Mecato Colombia in Maji Square - empanadas and arepas

I’ve seen this place mentioned in a few posts, but I want to draw a bit more attention to it: Mecato Colombia is one of the stalls in the Maji Square food court area, beside Yuanshan MRT station. I’ve recently had both their empanadas and arepas, and was quite impressed with both of them. I don’t believe I’ve had either dish before, so I have no idea how “authentic” they are, but I was happy, and the arepas were the only time in Taiwan I’ve ever felt “Oh, is this why people love good thick corn tortillas?!” The guy working there said they can’t buy the arepa flour (?) here and have to grind the corn themselves.

They’ve got other things on the menu, like fish and drinks, but I’ve only tried the snack foods. And of course, these aren’t exactly light healthy snacks.

I’m a little confused about whether or not they also have a restaurant. This Facebook page suggests yes, but if I simply Google it, I’m informed that it’s closed.

Hungry Girl Taipei talked about them here (I liked but didn’t love Quantum Tacos; of the two, I definitely prefer Mecato):

1 Like