not so technologically advanced..

My wife tried to use the self-checkout at our local Carrefour, and she said the system is buggy and often requires employee help.

have a pic of it?

whats the hold up on these things. the technology was figured out a long time ago. i hope they hurry up with it, because i am going to be missing out on nothing by skipping interaction with the cashiers in taiwanese supermarkets. i think iā€™ve met one polite one in my whole time here.

Iā€™ll grab one next time Iā€™m there! At the end on the screen you can select credit, cash, or one or two other options. If you choose cash a thing opens up to grab it, kind of like a reverse ATM

ok maybe its the same for the ones i saw. iā€™ll check it out next time. i assumed there was no cash as there was no coin nor notes slots.

1 Like

I found Carrefour ones to be buggy and finicky, the ones in the RT Mart are very easy to use and seldom require intervention.

2 Likes

Itā€™s much faster with cashiers.

Funny fact , a company I worked for has one of the biggest supplies of floppies in the world and are often approached to buy their stock for big bucks. Nobody seems to make them anymore .
They refuse to sell as they still need them due to regulations .

1 Like

it shouldnā€™t be. its fast back home. swipe the debit card and theres almost never a que. this ainā€™t complicated people, its been in use elsewhere for like 10 years now. just use the model that works and be done with it.

McDonaldā€™s Sanchong has those large tablet things.

While on the subjectā€¦

2 years later. and can you pay with cash?

The tablet thing had two options cash or card. I used cash up at the counter.

so if you pay with cash you need to pay at the normal counter?

Yes. The tablet thing spits out a number on a piece of paper and you carry that to the counter and pay cash.

see what i mean? thats makes the whole process two steps.

these things are never going to catch on here unless they design them properly to begin with, which isnā€™t a tall task but seems to be one hereā€¦

Cash is a dead medium, throw it out with floppies.

Yea even the US Government nuclear weapons management has decided to get rid of floppies.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/us-military-retires-floppy-disks-used-by-nuclear-weapons-system/

1 Like

not here it isnā€™t.

its only going to change if theres a quick way to pay which everyone uses and everyone accepts. thats probably decades off.

A lot of places avoid using receipts so they donā€™t want electronic payments tracking.

1 Like

No idea where ā€œhereā€ is for you, but go into any 7-11 in Taipei or New Taipei and the majority of people making small purchases are not using cash, same on buses and the MRT. In China cash is becoming very much the minority form of payment with WeChat being everywhere, even street beggars take WeChat!