PSA: Taiwan newbies, keep alert when walking

For all the Taiwan newbies, walking the streets here can be dangerous. Delivery trucks, taxis, buses, and most civilian vehicles don’t seem to understand or have forgotten the laws of the road when it comes to pedestrians. Remember to keep your head up and stay alert.

2 Likes

Shouldn’t you always pay attention and be aware of the road when walking?

1 Like

that’s a good point. People walk like zombies (in other countries too, but here… man…)

1 Like

To be a true Taiwanese though always walk and watch Korean dramas on your smartphone at the same time.

Dear handsome foreigner riding a Ubike last Sunday afternoon by Carrefour on Baoxiao road, Xindian:

Please pay attention to your surroundings and not your cellphone while riding a bike. Otherwise, that beautiful face will end up plastered on a blue truck.

Sincerely,

An admirer.

Dear Auntie Peng,

Thanks for your advice. I will surely pay attention to the road and not have my eyes plastered to my phone the next time I’m on a Youbike.

I rely mostly on my face to put food on the table, so I thank you for your concern.

Sincerely,

Your admiree

Ubikes are a menace. I know they’re great for the environment, but a lot of riders look like they’ve never seen a bike before let alone ridden one.

At least in those things people can’t get that much speed.

Dear Ranlee,

If it was you, please get treated for phone addiction. If you do not notice the lights changed/there is an intersection/a truck is coming on your left, I think we have a problem.

1 Like

Smartphone-zombies!

The most dangerous place in Taiwan is in a pedestrian crosswalk. Second most dangerous is a budget all you can eat buffet.

1 Like

I thought the top of the rank was reserved to the eateries.

You’ve clearly never been to Zhongxiao Sogo during it’s annual sale.

1 Like

Way too dangerous for me to venture.

Next from the K man…“Chopsticks, Are You Using Them Correctly?”

If you can’t catch a fly with chopsticks
ur doing it wrong

1 Like

You were right.

Dear handsome foreigner riding your bike down Baoan Street’s wet market in Xindian with BOTH your hands in your grey hoodie pockets:

The “look, no hands ma” act is not very impressive when you have a beard. Next time I see you doing that, I am taking a picture, and posting it here. Someone will identify you and make sure you sign some insurance on their behalf.

If you do keep on doing it, I will send the pic collection to Apple Daily. May not get a cover but at least a worthwhile mention on page 13.

Yours truly,

Auntie Peng, most concerned about your lovely face ending up in a ditch. A rat infested, mosquito ladden, excrement from assorted mammals ridden, kitchen waste and bird flu decorated ditch.

Just think of them as an evolutionary accelerant.

1 Like

My adrenaline always spikes when I find myself between a food tray and a Taiwanese person.