Know any foreigners who lived here in the 70s or earlier?

The one benefit of smoking.

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”]Great site, Taipei looked a lot more Vietnamish back then.

Yes people were skinnier back then as well, now there are so many fat f*cks we just take it for normal.[/quote]

While Im sure it had slums and open sewers (as it does today) parts of Taipei also looked nicer and fresher, the picture of linkou looks almost nice! The air and the skies looked cleaner too, at least from the photos. The North was not so built up and less tall buildings too of course.

I was also very surprised by the fact that the women were dressed quite stylishly in a Western fashion and also looked hot then! Yummy mummies and grannies now LOL.

They were in signals intel, gathering radio and other electronic intelligence. And probably not soldiers, but airmen.

1 Like

They were in signals intel, gathering radio and other electronic intelligence. And probably not soldiers, but airmen.[/quote]
They could at the very least have availed themselves of a decent barber, though. And probably a halfway decent tailor.

They were in signals intel, gathering radio and other electronic intelligence. And probably not soldiers, but airmen.[/quote]
They could at the very least have availed themselves of a decent barber, though. And probably a halfway decent tailor.[/quote]
Indeed. But being airfarce, they can usually get away with that, and so much more.
Very slack. It’s a wonder how they have time for it, what with all that precision bombing and all that that entails.
I say,…, what?
Signed,
Col. Blimp

x2

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]

Yep the one uniform is air force.

The “Bar Map” in “Dawgs on the Town - Part I” is pretty cool. I guess at some point they decided to restrict everything to Shuang Cheng Street.

It was the Seventies. You could make that collective statement about the entire decade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tctPewsKKe4&feature=relmfu

Interesting video from the 70’s.

The guided missile site is still active.

It was the Seventies. You could make that collective statement about the entire decade.[/quote]
How DARE you! In the early 70s I was wearing dyed red hair and Alladdin Sane makeup. These jokers have no sartorial panache whatsoever!

I know one of the guys who is in several of those photos. He came here as a 20-year-old circa 1960, and is still here more than 50 years later. He married a China Airlines air stewardess and had three daughters. He’s been working as a translator for the government here for many years, now primarily at the Tourism Bureau.

1 Like

That is so cool! What is with the business card that says: “We have the ugliest girls in Taipei. But they are nice and clean. You will never regret stopping here.” Ha, what?

For me what was interesting/freaky was seeing Linkou back then, full of Americans. Man when I lived in that place in 2000 and whenever it was like a totally different world, not a Westerner in sight. Not a Western sign in a single shop. Like some weird time warp thing. Like maybe I arrived 40 to 50 years too late! So strange to see Linkou like that. You have also gotta look at those pictures and think that is why Taiwanese assume all white people are American. Some sort of post hangover effect.

There it is!

youtube.com/watch?v=eqf6zzIT … re=related

back in the day it was a different picture no doubt

and film making has come a long long ways too :

youtube.com/watch?v=_fTeb7W- … re=related