Man forcibly thrown off United Flight (with Video)

I think the video shows pretty clearly that that’s exactly what they are. But I probably wouldn’t want to disobey them…I like my teeth.

1 Like

See, it is exactly this kind of thinking that made this guy act uptight and really weird. Most people, when crew tell you to get off, they will comply, and they should. It is their company, and it is their plane, their property, not yours. Then when an officer comes up to you and reinforces what the staff tells you, most people will comply, and they should. This is how Americans are.

You may get outraged about the contract you made, the ticket you paid for and what that entails legally, but you need to talk to people, the management, but you don’t just sit there and squeal when police are dragging you off because you think you have rights. It’s that kind of thinking that makes this nonsense arise in the first place.

I never think when I pay for a ticket that I have a right to a certain plane. If there’s a hurricane, it may be a day later.

I may be waiting in line at a restaurant, and someone important comes in and the staff make way for him before you and everyone, you may fume or threaten to not go there again, but you don’t put yourself in a booth before because you think you have rights, or the police may interfere. You just think American police should be like Taiwanese police, who don’t do nothing.

These are snippets from an ABC News interview of Mr. Munoz:

At 0:40, in response to the interviewer’s question about the video, Mr. Munoz said the following:

Probably the word “shame” comes to mind. This can never, will never happen again on a United Airlines flight. That’s my premise, and that’s my promise.

At 0:55, the interviewer asks Mr. Munoz about future similar scenarios. Mr Munoz responds:

We’re not going to put a law enforcement official to take them off.

At 1:18, the interviewer asks Mr. Munoz whether he thinks Dr. Dao was at fault. Mr. Munoz responds:

No. He can’t be. He was a paying passenger sitting on our seat, in our . . . aircraft, and no one should be treated that way–period.

I got those snippets from the video linked below, which is a mixture of interview excerpts and other matter:

I can’t bring myself to say they’re thugs, but I hear ya.

Yes, thinking I have right is clearly the wrong way to think here. I didn’t know he was in North Korea

It’s not their company or property, it’s actually the shareholders. So if I owe a share of UA, can I not comply now? Or is it if I have more shares than the crew then I can sit in my payed for seat?

No, maybe some sheep. But I’m a US citizen and I disagree here.[quote=“jotham, post:143, topic:159388”]
You may get outraged about the contract you made, the ticket you paid for and what that entails legally, but you need to talk to people, the management,
[/quote]

Maybe the management should come talk to me about kicking me off my payed for seat? If he can explain it to me, and provide legal grounds then I will comply. [quote=“jotham, post:143, topic:159388”]
I never think when I pay for a ticket that I have a right to a certain plane. If there’s a hurricane, it may be a day later.
[/quote]

What a terrible analogy, i’m just going to leave it at that.[quote=“jotham, post:143, topic:159388”]
You just think American police should be like Taiwanese police, who don’t do nothing.
[/quote]

I think all police should use reasonable force, and treat civilians they are suppose to protect and serve with dignity and respect. I guess thats too much to ask for in whatever fucked up world you think we live in your mind.

1 Like

He is seen refusing a request to get off the plane. The airline should have handled this better. But I don’t agree with this at all. When officers are telling you to get off a plane that you don’t own, you get off.

https://youtu.be/H_x4QVZFmM0

We’ve all seen him refuse to get out… I don’t get why you are stuck on this.But no, you DO NOT HAVE TO DO EVERYTHING AN OFFICER ASK YOU TO DO. YOU HAVE RIGHTS.

1 Like

When you can’t get someone thats not a threat and non violent to do something and say “things will get bad for you” I’d say thats pretty thuggish, especially when things did get bad.

2 Likes

I hear ya. :slight_smile:

How many people out of 100 are going to disobey those officers, or even the crew? Not many, just a kook. Just like they wouldn’t go run back on the plane after being dragged off. It’s kookish behavior.

Oh no, you misunderstand! It’s because he wasn’t in North Korea that he had to obey. If it happened to Jotham in North Korea, he’d teach those Commie thugs a lesson! :smile:

2 Likes

Jotham does have a point: being confrontational when dealing with a police officer is usually a losing proposition. You have a good chance of ending up in jail…or the hospital or even worse. This seems like a pretty special situation though. There was a large captive audience witnessing and filming the whole interaction close up, so less chance for the police to end up using deadly force. We’ll probably never know if Dr. Dao’s reaction to the situation was calculated or not, but I think it’s pretty safe to say that he’s going to be pretty handsomely rewarded for taking a stand.

1 Like

Not many, not because they don’t want to or are not entitled to , but because the public genuinely is frightened of the police state that is now set up and don’t want to get their face bashed in by thugs with a badge and gun.

Compliance is fear based and that’s just how the government likes it

1 Like

Maybe if I was alone. But if i’m not and there are witnesses or recording. I’d stand my ground if I feel i’m in the right. I would only comply, based on fear of my life if say they pull a gun on me or something to that extreme.

We respect our men and women in badge. They represent order and uphold our values in a society that stresses rule of law. That is the first reason I would obey. The fear factor, that I may be arrested for not complying would be my second reason.

What does witnesses or recording have to do with it? This is the farthest thing from my mind. Witnesses and recordings would make me feel even more ashamed to behave like that, funny how you suggest it makes some people wanna misbehave more. Now, we’re beginning to understand what was going on in this guy’s mind in this case and why he decided to act out. Sounds like it is sinister, that he wanted to set everything up perfectly so he could get a settlement, with witnesses, cameras, jury, etc.

Obsession with rights isn’t the best way to go about solving problems in life. Everyone’s rights interferes with everyone else’s, people just need to learn how to talk to each other. I don’t understand this at all.

I guess you can speak for yourself

I don’t give anyone respect simply for having a badge and a uniform. A lot of thugs hide behind the badge too. They deserve respect and unquestionable obedience? Fear yes I can give you that , they can beat the crap out of you legally , give you a criminal record unjustly, and cause you thousands in defence costs

They are not there to uphold values, they have no duty towards citizens at all. They are there to protect the government order .

Many people don’t know but there have been many cases in the USA where a cop looks on while a person is assaulted and does nothing, gets sued, and the court makes it clear they are not here for your own or societies benefit at all.

You mean like how the police talked to that man

1 Like

he may have been squealing because two front teeth have been knocked out. it probably f*cking hurts

he is a 69 year old man, for f*cks sake

1 Like

YEs but he could have been killed if the rent-a-cops were armed with tasers.