Leaving Taiwan: a checklist

Six years and seven months it’s been, but my time in what has to be one of the world’s most fascinating countries has come to an end. In case anyone else sadly finds themselves packing up after a long stay, here are some facts I have learned in the process:

[ul]Money[/ul]

I bank at the post office. Transferring money from there to a US bank account is no hassle (provided you already have a US bank account). All I needed was the swift code and my account number, though not every bank offers wire transfer services. The total charges including any intermediary fees left me minus US$10 on my transfer of US$3,000. Not a bad deal at all, though the current exchange rate to USD is extraordinarily unfortunate.

For future transfers back to relatives in Taiwan, I plan to open a credit union (not bank) account and send them the ATM card. A friend who is much smarter than I has informed me that many credit unions do not charge for overseas withdrawals.

[ul]Stuff[/ul]

How hard is it to pack up 6.5833333 years of your life? Surprisingly not so bad. In addition to two not entirely filled suitcases, it has taken me three (not so) “large”-sized cardboard boxes sent via surface mail. They say it takes up to two months and can’t guarantee anything not made of titanium will survive, but its’ an economical option. The first box weighed in at 19 kg and cost me NT$2,100, as I recall. I have one large wooden box that is bigger than the post office’s maximum dimensions and I haven’t figured this part out yet.

[ul]Cats[/ul]

This is of course the biggest challenge. I couldn’t possibly leave my two cats behind! The specific restrictions vary based on basically everything, but here’s my rundown. They got their last shots in July, so it’s more than 6 months and less than 1 year; they’re microchipped; they’re in good health. Within one week of takeoff, I need to take them to a BAPHIQ (防疫檢疫局) station for a final animal export report (requires an appointment ahead of time), and then they’re free to leave the country with me. There’s one in Songshan Airport, but I don’t think there’s one at Taoyuan.

I’m flying United, which is not my favorite airline, because only they and Delta let you do this!

PS, two people are needed for two cats (and three for three cats, etc). Click on the picture for specific info on acceptable pet carriers for the cabin. It costs an extra US$125 per pet and as far as I know must be booked through a United agent (which brings a kind of silly service fee of I think NT$800). The agent who assisted me was very nice and is extremely easy to reach – she usually picks up the main customer service line after just a few rings, no labyrinthine menu system involved. As for the flight, I’m going to give each cat water in the plastic cups they provide but won’t feed them until we land.

As far as I know, all I have to do when entering California is produce the cats’ documents and I’m free to carry them in like any non-organic carry-on luggage. Boarding is likely to be a bit more of a hassle because the carrier has to go through the X-ray machine while the cat obviously can’t, so I think we’ll have to hold them as we go through the metal detectors.

[ul]Wife[/ul]

Bringing my wife is one of the bigger issues. She’s coming with me but is only staying for two weeks because we have an I-130 (immigration visa) in processing. I’ve hired an immigration lawyer to make the process take as little time as possible, but he said it could still be up to 10 months before she can legally reside in the US. This will be a very tough year.

[ul]Taxes and ARC[/ul]

I converted my work-based ARC to a spouse-based JFRV, and it’s valid through January 2016. Hopefully I’ll visit again before then to renew it. Why? I don’t know, it’s just nice to retain some connection to the island.

I have to file 2014 taxes before leaving or I may not be welcome next visit, so I’ve asked my company to give me my tax forms for last year ASAP. They’re taking their time… According to the tax administration, I need to file 10 days before departure, and since I live in New Taipei, I have to head out to the middle-of-nowhere tax office halfway between Zhonghe and Banqiao. Great.

I’ll land in California later this month, so if there are any additional notes/problems I’ll let you all know. Hope this information helps other people packing up and moving out a bit.

What you are leaving??? You are practically an institution there.

Will you be in Bay Area? Let’s hang out .

Highly personal reasons (mostly family-related, but also some health-related) have convinced me the prospects of building a career/future in the US or perhaps somewhere else is a better option. I sincerely hope I can return in a few years, but the future is uncertain.

Understood. It is what it is sometimes. I have been in exile in California for near 16 years now !

By the way, just because your wife is going thru I-130 does not mean she cant come in on visa free (she gets that being a TW citizen right). And she can stay up to six months of the calendar too i think.

Good luck to you in CAlifornia . Theres a lot thats good here too.

After 16 years I am starting to call it “home”.

You speak good Chinese so mission accomplished, I guess. You’ll be able to get a highly paid job in SV if you look around enough.

The tax office is close to the Banqiao train station as I remember, that’s where I went to get the tax documents when getting my APRC.

thanks for the cat info. wonder how your cats are going to handle air travel…

are they getting used to the airline approved pet carriers?

Damn I would have looked you up when I was last in town if I knew you were leaving so soon. Best of luck in the future and do stay on the boards.

The middle of nowhere -actually, next to the morgue- wasn’t it NIA? I usually do my taxes close to my home in Xindian, my colleagues that live in Taipei city go to Zhonghua road. Isn’t there a closer/more convenient local office?

I feel like we are about to lose a balanced Man on the Ground on the Wan here. But hopefully he will come up with some good Taiwan viewpoints from Space (ie CAhLeeforneeah)

Take pineapple cake, tea … stinky tofu!

I know. Pretty soon Fcom is going to be all posters who have left. :laughing:

I know. Pretty soon Fcom is going to be all posters who have left. :laughing:[/quote]

I seriously wonder if the immigration people will let your wife in when they see she has an immigration petition pending. It’s a gamble you’re taking, especially after stating that you are moving back home. I would really like to know whether they let her in or send her back to Taiwan to wait for the immigration petition to finish.

No need to wonder. I’ve found an immigration lawyer (I think I wrote that somewhere above… maybe I forgot) for about US$1,000, which is a lot of money but when you think about how long we’ll be working together, it’s not so bad. He encouraged me to start the application process before we head there because the fact that she’s begun applying from outside of the US means she expects to receive notification of a successful application while outside the US. In other words, it’s proof that her entry into the country is just temporary. She by the way has a valid visitor visa for multiple entries, so it’s really a non-issue.

(By the way, we’ve only just gotten the ball rolling on paperwork, so it’s a good chance that when we get there, customs won’t even have it on file yet that we’re applying.)

No need to wonder. I’ve found an immigration lawyer (I think I wrote that somewhere above… maybe I forgot) for about US$1,000, which is a lot of money but when you think about how long we’ll be working together, it’s not so bad. He encouraged me to start the application process before we head there because the fact that she’s begun applying from outside of the US means she expects to receive notification of a successful application while outside the US. In other words, it’s proof that her entry into the country is just temporary. She by the way has a valid visitor visa for multiple entries, so it’s really a non-issue.

(By the way, we’ve only just gotten the ball rolling on paperwork, so it’s a good chance that when we get there, customs won’t even have it on file yet that we’re applying.)[/quote]

I don’t think I was clear. I meant if they would admit her for two weeks on a tourist visa when the I-130 is pending. I don’t doubt she will be admitted after the 9-12 month period.

Most of the time they are concerned you will file an adjustment of status once in the USA, bypassing the official immigration procedure. It really depends on the particular immigration officer at the port of entry, whether he thinks she has immigration intent or not. Having an I-130 in progress is sorta stating she intends to immigrate. A visa doesn’t mean guaranteed admission. People have done what you plan to (stay a few weeks then leave), so it’s possible they won’t think anything of the pending petition.

I know. Pretty soon Fcom is going to be all posters who have left. :laughing:[/quote]

Well there will always be the newbies trolling by, then theres Icon :slight_smile:

Well my one penny. When my now wife was going thru the i-129. Which is not much different then the I-130. Except that in the I-129 fiancee visa petition they suspect you may not marry your fiancee. While in the I-130 they suspect your marriage is fake. There was no express provision that the applicant can NOT have set foot in the USA during the process. Just that you had to list all the times one had visited the USA. The important thing that i gathered was that one must NEVER have overstayed a visa in the USA. That would be a major red flag and could get a life time ban to the USA. But I don’t recall any problems with visiting with a proper visa.

So Hok’s wife should be able to enter the USA freely as a TW citizen or in her case with her proper visa… And just make doggone sure she does NOT overstay by even one minute. Keeping her nose clean should not impact her I-130 petition.

The thing is though that he and she should enter the US-Immi together and at the US Citizens line. Hok can go first and explain his wife following with a proper visa and that they are doing the I130 , and she will only be there a short time. Or he could just say nothing and let her go in the Tourist line?

Should be fine.

No offense, but I’m inclined to take the advice of my lawyer over Internet forum advice. If he says it’s going to be OK, it’s probably going to be OK.

Sorry to see you leave. I’m happy that I got the chance to meet you and your wife IRL a couple of weeks ago at Macho Taco. You’re a level-headed guy so I’m sure you’ll be successful wherever you end up. And, of course, you WILL be back…at least to introduce future baby Hokwongwei to the grandparents here :wink: