not so technologically advanced..

Paying electronically is easy and common in Taiwan. Scanning yer own groceries is a pain.

The credit card tap to pay function in Canada is so easy. No one carries cash, it’s ridiculous there going for a coffee with bunch of people and everyone takes out their credit card to pay for a cup of coffee.

1 Like

Wrong! :grandpa:

My friend at a federal department up north says they have floppy disks lying around and don’t know if they can get rid of them or not because they don’t know what’s on them. :no_mouth:

I read somewhere this is actually a big issue. I believe there are companies contracted to scrub everything. Some even bid to resell them after the scrub.

nonsense. cash is used here for 90% of stuff. and the bus and mrt are being paid for with easy cards…which you need to top up with cash. people don’t even put much money on them because they are scared they will lose them.

yea taiwan isn’t china, its going to be a long time before people are paying for food in small restaurants with their phone or card.

honestly i thought the phone thing would have taken off here. everyone’s face is glued to their phone screen 24/ 7. but their are obviously other factors at work deterring the non cash society from gaining steam here.

1 Like

same in england, infact thats part of the reason i made this thread… these things only work when you can use them everywhere. such as in england i can SWIPE my card on the bus, tube, restaurant, small shop. basically everywhere.

Have to assume your here is not Taiwan, or you don’t go outside much.

Easy cards can auto top up from your bank/credit card, I haven’t topped up with cash in many years.

mate stop it. go look in any day to day restaurant. cash is king here. and just because you top your easy card up with your bank doesn’t mean its the norm. as i already said, taiwanese are scared of losing their easy card so they won’t even put much money on them. honestly i would prefer it if things are like they are back home and i can SWIPE for everything, cash is annoying.

LOL, pretty much everyone paid by credit card in the restaurant I was in last night. Are you describing night markets or all you can eat Taiwanese buffets as “restaurants”?

I would say cash is still king here. Although there has been a big increase in electronic payments options.

Just imagine the huge world of bribery and corruption, that’s all cash…bags of it

Most restaurants probably still taking in mostly cash I would guess. Must be a government stat on this ?

Here’s the stats and target for Mobile payments, this doesn’t include cards. https://topics.amcham.com.tw/2019/05/taiwans-mobile-payments-market-heats-up/

According to Wiki, in 2016 ~ EasyCard transactions now account for 91% of Taipei Metro system transactions, 92% of bus transactions, and 71% of parking lot transactions.

Oh for sure bus and MRT you’d be a fool not to use the yo-yo cards

but most people use cash to top up easy cards. that counts as cash. yes you might have a bank easy card, i’ve seen them, my gf has one too. its not the one she uses daily. when every easy card top up machine has the bank card top up or digital top up option you might have a point. currently, no.

Regardless of the fact that using an easy card does not count as cash, no matter how you top it up, what percentage of people are using cash to top up their card?

Yes it is a restaurant .

most of them, as i already said. note the easy card machines in the stations. most of them are cash.

Swipe a card is not the same as scanning a QR code!

The Taiwanese QR-philia is not going away anytime soon, get on board. Every new app workflow has one built in. Even just a straight up http link, has been superseded with a QR code. Scan this QR code to go to our website…