Legalized prostitution zones in Taiwan

:left_speech_bubble: Go to your bosom: Knock there, and ask your heart what it doth know. — William Shakespeare

4 Likes

That settles it. Let the Robot Revolution begin!
:grinning: :robot: :robot: :robot: :robot: :robot:

You objected to leaving it up to sex workers to decide if sex work should be criminalized or not but only offered a vague “because it’s harmful to society” and it’s “human trade” to justify denying them the right to choose. Care to clarify why you think you should decide instead?

I’m saying any members of society have right to voice their opinions and involve in the decision whether a specific business is legal or illegal, or need some regulations or not.

In the case of human trade, I believe it’s a crime in most countries even if both parties have unforced consents. Societies have decided it as a crime.

How about drugs? Even if traders and consumers have unforced consents, I believe it is illegal in many countries too. They don’t leave it up to the parties concerned.

In the case of same sex marriage in taiwan, who made the decision was not the persons concerned, but the Taiwanese whole society.

“Let them decide” is still a voice from outsiders.

If someone is employed with a salary lower than minimum wage, it’s illegal even if the person has no complaint about it.

Those who are talking on the right of abortion are not only who might need abortion.

Not Taiwan, apparently, so I guess that’s that. Case closed.

Article 91-1 of the Social Order Maintenance Act has stipulations for a legalized government-monitored prostitution zone that call for the sex trade venues to be licensed, to not employ minors, to not engage in human trafficking, provide regular health checkups, to be shut down if employees are found to have been infected with diseases, and to not advertise their services in publicly accessible places.

I think we have to look at it in a way that is outside of our sense of morality and current crimes being negative therefore a good law.

It’s whether the laws at the end really benefit society or does it cause more harm than good. For example, you can make a strong case that alcohol should be illegal easily. It’s causes a lot of problems in society and it’s a fact that it’s not good for our health. But is making it illegal to protect society, alcoholics, children, who whoever else really beneficial to society or just harmful.

If laws are cussing more harm than good even if it logically makes sense or is suppose to help and be good. It not a good law. We can leave it up to our own individual moral senses to abstain from it. Legalizing prostitution isn’t going to going to cause a significant or any more people to do it than now. It’s already happening.

I’ve never claimed prostitution should be illegal, but just arguing against the claim that legal or illegal should be decided only by prostituts.

I take a more libertarian approach to it. If people want to do it, they will and do. So in the end the prostitutes still really decide. Laws aren’t that useful curbing certain activities.

I believe sex trade and human trade are different things. Though, “against one’s free will” might be a compulsory element of human trade, so I’m withdrawing it from my cases now.

when did I say prostitution is harmful to society and it’s human trade?

this and “others should not say anything” are two different claims.

Human nature is harmful to society. Morality is about managing this problem. That’s why it feels so damn restrictive.

The various attempts to manage human nature introduce problems of their own. Such is the nature of treating symptoms. Swapping out one set of societal strictures for another won’t fix this, as a little comparison of cultures will quickly show.

You can’t stop the rain, but you can wear a raincoat.

Are you talking about condoms?

3 Likes

So how much does a well-heeled lady of the night make in Taiwan, anyway? And I don’t mean the 1% at the top raking in millions per month, I mean attractive but somewhere in the middle of the pack. Are we talking NT$100k/month? $200k? More?

Asking for a friend.

1 Like

Outcall is standard 5k

For a friend from a friend.

A well heeled young lady from a KTV makes a few thousand or more a night on tips inside the KTV maybe three or four nights a week or more. Going out after request is all-in anywhere from 8000 to 12000 or more and that is all outside not including whatever KTV time you have already spent. People mistakenly KTV girls all are working extra services but that is not true. Some go out once a month or once a week or a couple times a week it’s all different. Of course the more popular girls get more business and they develop regular clientele that even offer more tips.

A not so well healed older woman in Wanhua District around 1000 or less if you’re a 75 year old local man. These may go out a couple times a week or even a couple times a day.

And there are some variances in both of those prices in different locations around Taiwan.

Dial a date starts around 3000.

1 Like

Versus half or more of everything you own to maybe have sex with a woman who considers it her mission to suck all the fun out of your life and make you sorry you ever laid eyes on her.

No wonder they want to put the competition behind bars.

2 Likes

:trophy:

Didn’t someone say earlier in this thread that there aren’t any licensed venues? (Just trying to get the facts straight.)

:older_woman: :face_with_head_bandage: :eek:

2 Likes

I don’t think anyplace in Taiwan has taken up the option. Taipei Mayor Ko P is one that mentioned doing it in Wanhua.

So it’s all over Taiwan, but not being regulated or designated into certain zones.

I’m not sure if this already mentioned, but, as of 2016, there remained 6 licensed brothels and 21 licenced prostitutes.

1 Like