Moving to Taiwan with my 5 and 8 year old

Here, I hope, are Icon’s lis on Google Maps:

台北市大安區福住里 Táiběi Shì Dà’Ān Qū Fúzhù Lǐ: goo.gl/maps/iA6jUTG4Etv
台北市大安區錦安里 Táiběi Shì Dà’Ān Qū Jǐnān Lǐ: goo.gl/maps/vZhqFvv5Ztv
台北市大安區龍安里 Táiběi Shì Dà’Ān Qū Lóngān Lǐ: goo.gl/maps/kWwGc9Z8SRJ2

There’s something that appears to be a list of Daan District’s lin leaders and their addresses and phone numbers (whether business or residence, I don’t know), for all the lis of Daan District. Two links to the list are here:

dado.gov.taipei/ct.asp?xItem=119 … &mp=124021

The list is available in PDF or XLS form. Here’s the PDF of that list:

dado.gov.taipei/public/Attachmen … 820248.pdf

The lins are numbered rather than named. I’m guessing that’s the custom.

Just a note:

I haven’t been able to find maps of Daan District’s lis that contain lin boundaries. Apparently those kinds of maps used to be available online, or at least some of them were. I say this because a Prof. Read of the Politics Department of UC Santa Cruz includes a map of a li in Wanhua District in a scholarly article he wrote, and the map includes lin boundaries. He links to a Taipei Government online source for the map. Unfortunately, though, that Taipei Government webpage seems to have gone, along with the site, where the woodbine twineth. I got redirected to a new site, but I haven’t been able find those kinds of maps on the new site, which is here:

czone2.civil.taipei/tp103-1/

Prof. Read’s article is available online, but Prof. Read asks that it not be cited or quoted.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]

Not only live there, but have a hukou there, or at least the kids have the hukou there.[/quote]

Yes- understood. That’s why I need to understand the Li/ Lin that the school gave me.

[quote=“Icon”]

As per the school website, these are the areas/neighborhoods included:

[quote]單一學區:

(1)福住里(1.2.5.6.9.10.11.17鄰)   [strike]Fuyu[/strike] Fuzhu neighborhood

(2)錦安里(11.12.15.16鄰)        [strike]Yingan[/strike] Jinan

2.新生、金華共同學區 Two schools districts available

(1)福住里(3.4.7.8.12.13.14.15.16鄰)  [strike]Fuyu[/strike]  Fuzhu

(2)錦安里(3.4.7.9.10.13.14.17鄰)    [strike]Yingan[/strike]  Jinan

(3)龍安里(11-17鄰)    Longan

3.新生、龍安共同學區:龍安里(1-10鄰) Longan
[/quote][/quote]

You are awesome! However, this is the list the school gave me. I am not sure why the list they gave me is not in all that you mentioned in your post.
福住里(1.2.5.6.9.10.11.17鄰)
(3,4,7,8,12,13,14,15,16)

錦安里(3.4.7.9.10.13.14.17鄰)
(11,12,15,16)

龍安里(11-17鄰)
(1-10)

So that being said, I don’t know how to understand what part of Taiwan is qualified. I will look at the links you sent and see if I can understand. Thank you very much!

This page has the name, address, e-mail address, telephone number, and fax number of the Longan Li (neighborhood) leader:
li.taipei/da_longan/36166_01

This page has the name, address, e-mail address, telephone number, and fax number of the Fuzhu Li leader:
li.taipei/da_fuzhu/36166_01

This page has the name, address, telephone number, and fax number of the Jinan Li leader:
li.taipei/da_jinan/36166_01

A Chrome browser should be able give some kind of translation of the three pages linked above, but not a perfect one. There may be other browsers that can do that, too; I just know Chrome can provide some sort of translation, if one is lucky.

I don’t know if the above information will help, but I’m posting it just in case it might.

About telephone calls: You probably already know this, but I think an overseas call from the States to Taiwan could be very expensive, depending of course on how long the call lasted. My brother has some kind of special deal for that sort of thing for calling me, but at those times when he didn’t have that deal, he was not at all pleased with his phone bill.

I think I just noticed something, but I’m not sure about it, so I hope some knowledgeable person can help by answering these questions, or by correcting my assumptions, or by adding more information, or in some other way.

From looking at page 6 of this PDF document, it appears that Longan Li (龍安里) has 17 lins (鄰):

From looking at this Xinsheng webpage, which seems to have data similar to Icon’s and ariel7120’s, lins 1 through 10 and 11 through 17 of Longan Li are mentioned:

snes.tp.edu.tw/index.php?op= … ost_id=139

For purposes of this discussion, does this mean that it is permissible to live in any lin in Longan Li?

From looking at page 7 of the PDF document referenced above, it appears that Fuzhu Li (福住里) has 17 lins (鄰).

From looking at the Xinsheng webpage referenced above and at Icon’s and ariel7120’s information, lins 1, 2, 5, 6, 9, 10, 11, and 17 and lins 3, 4, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 15, and 16 are mentioned.

For purposes of this discussion, does this mean that it is permissible to live in any lin in Fuzhu Li?

From looking at the very last entry of page 6 of the PDF document referenced above, and going on to page 7, it appears that Jinan Li (錦安里) has 18 lins (鄰).

From looking at the Xinsheng webpage referenced above and at Icon’s and ariel7120’s information, lins 11, 12, 15, and 16 and lins 3, 4, 7, 9, 10, 13, 14, and 17 are mentioned.

For purposes of this discussion, does this mean that it is permissible to live in any lin in Jinan Li except for lins 1, 2, 5, 6, 8, and 18?

I’m not at all sure about this, so I would appreciate any feedback.

Charlie

[quote=“ariel7120”][quote=“Icon”]

As per the school website, these are the areas/neighborhoods included:

[quote]單一學區:

(1)福住里(1.2.5.6.9.10.11.17鄰)   [strike]Fuyu[/strike] Fuzhu neighborhood

(2)錦安里(11.12.15.16鄰)        [strike]Yingan[/strike] Jinan

2.新生、金華共同學區 Two schools districts available

(1)福住里(3.4.7.8.12.13.14.15.16鄰)  [strike]Fuyu[/strike]  Fuzhu

(2)錦安里(3.4.7.9.10.13.14.17鄰)    [strike]Yingan[/strike]  Jinan

(3)龍安里(11-17鄰)    Longan

3.新生、龍安共同學區:龍安里(1-10鄰) Longan
[/quote][/quote]

You are awesome! However, this is the list the school gave me. I am not sure why the list they gave me is not in all that you mentioned in your post.
福住里(1.2.5.6.9.10.11.17鄰)
(3,4,7,8,12,13,14,15,16)

錦安里(3.4.7.9.10.13.14.17鄰)
(11,12,15,16)

龍安里(11-17鄰)
(1-10)

So that being said, I don’t know how to understand what part of Taiwan is qualified. I will look at the links you sent and see if I can understand. Thank you very much![/quote]

It is not even what part of Taiwan, dear. You are limited to a radius of barely more or less 20 blocks. For instance, I used to live across on Xinsheng/Hoping intersection, but across the street. That is another li, so if you lived there, the kids cannot attend the school.

The link I put up I found in Xinsheng school`s website. See, depending on which li you live in, then your kids can attend both Xinsheng and Longan shools, or only Xinsheng, or only Longan. So choosing a place to live has to be very precise.

You cannot just search for the li, as many li around Taiwan have the same name. It has to be, as Charlie especified, the li within Daan sector in Taipei. Very limited.

One important thing: the lizhang or borough chief as it is usually translated, is in charge of the wellbeing and order within his jurisdiction. Do not hesitate to contact him or her, it is his/her duty to help.

Oh, and Skype is your friend.

[quote=“ariel7120”]How do I know what school is zoned to the apartment address I choose? Xinsheng gave me a list of what “ling?” I have to live in. . . . I doubt the landlords would know when renting from them if they do not have school aged children. [/quote] Moving to Taiwan with my 5 and 8 year old

[quote=“ariel7120”]Yes you can live anywhere, however the program is only for grades 1-6. My son will be attending Kindergarten in September and if I want him to attend the same school as his sister who is in the program, I need to live in the district.[/quote] Moving to Taiwan with my 5 and 8 year old

The big neighborhoods in Xinsheng Elementary School’s school district are called lis, and their names are Longan Li, Fuzhu Li, and Jinan Li. The little neighborhoods are called lins, and they have numbers rather than names. Longan Li and Fuzhu Li have 17 little neighborhoods each. Jinan Li has 18 little neighborhoods. (I’m not being patronizing by saying “big neighborhoods” and “little neighborhoods,” or by repeating things. I have a problem keeping all this stuff straight.)

Here’s the list you posted (I’ve added a little bit to it in brackets):

[quote] 福住里 [Fuzhu Li (big neighborhood)](1.2.5.6.9.10.11.17鄰 [lin (little neighborhood)])
(3,4,7,8,12,13,14,15,16 [lin (little neighborhood)])

錦安里 [Jinan Li (big neighborhood)] (3.4.7.9.10.13.14.17鄰 [lin (little neighborhood)])
(11,12,15,16 [lin (little neighborhood)])

龍安里 [Longan Li (big neighborhood)] (11-17鄰 [lin (little neighborhood)])
(1-10 [lin (little neighborhood)])[/quote]

As far as I can tell, your list contains the same information as Icon’s list, which was taken from Xinsheng’s website. The two lists just look a little different.

This is how it stands, as far as I can tell:

Let’s look at the top big neighborhood on your list, Fuzhu Li (Fuzhu big neighborhood). The list you showed us (and the list that Icon showed us, which is the list on Xinsheng Elementary School’s website) says you can live in any of the 17 little neighborhoods of Fuzhu big neighborhood.

Now let’s skip Jinan Li for now (the middle big neighborhood on your list) and go to the bottom big neighborhood on your list, Longan Li. Longan big neighborhood is where Xinsheng Elementary School is located. Your list and Icon’s list (Xinsheng’s website’s list) both say that you can live in any of the 17 little neighborhoods of Longan big neighborhood.

Now let’s go the the middle big neighborhood on your list, Jinan Li (big neighborhood). Jinan big neighborhood has 18 little neighborhoods. Your list and Xinsheng’s/Icon’s list both say that you can live in any little neighborhood in Jinan big neighorhood except for the little neighborhoods numbered 1, 2, 5, 6, 8, and 18, because those lins (little neighborhoods) are not included in Xinsheng’s list.

So it looks like the only big neighborhood where you might have a school-district problem is Jinan big neighborhood, and that problem would only involve six little neighborhoods. The other two big neighborhoods (Fuzhu and Longan) don’t look like they will present any school-district-type problems.

This PDF page is where I found out how many little neighborhoods are in these three big neighborhoods:

This webpage, provided by Icon, contains Xinsheng Elementary School’s website’s list of acceptable big and little neighborhoods; it says the same thing Icon said (and the same thing you said–your list just looks a little different from the website one):

snes.tp.edu.tw/index.php?op= … ost_id=139

This is Longan Li (big neighborhood) on Google Maps: goo.gl/maps/kWwGc9Z8SRJ2

As you can see, Xinsheng Elementary School is located inside Longan Li. As far as I can tell, and as far as the school district goes, you can live in any little neighborhood (lin) in Longan Li.

This is Fuzhu Li (big neighborhood) on Google Maps: goo.gl/maps/iA6jUTG4Etv

As you can see, Fuzhu Li is just above Longan Li and just above Xinsheng Elementary School. As far as I can tell, and as far as the school district goes, you can live in any little neighborhood (lin) in Fuzhu Li.

This is Jinan Li (big neighborhood) on Google Maps: goo.gl/maps/vZhqFvv5Ztv

Jinan Li is just to the west (left) of Longan Li. The two are right next to each other. As far as I can tell, and as far as the school district is concerned, you cannot live in any of the six little neighborhoods numbered 1, 2, 5, 6, 8, and 18 in Jinan Li, but you can live in any of the twelve other little neighborhoods in Jinan Li.

So as far as I can tell, your only potential problem involving the three acceptable lis (big neighborhoods), as far as the school district is concerned, is in Jinan Li, and that problem only involves six lins (little neighborhoods). You can live anywhere else in Jinan Li, and you can live anywhere in Longan Li and anywhere in Fuzhu Li (as far as the school district is concerned).

If you should find a suitable place that happens to be in Jinan Li, I imagine someone will be able to help you find out whether it’s in the school district.

Hope this helps.

Charlie

Thank you everyone for all the detail description of where to live. I have a better understanding now. I have another question. How likely is it that the landlord would put you on their Hukou? My uncle found a decent place in those neighborhoods and we are not sure if the landlord would register me on their hukou. Is the hukou a “personal” thing… meaning how does it affect the owner? Would he be liable on my behalf? If that is the case, I can’t see how any landlords would want to do this for their tenant.

Again to “refresh” why I need a hukou near Xinsheng is because my daughter will be part of their program for foreign students (grades 1-6) however my son will be starting kindergarten without the program. So in order for him to attend the same school, we will need to have a hukou there.

Curious- do all public schools start the same time? If it turns out my kids need to attend different schools, I will need to start planning the logistics of getting them around.

[quote=“ariel7120”]How likely is it that the landlord would put you on their Hukou? My uncle found a decent place in those neighborhoods and we are not sure if the landlord would register me on their hukou.

. . .

. . . I need a hukou near Xinsheng . . . because . . . my son will be starting kindergarten without the program [for foreign students].[/quote]

I’ve never had a hukou, so I don’t have any firsthand experience with this subject. I hope someone will come along and post additional information or advice.

Among the long-term residents who have posted here on the subject of changing a hukou for a rented place, there seems to be a difference of opinions about how easy or difficult the process is. Below, I’ll give you a few quotes and excerpts of quotes from long-term residents.

The excerpt immediately below and the full quote below it are from a 2012 thread:

The quotes and excerpts of quotes immediately below are from a 2015 thread:

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 6#p1674736

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 9#p1674749

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 4#p1674804

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 1#p1674811

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 4#p1674814

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 5#p1674815

[quote=“cfimages”]Even taking herself off her family’s one and onto our own was a simple procedure.

I wonder how many just don’t bother trying because they think it’ll be too hard. When we asked landlords about it, there was never any hesitation giving the required documents. In the 6 or so years we’ve been married, the hukou has been changed 4-5 times. [/quote]
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 6#p1674816

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 7#p1674817

[quote=“Dog’s_Breakfast”]We’ve changed our hukous a few times too. It’s always been dead easy. Waiting time at the household registration office: about 10 minutes. No cost other than getting a new photo for your ID card. And yes, husband and wife can register their hukous at different addresses.

Maybe the hukou system has a few flaws, but it’s no “bureaucratic nightmare.” . . . [/quote]
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 9#p1674969

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 0#p1675010

[quote=“Mr He”]Our landlord declares his income on the one I am living in, we even had to go to the notary to get the rental agreement sorted.

He had no issue with or interest when it came to me telling the Immigration Bureau people that I moved in here, aftr all, everything is above the table.

I would think more expensive properties are like tht, who knows?[/quote]
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 8#p1675048

I hope this helps, but again, I also hope that someone comes along and gives additional advice or information (but that is not meant to belittle in any way the dialogue between long-term residents that has taken place on this issue).

Hello

Just wanted to say that I finally made it with everyone’s advice and comments. I’ve been in Taipei for 11 days and finally beginning to settle in although I am still currently in a hotel until this weekend. My daughter was able to get into Xinsheng without any hiccups and my apartment hunt went well. It took about a week to get everything done. I have to give you guys credit for all the advice and feedback which made my preparation and transition smoother. So THANK YOU everyone!

Just a few minor questions for what to do around here. I’ve been exploring the city everyday going to different parts of Taipei. So far, just to the very touristy places.

1. Can anyone let me know if there is like a Sports Complex or YMCA around here where my kids and I can go join classes, learn swimming or exercise programs?
  2. Also, Does anyone know of a place to learn piano in the Daan district?
  3. I’ve been trying to find a half day daycare in Daan for my 4 year old son in a school that speaks Mandarin but all of the one’s I’ve visited mostly focuses on English and the classes are all spoken in English. No luck on finding one that focuses on Mandarin huh?
  4. Any sport groups/ teams I can join for fun? Nothing competitive.
  5. Lastly, any non touristy place I can visit or hang out that you can suggest?

My biggest problem right now is that I cannot read Chinese and have a hard time finding food. I have to either order by knowing they have want I want or finding a place with pictures and point. If that is my biggest problem so far, then I think I am doing just fine. Thanks for your help everyone.

Appreciate it!

Some restaurants do have an English menu if you ask for it. Not all, but some do.

There are many sports complexes in Taipei. Usually every district has at least one. YMCA does exist in Taipei.
ymca-taipei.org.tw/

[quote=“ariel7120”]Hello

Just wanted to say that I finally made it with everyone’s advice and comments. I’ve been in Taipei for 11 days and finally beginning to settle in although I am still currently in a hotel until this weekend. My daughter was able to get into Xinsheng without any hiccups and my apartment hunt went well. It took about a week to get everything done. I have to give you guys credit for all the advice and feedback which made my preparation and transition smoother. So THANK YOU everyone!

Just a few minor questions for what to do around here. I’ve been exploring the city everyday going to different parts of Taipei. So far, just to the very touristy places.

1. Can anyone let me know if there is like a Sports Complex or YMCA around here where my kids and I can go join classes, learn swimming or exercise programs?

[color=#0040FF]Every district in Taipei city has a sports center. They have special classes for kids. Lemme look for the linkie to the closest in Daan…[/color]

[color=#0040FF]I would especially recommend taking ice skating lessons at the Taipei Arena. Lots of fun![/color]

1. Also, Does anyone know of a place to learn piano in the Da’an district?

[color=#0040FF]Every block has a teacher. I am not kidding. There should be several Yamaha programs nearby. If I am not mistaken there is a famous one on the Xinsheng side of Daan park, close to the Mosque. Follow the music.[/color]

1. I’ve been trying to find a half day daycare in Da’an for my 4 year old son in a school that speaks Mandarin but all of the one’s I’ve visited mostly focuses on English and the classes are all spoken in English. No luck on finding one that focuses on Mandarin huh?

:roflmao: [color=#0040FF]Can’t help you there. Maybe the ones in the Longmen school?[/color]

1. Any sport groups/ teams I can join for fun? Nothing competitive.

[color=#0040FF]They have classes on weekends at the Daan park. Skating, playing ball, etc. Unfortunately, the weather is not helping…[/color]

1. Lastly, any non touristy place I can visit or hang out that you can suggest?

[color=#0040FF]Get right now to the Lantern Festival, either the one in Taipei or in Taoyuan -just a short bus ride away. The one in Taipei is next to teh Children’s Amusement park, two for one!

Definetively go to Pingxi, hopefully with a family member with a car, so you an stay until te evening, when the sky lanterns look their best.[/color]

My biggest problem right now is that I cannot read Chinese and have a hard time finding food. I have to either order by knowing they have want I want or finding a place with pictures and point. If that is my biggest problem so far, then I think I am doing just fine. Thanks for your help everyone.

[color=#0040FF]We have all been there. You order what you want and eat what you get. We start from expat oriented places -go to Shida area or Gongguan NTU whereabouts for that, a short walk away- and work our way up.[/color]

[color=#0040FF]I could eat Ding Tai Fung every day. It is not that expensive, if too many people, order to go. English, Japanese, even Spanish spoken.[/color]

Appreciate it![/quote]

[color=#0000FF]No hay por donde. PM if you need more info. [/color]

1 Like

Great that you’ve made it across and are dealing with everything here. Getting here was probably the hardest part.
Can’t help much with your questions, although you could hire a ‘food’ tutor for an hour or so each week, learn some menus, common dishes, etc.

[quote=“ariel7120”] any non touristy place I can visit or hang out that you can suggest?
[/quote]
Most of Taipei’s museums (other than the National Palace Museum) are not touristy and good places to take your kids. I recommend the Evergreen Maritime Museum and the Miniatures Museum (teams on the Amazing Race went there to solve a challenge when they came through Taipei a few years ago). The Taipei Fine Arts Museum near Yuanshan is also surprisingly sparse on most days. The Museum of Contemporary Art at Zhongshan MRT is on the small side, but it’s housed in a nice historic building from the Japanese colonial era. The National Taiwan Museum in 228 Park and the Land Bank Exhibition Hall across the street with the dinosaur skeleton displays (NTU Hospital MRT) are also worth taking your kids to. Keep in mind most museums are closed on Monday.

1 Like

I know of a pretty good teacher that’s located near ZhongShan MRT, not too too far from Da’an. If you want something closer to home, I can get you in contact with her and she can get you talking to the right people. FYI She speaks both English and Mandarin, so you won’t have any communication problems.

What’s your sport of choice? Your best bet is to Facebook search. Use keywords. If you are unable to type Chinese, Google translate your sport, add “台北” (Taipei) “社團” (association) “社會” (community) “群組” (group).

When in doubt, head over to any of the parks early in the morning (or the sports centers) and you’re bound to find a group of people getting ready for their workout or sport. If you’re interested in cycling, I know a local cycling group that’s all fun and games, not much competition amongst the group members.

Any coffee shop really. Taipei is very well known for its small coffee shops (not everyone agrees that the coffee is great, but you won’t find as many coffee shops in such a small area in many places around the world) Skip the chain stores like Starbucks, Cama, 85C, Ikari Coffee. Walk around the noisy areas and you’re bound to find a cozy little coffee shop that has free wifi and all you gotta do is purchase one drink! There’s also the themed coffee shops, but those are a little more touristy.

[quote=“ariel7120”]My biggest problem right now is that I cannot read Chinese and have a hard time finding food. I have to either order by knowing they have want I want or finding a place with pictures and point. If that is my biggest problem so far, then I think I am doing just fine. Thanks for your help everyone.

Appreciate it![/quote]

I’m not sure if you’re used to using Yelp back in the states, but Yelp is also present in Taipei! Easy to search and reviews are in both English and Chinese and if the restaurant doesn’t have a picture menu, you can always rely on user’s pictures and captions to help with making an order.

Check your PM, I’ll send you the piano teacher info as well as some restaurant info via Yelp.

Good luck!

1 Like

Hi ariel
Glad you made it here and things are going okay so far. I’ve been neglecting my blog lately, but there’s a list of activities here with information on how to get there etc.

1 Like

Hi @ariel7120, it’s been a while since your last post. I’ve found your posts (and this entire thread) to be incredibly helpful as we go through a similar process of planning for a year in Taipei with our 7 and 9 year old. We are very interested in Xinsheng for the 2017-2018 school year, and I’m wondering if you wouldn’t mind sharing an update of how the last year has been for your kids, especially your older child? Feel free to PM me if easier. I’m new to the forum and haven’t figured out that function yet.

Many thanks in advance!

1 Like

Hello AmoyMama,

I was wondering how much is the school fee for elementary 1 in Longan Elementary School? I tried searching on the web but couldnt found their website.

Also, if you have any information about the school fee for Guting Elementary and Xinsheng Elementary would be greatly appreciated.

Kay

Those 3 schools are public schools, so the fee is ~10000NTD per year, including lunch.

If you need after school care at school, ~3000NTD per month.

They also have after school activity programs with additional fees.

Thank you! Are those school hard to get in? I mean those public school? If we are a foreigners?