Opinions About NCCU

Hi! I plan on going to Taiwan for my undergraduate next year (planning to take Business Administration).

I’ve heard great things about NCCU. However, I am kind of confused and surprised that NCCU’s ranking is not as high as I expect (12th in Taiwan, from Webometrics). Some private universities that I heard was not so great have higher rankings than NCCU’s. Can someone explain to me why? Also, what are your opinions about NCCU overall?

NCCU is considered a good school here. It’s very friendly for international students. Is the ranking 12th in the international program or just for the regular local program

12th for overall

It’s a well known school and has a good international program. And school ranking is not that important unless you’re like a local and went to like NTU for medicine which is incredibly hard.

Yes, OP, it really comes down to what you want to do with your degree. If staying here and finding a job is your goal after graduation, the school you went to does help in the process, but it’s not a deal breaker.

The Webometrics cannot give NCCU a full score because it lacks Sciences departments. It is focused on political science and economics, among other liberal subjects. That is why if considered by individual schools it has a much higher score.

Please note that it has not only exchange agreements but dual degree plans with very prestigious universities in US and Europe. It wouldn’t be able to do so if it’s quality was not up to the task.

I have plenty of friends who went there and they all have so many complaints. Also I’m not sure if I would use the term liberal for NCCU, they feel pretty rigid when it comes to course selection.

But then again I have plenty of complaints about NTU as well. I guess we are an echo chamber of discontent.

I had a short one course class studying abroad there while studying in the US and I had a good experience. Nice campus by the river, very friendly to international students, a little bit far, but not too far from the center of taipei. Maybe 200nt from their international dorms aka Ihouse to where you can party on the weekends in xinyi. Also next to the taipei zoo.

Knew a lot of people that studied abroad there and they all liked it. You’ll get a lot of international students from all over the world like France, Spain, Italy. NCCU does a good job partnering up with schools all over the world. I’ve met some nice ladies from there when I used to party. There’s also a good motel with a private pool next to it if you want some alone time with a special someone.

And honestly, don’t buy into school rankings so much. Worst mistake when i picked my college. I went to a good ranking business school studying international business, but it was in a college town with pretty much a homogeneous student body. I was one of the only people that was proficient multilingual and traveled. I learned more just working and living in different places and meeting and talking to people all around the world. Find a school that can provide you with more than just the classes can offer. NCCU is a great school for that IMO.

Liberal arts as opposed to Sciences. Like sociology, economics, management, etc. Different from arts, like music, drama, etc. As it says in the degree!

Oh ok I misunderstood.

But still from what I’ve heard NCCU is pretty rigid when it comes to course selection, at NTU it’s pretty easy to take courses of other faculties.

NTU has more courses in the international program compared to NCCU. That I can vouch for. But if you know exactly what you want to study, that shouldn’t be too much or an issue.

I’m not so sure about that. The English courses at NTU are pretty limited as well. I always thought that NCCU had more.

Indeed more 100% English taught courses, both at graduate and undergraduate level, than any other university in Taiwan.