Nazi paraphernalia on sale at Banqiao station?

I doubt it.
It’s illegal to sell, display, or own any openly Nazi paraphernalia in Germany, right?

You can see their gift shop at left.

I dunno, I doubt they have motorcycle helmets that say “SS ROAD WARRIER” or anything like that.

I’d draw a distinction between historical memorabilia and kitsch.

The place upstairs in the Wannian dept. store is worth mentioning here. If I’m remembering right, they have a lot of military uniforms and other military items on display. Some of them are Nazi-era. I’ve come across such items in the States as well. The mentality of the people involved in this trade might be questionable, but history is history.

Might the Eagle’s Nest have some books or pictures for sale with swastikas on display? Possible, but it’s a historical attraction.

What I find offensive is the use of such symbols for commercial reasons. I don’t buy the ignorance angle personally.

Sorry, it’s expressly illegal to put a swastika, or the lightning-bolt SS insignia (the one guys from KISS hijacked) on anything in Germany. Anything.

http://www.wisegeek.com/is-it-really-illegal-to-display-the-swastika-symbol-in-germany.htm

And Nazi memorabilia is illegal.

No need to apologize. The law linked doesn’t necessarily seem to cover what I mentioned however. In particular it states:

This seems to leave space for historical books or pictures. The wiki article shows a picture of a historical fighter plane in a museum with a swastika shown. Perhaps they wouldn’t sell such items there–they seem to take some precautions about neo-Nazi activities there from what I just read (tour groups aren’t allowed to use their own tour guides.)

Yeah, I get your point.
I think I may have read about some filmmakers having to digitize symbols out in their stuff, but they surely can’t just disappear everything, Stalin-style, from the permanent visual record, can they?

Mostly I’d gotten the impression that a lot of their intent was to curtail the iconography supporting neo-Nazi efforts.
Like eBay Chermany will delete any items bearing the symbols, and I’ve seen replica maker dudes, like the ones who supply re-enactors, say on their sites that some items can’t ship to Germany, or that if it is to be sent to Germany, that the symbols will be removed before shipping.

Like this (super cool) exact Kriegsmarine U Boat captain’s replica cap:

If they ship it to Chermany, they’ll take the top eagle part of the insignia off first.

so depressing

what in the actual F***

What???

Seriously, what’s that?

A festive addition to a Xinzhu senior high school annual celebration.

I remember the wander-lust I felt coming to this ‘different’ country many years ago, but now I feel more embarrassed than anything.

Is there any hope?

Hopefully it will draw enough publicity to the issue to invoke some more understanding of the history behind why this was severely inappropriate. Surely they had no inkling that the regime committed such horrific atrocities - they wouldn’t want to be associated with that, or would they?

Sometimes I feel like if Taiwanese had received so many smacks on their heads… or perhaps not enough.

I’m pretty sure if I could sit down and talk to these kids’ ignorant teacher for five minutes about some of the history they wouldn’t be wearing that shit for long.

“But in Taiwan… you don’t understand… in Taiwan…”

I speak Chinese too good for that :slight_smile: I might be wrong, but I’ll make the bet :slight_smile:

Send them a letter, please. Or go and talk to them. Or send a letter to some media pointing out how this is shameful and awkward.

I think they’re getting the message now.

Teacher fail.

The German and Israeli representative offices have already protested.

Not enough.