Overseas Chinese Passport - Work Abroad

Hi all, another Overseas Chinese Passport question…

Has anyone ever tried applying for jobs abroad using an Overseas Taiwan Passport? As in, when you apply in another country, you say your nationality as Taiwanese and use your Taiwan Overseas Passport as identification? Reason I am asking is because as a U.S. citizen, it’s incredibly annoying to have to report bank info all the time back to the U.S due to FATCA. So, I’m asking if you can use overseas status to tax dodge.

Thoughts:

1. There is a possibility they will still ask for your Shenfenzhen as ID. In this case, since one doesn’t have the number, then one can’t.

2. The place of birth in Overseas Passport will still say USA. This may be a flag.

Probably clearer to ask the country in which one wishes to work. But, don’t know, thought I’d try here.

Dual citizenship won’t change the FATCA garbage. Even if you open bank accounts and get a job with a non-US passport, you are still supposed to report that stuff to the US government as a US citizen.

Banks are supposed to ask if you are a US citizen and if they find out later you lied to them by answering no, they can close your account. Or if the US government finds your unreported accounts, they may seize them or try to levy heavy fines on you.

Yeah, I wouldn’t try to pull anything funny on the IRS. They definitely don’t have a sense of humor. All you can hope is that they repeal FATCA sooner than later. In any case, as long as you make under $101,300 in wages, your income is tax free anyway.

Got it re: tax dodge.

The original question still stands: is it possible to apply with the Overseas passport? Let’s say you want to become a citizen of a country that does not permit dual citizenship. You enter in on Overseas, get your citizenship, then ‘renounce’ your ‘Taiwan citizenship’ instead of U.S., or, for those not in the U.S., whatever your actual citizenship you have.

It’s a bit fucked up, I know. Choosing to sacrificing one passport over the other, and clearly showing one’s allegiance, but I wonder what the regulation is around that? Can you ‘renounce a citizenship’ that you technically don’t even have? I don’t know, since other countries may not recognize this national/citizenship nuance. I imagine the Taipei consulates abroad would catch that. Thoughts?

You mentioned you were born in the US. How could you apply for a second country’s passport when they are going to want police records from where you grew up and lived. When your place of birth comes up, they might want to see another renunciation since USA grants birthright citizenship and they likely know that.

I think you’re trying to [edited] get away with too much.

If your intent is to avoid US income tax, I think you should be asking about renouncing your US citizenship.

If your intent is to evade US income tax, we will end the discussion immediately. :oncoming_police_car:

OK, I get the point.

Moral police aside, and (hypothetically, now) out of neither interest to evade tax nor sacrifice a citizenship to obtain another, could one still possibly apply under the Overseas passport? (e.g. does it serve as a legitimate document identity)? I suppose this is clarified either by TECO or MoL in corresponding country?

If it’s the same passport you used to enter the country, there shouldn’t be a problem using it and obtaining consular assistance (fwiw) from the relevant country/region if necessary.

Of course, every country/region has its own quirks, and some have been known to promise they’ll recognize a dual (or triple etc.) citizen as x but then turn around and treat the person as y when it suits them.