Leaving Taipei to Shanghai for work?

Ok, so no official contract is drawn up yet, but they are willing to give me more than I expected.

offering help setting up and getting a place and covering some of the cost. Along with offering to cover transportation. The salary is good, and they actually are offering me a partnership as well not just a salary if I was willing to commit. And it’s a high end gym, so i’d be working with celebrities like jay chou and victoria secret and their models with a working relationship with people like that already on the regular basis.

They really like me and want me on board asap. I’m very tempted now, it a better job than I can get here and lots of opportunity for growth, as we have fighters and will work with a big pro MMA league there.

It’s a bit unreal, i feel like it’s a job that everything I worked in since I came to taiwan culminated into with my skill set and experience.

the downside is it’s in China at this point.

Give it a go. You can always come back if your lungs can’t handle it anymore!

Well it is one way to get ahead. drink the blood! Its not all bad. Bottom line for me would be if I had a way back though. Also I would go in person and make sure that the gym actually exists and the story looks bona fida. Seriously you never know…

the guy running the whole show is a buddy of mine.

1 Like

I do have to talk about it with the gf. It would be a big move for both of us. It’s one of the nicest facility and set up i’ve seen. Like really legit. I would pay a lot to go to it here. But people in Taiwan are cheap about gyms and don’t care about real athletic training or can’t afford it. So not a lot of good trainers and state of the art stuff here.

Might have to adapt the policy of being offended when people ask if you are Chinese. :crazy_face:

Could be worse though. Everything in context. It’s a big world out there.

I might just say i’m American, i’ve done that before in China to avoid the taiwan is a province talk.

1 Like

sounds good. personally i wouldn’t get that hyped about career stuff there might be more opportunity’s and more money but even as a chinese you can only go so far in china, let alone a foreigner.

I would visit first or ask for a trial run.

I don’t know about fancy jobs like yours, but most jobs in Taiwan and Taiwanese owned companies in China get a 3 month trial period.

I think the selling point is i’d be working with businesses and people that are already established like Nike, pro sports leagues. So i would have a chance in making contacts that has to do with the fitness industry without being stuck in the fitness industry like in Taiwan. My best hope in taiwan if I wanted to work in the fitness industry is at best open my own small gym or something. So i was really hesitant to stay on this route.

I think if I really did not want to be there, I could just leave. The reason my name was brought up was because I know and have worked with some of the people involved. I have a personal relationship with them so I don’t think they would hold it against me if I did not think it was working out for me. BUT the problem is, if I go and my gf goes with me. She will be apply for school there since she decided to go after taking time off. So that is one of the problems. I have to make sure she can get into school there, and if we decided we are moving, I would hate for me to say I don’t want to be there when she has no time to apply for school next year.

Shanghai is a pretty nice place. Serious money and action there. Go for it. I have worked in random places around the world and don’t regret it for a minute. Staying in one place all ones life is BORING! Not sure why you would not like it unless you get hung up and obsessed over the whole silly political thing and try to become some sort of crusader.

The air pollution in Shanghai is less than Taipei today http://aqicn.org/map/world/#@g/31.2471/121.4624/12z is a great resource to keep track.

The first half of your reply seemed like a lot of assumption. I’ll play the devil’s advocate…

Yes, you have personal relationships with them, but at the same time, they are not only investing in you being there, they are also giving you a package which probably has some contracts in there with heavy cancellation fees.

Let’s just say you go, you have a good client base that are big names and then you leave. Let’s face it, your predecessor is a noob and isn’t up to your standards and the clients leave and your friends/partners lose face. Nobody wants to lose face, especially from the rich and the famous.

Definitely consider their position if you were to just come and go. Your friends may not hold it against you, but their business could also take a hit with the loss of your expertise.

As for the gf and school, I’ll go back to my previous post and say that you both need a visit. Her main priority is school, right? Or is she applying to SHA because you plan on working there? She should consider if she’ll like the school, has the courses she wants to take and sees herself there. Ya know, the whole college decision thing.

Communication with the gf is so key here. You’re kind of unsure of going, but if she gets into school and goes for four years and you end up hating it there, but having being stuck there for four years while she finishes school…that’s no fun. What about the scenario where you really can’t stay and you come back to TW and wait for her to finish up school? If communication and your relationship is strong, no distance will keep you guys apart.

Personally, I think it’s a pretty awesome opportunity, but yes…it’s in China. Blegh.

@Andrew0409, I’ll second the part about the cancellation fees. My contract has a clause that if I quit within X years after moving, I would have to pay back the entire moving expenses and any bonuses. That would not have been cheap. This is usually standard procedure to prevent people from quitting in the first few months if they don’t like it. I’d ask to see the agreement first to just make sure you know what you’re getting into on the legal side. Likely it will be at least one year.

I’m guessing that your gym is in Puxi or high-end Pudong. You’ll want to live nearby, at least a reasonable compromise between your gym and the GF’s school. The public transportation system of Shanghai is awesome, as a general statement, with a very thorough subway and bus system. You don’t need a car to just get around. Taxis in Shanghai can suck, but it’s not as bad as Beijing. Also, Didi is your friend, for late nights or airport runs.

If I were you I would try to live within walking distance or no more than a few subway stops from work. The 地铁 lines are all numbered, and the oldest line is Line No 1. For quality of life / sanity reasons, try to engineer your life to avoid daily rides on older subway lines which tend to be more crowded and also less well air conditioned. Higher number lines = more space and better air.

Housing prices have skyrocketed in Shanghai and rents have risen to reflect this. I’m guessing you already know this, but unless you can tolerate a hellish commute, you will be paying far more for your rent than whatever you’re paying here. The quality of construction varies greatly, so be picky. I found that places completed at or slightly after the peak of the commodities boom (2009-13) were the worst – paper thin walls, cheap plastic pipes, gas leaks, etc. As a general statement, older construction is better. Most estate agents are criminals and time wasters, although it sounds like you have that covered. Oh, and Shanghai landlords will rip you off at every turn. Pro tip: work your contacts and find a Taiwanese landlord.

The issues you identified re food and restaurants are real. You are going to encounter issues from tainted food and/or low hygiene standards. Everybody does. But for me, it wasn’t a frequent problem. I was there for about 2.5 years and ate as much and as widely as I could. The range of cuisines reflects Shanghai’s status as an international city and business center of China. So in a sense it’s better than Taipei, with the caveat that every now and then what you eat will leave you sitting on the hopper for the subsequent 36 hours.

I didn’t hear much Beijing putonghua with the offensive “rrr” thing. The locals speak Shanghainese and Mandarin with their own, varyingly horrible, accent. A lot of the people you encounter are from Zhejiang or Jiangsu. Also a lot of folks from Anhui, speaking a version of Mandarin that I found impenetrable. I don’t see Shanghai as a great place to learn Mandarin, and there a lot of foreigners who may have learned Chinese elsewhere, or who just get stuck speaking their own jive. It’s a big city.

The fact that it’s a big city has its downsides. You have to travel far and spend a lot of money to get the hell out. Before I got there, I had visions of spending my holidays traveling to all sorts of cool places in China that I thought I wanted to see. But I got tired of endless grey skies and dirt, and the thought of what it was doing to my lungs. And I got tired of China, frankly. So what actually occcured is, I got on a plane to some other country, usually Taiwan or Japan, almost every chance I got. I don’t hate Shanghai, but it is a city that requires an antidote, from time to time.

I was a member at the Ambassy gym which was somewhat high end although probably not as fancy as your prospective place. I thought it was a good gym culture. The clientele was maybe 50-50 locals and foreigners. Most everyone was there to work out and I don’t recall having to wait to use equipment because someone was playing angry birds while lounging on the bench.

Bottom line: if it’s as good of a job as you make it sound, and if it fits your ambitions, my advice is to take it.

I lived in Shanghai for two years working as an education consultant and starting my own business. I came to Taipei once for a wedding and quit my job and moved within a month. Yeah, you will probably make more money in Shanghai, but that’s the only benefit to me. The air is polluted, the water is disgusting, the cost of living continues to skyrocket, and it is incredibly crowded, which wouldn’t be such a problem but people are mean compared to people in Taiwan. It is not as gross as Beijing, but I have never gotten sick of food in Taipei or felt unsure about eating somewhere. Some of the worst food poisoning I ever got in Shanghai was from restaurants I had been to previously. It is all luck of the draw.

I found it harder to make friends in Shanghai. The ones I had were my coworkers, and it was only the expats. Locals I tried to meet really just wanted to practice English, and many of the other expats I met were depressed drunks who probably should have gone home years ago and can’t or won’t. Just looking at people on the street, too, people don’t ever seem happy in Shanghai. People truly seem happy in Taipei. I’ve also never nearly been hit by a car here, or been gut-checked by an old woman rushing to get on a bus I wasn’t even getting on anyway.

I admit that a lot of what colors my feelings about Shanghai was my work experience, which was not what I wanted it to be. And I have a very strong soft spot for Taiwan and want to see it thrive in every possible way. And, of course, you have to do you. But my advice? Taipei, all the way.

2 Likes

The silly political thing is freedom versus being clamped in a box and told to shut your fucking mouth or else.

1 Like

uh yea, silly? understatement much

I agree with almost all of this, for the record. Shanghai,
Ike China as a whole, sucks. But I lived via my job, and that worked for me. It’s not impossible to make friends in Shanghai, but yeah all of my PRC friends were work-related. I didn’t really work at making friends among the expatriate community but I’m old and I was busy and I didn’t care very much (and they were depressed drunks, it’s true).

After my gig there ended, I came back here. Why? Better quality of life, by far, with no room for argument. But more importantly, my gig there had ended. I didn’t leave because I hated it. I left because it was no longer paying me to be there.

It really boils down to having a career vs not having a career. At my age, it don’t matter. But for a young 'un, career is a big deal.

If somebody were offering me real coin to move to Shanghai in order to help the world’s most beautiful women hone their already-perfect buttocks, muscular supple thighs, and other smooth and creamy bits and parts into a state of even more sublimely perfect sublimity and perfection, my choice – and my conscience, sir – would be clear.

OP, in my personal opinion, which may be wrong – take the fucking money and enjoy the ride.

Well said sir!

I agree fully for young 'uns career is really important. Getting paid good coin to do that stuff is a no brainer imho. Live it!

I think I would go if I was on my own, but it’s hard for me to ask my gf to move to a place she would hate and I have a feeling she wouldn’t like shanghai very much. I think we may have to fly out a weekend and see it for ourselves.