Navy accidentally fires missiles towards China!

Had this happened under President Ma, you can be sure he would have been blamed by quite a few people on Forumosa.[/quote]

I agree. On this score, Ma has an umblemished record - he was in power for 8 years and never fired a shot.[/quote]

Had this happened under President Chen, you would blame him too.[/quote]

Let’s blame him anyway…isn’t he out on bail ? :smiley:
On a serious note, they have to redo how these missiles get fired (duh!)

Had this happened under President Ma, you can be sure he would have been blamed by quite a few people on Forumosa.
After all, people here blame President Ma for Typhoon Morakot and selling out Taiwan (whereas Taiwanese buying cheap Made in China products and flying Mainland Chinese airlines do not get blamed … ).[/quote]

Some DPP legislators are blaming Ma as he supposedly neglected the military since no need for military when giving Taiwan back to China. Whatever. I just hope DPP will do more than just complain each time there is a problem. Even if the entire military is a KMT stronghold do not just use that as an excuse to not try to make improvements.

Absolutely! Now is the perfect time to conduct a thorough investigation of all these institutions. It’s obviously needed, the public support is there, and it’s a gilt-edged opportunity to make lasting change for the better in Taiwan. I will be very disillusioned if they don’t.

There have been 9 crashes involving Taiwan airforce over the last 5 years. I’m not sure if that’s a lot, or not.

Had this happened under President Ma, you can be sure he would have been blamed by quite a few people on Forumosa.
After all, people here blame President Ma for Typhoon Morakot and selling out Taiwan (whereas Taiwanese buying cheap Made in China products and flying Mainland Chinese airlines do not get blamed … ).[/quote]

Some DPP legislators are blaming Ma as he supposedly neglected the military since no need for military when giving Taiwan back to China. Whatever. I just hope DPP will do more than just complain each time there is a problem. Even if the entire military is a KMT stronghold do not just use that as an excuse to not try to make improvements.[/quote]

There’s a topic on this forum about hoping Tsai will bolster defence. It’s been a couple of years since that thread started and I’ve posted a lot of comments. We’re now at 2016 and you can challenge me on the predictions I made.

[quote=“sofun”]There’s a topic on this forum about hoping Tsai will bolster defence. It’s been a couple of years since that thread started and I’ve posted a lot of comments. We’re now at 2016 and you can challenge me on the predictions I made.

http://tw.forumosa.com/t/i-hope-a-tsai-presidency-would-bolster-national-defense/87121/1[/quote]

There’s a lot more involved than just spending more money and bolstering fire-power. The first thing that needs to be straightened out is the structure of the military itself.
Is there corruption in the military?
Is the purchasing process transparent?
Is it a KMT, old-boy network? (I don’t know for a fact, but i would like to)
Are people being promoted according to merit?
Are the soldiers being trained efficiently?
Is the chain-of-command functioning efficiently?

When these basics are investigated, and, where necessary, reformed, then we can address the question of whether they are adequately armed. But if the military is being run incompetently (again, i don’t know if is or isn’t), then it doesn’t matter whether they’ve got the latest and greatest weapons or not.

Tsai Ing-Wen has only been in power five minutes, so i am prepared to cut her some slack. You can’t reform decades of decay in a couple of months. However, the time has arrived for her to start the journey. It won’t be easy going and there will be powerful people throwing up roadblocks every inch of the way - but ultimately she will be judged on whether she is up for that fight or not.

To be honest, i don’t really care too much about cross-strait relationships. The status quo is fine by me for the time being. There are far more serious internal problems that need attention in Taiwan and the key to tackling them is a root-and-branch investigation into institutionalized corruption.

Or how about this: stop forcing young Taiwanese men who are not motivated into a military apparatus. All while we have a female president and a quota for women in the legislative yuan. No wonder mistakes happen when the people on the ground are slave labour.

Turns out the missile actually had a live warhead, not a dummy. It only didn’t explode because the fishing boat was too thin and didn’t offer enough resistance, so the missile went right through it. If it had hit a bigger ship or land, this would have been a huge disaster. Utterly mind blowing!

focustaiwan.tw/news/aipl/201607030004.aspx?

[quote=“schwarzwald”]Turns out the missile actually had a live warhead, not a dummy. It only didn’t explode because the fishing boat was too thin and didn’t offer enough resistance, so the missile went right through it. If it had hit a bigger ship or land, this would have been a huge disaster. Utterly mind blowing!

focustaiwan.tw/news/aipl/201607030004.aspx?[/quote]

yes that’s the horror of the story. If the truth is what they claim - an innocent accident - then they are essentially saying that it might as well happen that one sleepy seaman by himself fires an anti-air missile and hits a commercial airliner.

Where is the evidence to prove that this is completely innocent and no foul play?

This all happened because of Brexit. And racism.

And…nobody pointed out that this “carrier killer” missile actually can’t sink a mere fishing boat??

Chinese made parts?? :slight_smile:

There was already a question from within the KMT when Hung was candidate as to whether the military would obey and respect to a woman. Now they have to listen to a woman from the political opposition and not even “one of their own”.

[quote=“tommy525”]And…nobody pointed out that this “carrier killer” missile actually can’t sink a mere fishing boat??

Chinese made parts?? :slight_smile:[/quote]
Actually you don’t want it to explode upon hitting a fishing boat. You want to set the threshold of impact higher so that a shipping boat getting in the way wouldn’t stop the missile from penetrating it completely and continuing to fly until it hits the warship. That’s when you you want the warhead to explode.

You also don’t want it to explode upon hitting a seagull. You get the idea.

Update:

The compensation was paid at the request of the Huang family and likely does not directly cover the foreign crew members injured in the incident. It is not known how much, if any, the two crew members received in damages.

Two missile mishaps in as many days. Scary stuff.