Life on Penghu - Advice?

i’ll find the business card if anyone cares but this thread has been long dead so i assumed no one reading was on the island.

No worries. I’m planning to go to spend a week in Penghu before Penghu Fireworks Festival 2019, Apr 18 - Jun 27 stops and before the winds start.

Is this it?

https://www.facebook.com/argliu/

Here’s a Google Maps link (I hope).

1 Like

Nevermind

never mind what? you didn’t say anything?

It won’t let me delete the post. Sorry. It was about empanadas

nice writeup

1 Like

Well it’s time for Life in Penghu-Advice round 2, I guess we should call it Moving to Penghu-Advice?

2 years ago my wife and I stayed in Penghu for a few months just after she had given birth to our first son. We had planned on moving there to be closer to her family while the baby was little, but the lack of work and decent housing drove us back to Taipei. 2 years and 1 pregnant wife later, we are officially moving to Penghu. We’ve saved up enough to live for about a year without working (After 9 years of full time teaching in Taipei private schools I could use a break).

So I will ask the same questions I did two years ago. If anyone has knowledge on the subject please feel free to share. Thank you!

1. Western hangouts, what are some popular western restaraunts/bars?

2. Sports, where do people play Bball on the island? Is there a community gym?

3. Housing, what websites are used to find decent housing in Magong?

4. Jobs, how many public schools hire certified teachers?
    How many buxibans/kindergartens hire foreign teachers in the island?
    Are there any non teaching jobs I could get into?

5. Buy a scooter/car? What websites can be used to buy used scooters OR cars?

6. Public transportation, are there frequent bus routes and what app or bus map is used?

7. Party, how do people party in penghu? Like houseparties? KTV? Boat parties?

8. Kids, what are some kid friendly activities or community events? Is there a FB forum for that stuff?

9. General advice for surviving in Penghu, anything I should know? Tips for finding cool people n cool places, things to do, etc…

Thanks in advance!!!

Asking about western hangouts in Penghu is like asking if there are Chinese restaurants in some rural town in Texas or something. They might have it, and it probably is run by a Mexican and tastes nothing like Chinese food.

Penghu is probably the better of the outlying islands as in it probably has more things. But don’t expect much…

There’s a reason why conscripts hate being sent there.

1 Like

I doubt they all hate it. It’s not that remote compared to matsu islands or even Kinmen. I wouldnt mind doing a year there myself.

Can you get the Taipei Times on Penghu Island?

yes, if you have Internet connect: www.taipeitimes.com :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well 3.5 years and 2 kids later and we have made our Penghu dream a reality. I’ve been hired by the local government to teach at public schools throughout the island and we have found a nice western style condo with ocean views. Once everything opens up and level 3 stops, I would like to post about restaurants, bars, events, and scenic locations I encounter during our stay. Hopefully it will help anyone who wishes to visit or live in Penghu someday.

25 Likes

Awesome. Really great to hear about life there. Looking forward to hearing more.

2 Likes

The first thing i’ve noticed is the Penghu style dinner. Fish caught by her dad this morning with green beans plucked from a local garden + home grown carrots and potatoes, crab and clam we raked from the beach. Seems most families eat this way. Catch and grow your own food is healthy living!

11 Likes

12 Likes

I’m enjoying your posts Mr.Bee. Keep us updated on the Penghu life!

6 Likes

Me 2.

3 Likes

Any updates bruh?

3 Likes

Not really. Public school life is chill. Condo is a 4 min drive from work. Wife got a job with the Department of Marine Education. Our 4 year old enjoys his kindergarten and our 9 month old is doing well in daycare. We have horse riding classes on Wednesdays and explore the island and try different restaurants and playgrounds during the weekends. The island actually has a lot more to offer than I originally thought and we are quite happy here. All is well!

28 Likes