mooncakes is back in Taiwan and has questions - let's start with dry cleaners

Hello everyone! I was here (on the forum and in Taiwan) in October on a house hunting trip, and now we are back in Taipei to start our expat assignment for the next 3 years.

We just moved in, and I am having a hard time finding a dry cleaner in the Nangang area (either Nangang Station or Software Park). Can anyone help me out - what is the Chinese character for this or how do they call it?

Are there dry cleaner shops in malls (i.e. City Link / CTBC Financial Park) or do I need to go hunting in the side streets and alleys?

Thanks!

乾洗南港 copy and put this in Google map search.
洗衣南港店, this one means the same but is more specific laundry, they do dry cleaning too mostly.

This is Lee’s dry cleaner, it’s a chain. 隴西洗衣南港店

Yes, they are usually on side streets or alleys. You’ll frequently see one when there is nothing else around but apartment buildings.

If you seen an Orange Mart around, I’d give them a try. The branch I use (not in Nangang) has been exceptionally careful, and there are no brutal chemical smells when I get my cleaned goods back.

Their basic washing detergent (available at supermarkets like Px Mart), Cosmed, Watson’s, etc, is also excellent. Highly recommended!

Guy

EDIT: The shop/detergent I like is in fact Orange House, not Orange Mart. Chinese name: 橘子工坊. Hope this helps!

Eh any Family Mart has a dry cleaning and any kind of wash service. I think 711 does too but for sure Family Mart. Just hand it to them in the corresponding bag and pick up when done.

Family Mart ruined two shirts on two separate occasions (one they didn’t even return to me it was so bad). Getting anything done about it was a nightmare because of course the workers there can’t do anything about it. YMMV but I would go to a dedicated place that you can at least talk to someone should there be a problem.

Off topic but I guess the questions been answered.
I had a dry cleaner in Kaohsiung ruin my shirt once, he handed it back with the colours all running, I was like what the heck? He said I gave it to him like that. Didn’t take responsibility one bit

First and last time I went there. I’m glad it was only a shirt he ruined and not my suit

Also had a Taiwan star location once cut a sim card and jam it in my new phone breaking it inside, then denied he did it and refused the repair fee. Their corporate office ended up refunding me.

Moral of the story is you better hope they know what they are doing because if clothes get ruined , they will blame you. Really pissed me off.

Op when you find the dry cleaner give them a few samples first to endure they come back ok.

Yeah there’s no doubt there are some bad businesses and some indifferent service at certain places in Taiwan.

That’s why when I find ones that are good–with genuinely good service, and a long-term view of customer relations–I greatly enjoy supporting them. These guys are out there. The key is to find them!

Guy

Thanks, I will look into the Family Mart option. When I was here in October I tried the 7-11, but the 2 locations I went to (behind the Sheraton in the Main Station area) did not take dry cleaning. They pointed me to a small shop though in that area.

Thanks, Wafflestop, the Chinese helps. I found a Lee’s near here. Will give them a try next week.

Not the worst idea.

Little tip: all government offices have their own dry cleaning, usually way cheaper than those outside.

And a bank. And restaurant. Yes, usually open to the public, unless there is a lockdown.

1 Like

Good tip, indeed. Will check them out.