Let's talk about Trump

He seems to have burned a lot of those bridges. To some degree the party will line up behind him, but they’re not just going to bend to his will either.

Doesn’t matter , the GOP knows , ugly as it may be, that the TRuMP is their ONLy bet against the wicked witch Clinton.

That is true but they have to look down the road too. If he won’t retract some of his previous positions, people are going to have to decide what they want to be attached to for the future, what the party is going to look like in the future, and its potential to win future elections. The old-timers are just going to support the nominee, for sure. The young people should think carefully.

Interesting conversation here

fivethirtyeight.com/features/is- … mps-party/

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]
Interesting conversation here[/quote]
fivethirtyeight.com/features/is- … mps-party/[/quote]

[quote]I think conservatives want to know, does he share our values and our principles on limited government, the proper role of the executive, adherence to the Constitution?[/quote] – Paul Ryan

Translation: is he on board with the Patriot Act, endless recreational warfare, drone lynchings, torture, domestic surveillance by the NSA, civil forfeiture, Gulagtanamo . . . ?

[quote=“Winston Smith”]
Translation: is he on board with the Patriot Act, endless recreational warfare, drone lynchings, torture, domestic surveillance by the NSA, civil forfeiture, Gulagtanamo . . . ?[/quote]

Yeah, Obama really ought to clean up his act.

Trump has a LOT of support among the white working class. And he has more then 40pct chance of clinching it.

If he does we could be in for an ass-clinching 4 years of Trump presidency.

[quote=“Dog’s_Breakfast”][quote=“Winston Smith”]
Translation: is he on board with the Patriot Act, endless recreational warfare, drone lynchings, torture, domestic surveillance by the NSA, civil forfeiture, Gulagtanamo . . . ?[/quote]

Yeah, Obama really ought to clean up his act.[/quote]

The paint was barely dry on BO’s Nobel Peace Prize when he decided to jettison his campaign rhetoric and climb on board. HRH is on board. Trump’s problem is he has too much money so he doesn’t need to sell his soul.

Carlin interview predicts Trump:

Also Simpsons (though it got the year wrong).

[quote=“Winston Smith”]
his campaign rhetoric [/quote]

If he was ever going to really do it, it wouldn’t have been rhetoric, would it? :slight_smile:

Anyway, I won’t sweat Trump too much as our chief Politburo selector. Now Cruz, that would have been ass-clenching! Trump shouldn’t be more than a mild pucker. Win-win

[quote=“Tempo Gain”][quote=“Winston Smith”]
his campaign rhetoric [/quote]

If he was ever going to really do it, it wouldn’t have been rhetoric, would it? :slight_smile:

Anyway, I won’t sweat Trump too much as our chief Politburo selector. Now Cruz, that would have been ass-clenching! Trump shouldn’t be more than a mild pucker. Win-win[/quote]
Supreme Court.

If Trump wins, it would reward the Republicans for their year-long blockage of Obama’s nomination, making this unacceptable tactic OK in their view.

Trump would then nominate another Scalia, dashing any hope of the Supreme Court becoming liberal again in our lifetimes. Kiss goodbye to abortion rights and church/state separation.

For freedom’s sake, Trump must not win.

Chris: Pick up those smelling salts and sniff away. I do believe you are having an attack of the vapors.

[quote=“Chris”]Trump would then nominate another Scalia, dashing any hope of the Supreme Court becoming liberal again in our lifetimes. Kiss goodbye to abortion rights and church/state separation.

For freedom’s sake, Trump must not win.[/quote]

That’s the problem with politburocracy. One unelected, unaccountable public official with lifetime tenure can impose his or her will on an entire society and then you can kiss freedom and democracy goodbye.

nytimes.com/politics/first-d … x-returns/

“There’s nothing to learn from them,” Mr. Trump told The A.P., explaining that he did not think voters were particularly interested in the contents of his returns.

If Trump wins, it’s time to invest in Brawndo. (It’s got electrolytes.)

dailykos.com/story/2016/05/1 … t-justices

Ouch. Backtrack

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/05/11/1525408/-Trump-promises-to-deliver-four-or-five-anti-abortion-Supreme-Court-justices

Ouch. Backtrack[/quote]

Saw that on Bill O’Reily. I think he will backtrack on that one, but right now his focus is on bringing the party together, hard to do when everyones calling you a liberal. He could have thrown Paul Ryan under a bus, Trump supporters and Palin were lining up to “Cantor” him come November, yet he has spoken very kindly of Ryan leading up to a meeting they have on Thursday. If he can get Ryan onboard it will be a good weeks work.

I’m backtracking! Mistaken speculation corrected

Stewart nails it on Trump’s nomination:

I voted for Marco Rubio, but I think Trump has a chance to pull this off. If he puts the Midwest and mid-Atlantic states back in play for the GOP, goodbye Hillary!