell me
more about what you play and where you are.