Requirements for Taiwanese citizen to get married in Canada

What will my Taiwanese fiance need to get married in Ontario, Canada next month? We know that she’ll need 2 pieces of ID (Would a passport and national ID card be enough, or will she need her birth certificate?) and proof of being single. Anything else we should know about?

Thanks in advance for any help! :slight_smile:

When my Japanese wife (now separated) and I got married in Victoria, Australia she didn’t need anything at all other than her passport. She did not need to have proof of being single at all, all she had to do is sign a sworn statement to that effect in front of the marriage celebrant. It may be similar in Canada. Stands to reason that it would be, but obviously check.

It’s kind of funny because she was born in China but our marriage certificate lists her place of birth as being Hyogo, Japan because Hyogo is what’s listed as her 本籍 in her passport.

Have you asked the trade office? www.canada.org.tw

Found a lot of mixed info. online so far. Going to consult the trade office tomorrow and I’ll post the answer here for the next guy. Thanks for the write back.

Why not just go straight to the horse’s mouth and ask a marriage celebrant? They have to know.

That may work, or the rules may have changed since whenever person x got married.