Ma Ying-jeou's legacy

As much as I hate an obvious traitor, he could be useful as a safety valve for CCP. As long as he is not allowed to sell the country (which he obviously wants to do). I believe time is on our side. We just need to survive until 2035 or so.

Interesting timing considering Tsai’s visit to the US.

Honecker visited West Germany in 87…what’s the big deal?

East Germany visit West Germany 1987 Anthem of DDR and BRD - YouTube

You’re unlikely to be involved in any outcomes, so it’s not a big deal to you.

2 Likes

I have large extended family networks there, so that is pretty shallow analysis.

Just as Ostpolitik was welcomed to relieve tensions (while still spending the Commies under the table), I just don’t see how this harms anything, other than raising the blood pressure of the reactionary DPP wing and their cheerleaders.

Welcome such photo opps but still stock up the Pershings (to use the 80s analogy)

Would you prefer progressive DPP and their cheerleaders?

Aren’t they mostly one and the same? :laughing:

Yes, I agree on that. Good point, sir.

1 Like

I am a huge cinema buff and see such DPP supporters as Sterling Hayden type of modern-day General Jack D Rippers—paranoid and reactionary to the core. And without some of Ripper’s innovation. :laughing: :laughing:

Back in the War Room, Dr. Strangelove recommends that the President gather several hundred thousand people to live in deep underground mines where the radiation will not penetrate. He suggests a 10:1 female-to-male ratio for a breeding program to repopulate the Earth once the radiation has subsided, a plan which gathers enthusiastic support from the all-male command staff.
Dr. Strangelove - Wikipedia

Check out the marketing graphic for this trip. :rofl:

Source: KMT Line account; reposted by Bloomberg columnist Tim Culpan here: https://twitter.com/tculpan/status/1637604152024125440

Guy

Yes worship ancestors lol

I will acknowledge it is consistent with the man’s approach.

Guy

“Former president Ma believes that young people on both sides of the strait understand each other,” said Hsiao Hsu-tsen, the executive director of the Ma Ying-jeou Foundation.

Yes, mutual understanding- Taiwanese young people understand that China wants to invade Taiwan and kill the inhabitants, and Chinese young people understand (and mostly agree with) that China wants to invade Taiwan and kill the inhabitants.

5 Likes

The phrase they use is ‘mo hei’, the DPP and media shouldn’t blacken his good intentions.
The KMT are weird. Maybe we should say whiten their intentions instead.

Yeah look how well Ostpolitik worked out for Germany with Russia :rofl:

I actually agree. The more dumb shit Ma pulls the more KMT loses votes, which is great.

Actually I hope he goes further to the point that CIA decides to engage.

Ma in China meets up with the Head of the PRC’s Taiwan Affairs Office. Does this unscheduled meeting—remember the earlier assurances of “no political dialogue”?—look relaxing or what?

Source: Ma Ying-jeou Foundation, accessed here: https://twitter.com/DemesDavid/status/1641414158536306689

Guy

2 Likes

Some savage commentary online about this unscheduled part of Ma’s trip:

he’s trying to compete with dead baboon [killed in Taoyuan in March 2023]. baboon still winning

I don’t know about the veracity of the first part of that statement, but the second part is apparently statistically correct.

Guy

2 Likes

Some wit here as our former president returns from his historic visit to the PRC and his meetings with CCP officials. :grin:

Source: https://twitter.com/TSPkoktse/status/1644219139421249537

Guy

4 Likes

long term he has sure played out bad in how he sold out Taiwan. rampant housing inflation, economic retardation via sticking to china, which is now obviously coming back to bite us and predictably being blamed on the follow up administration. hard sell on mr. ma, as he likes to be referred to officially :joy:

but Taiwan keeps ticking forward. amazing in ways, worrying in ways. god help us if we get another chinese politician as president next term!

3 Likes

Not to nitpick, but there wasnt a former, nor sitting, president of taiwan visiting China. The Former Mr. has returned from his visit to the enemy lol.