RMB Currency

Hi there,

Im getting ready for an upcoming trip to China and was just wondering if it’s possible to withdrawl money from an ATM in China (Im with First Bank-any first hand experience?). Or is it best to change RMB before I leave (I dont even know if thats possible…haha). Any suggestions would be great!

-Eva

I think you should buy USD traveller’s checks here and then use them to buy RMB at a bank in China.

Be careful of ATMs in China. I’ve drawn fake Rmb100s at least three times in Guangdong. Fake money is everyhwere and people are overly wary of anything that doesn’t look or feel right.

Of course, you also have to consider what ATM card you are using and if it is geared for China. I know I have had heaps of trouble with my HK HSBC cards - both Visa and savings - in trying to get loot in China’s ATMs.

HG

I’m using a ChinaTrust card. Having it not work in China would just about break my irony-meter.

I alwas draw money at the ATM directly t the airport (in Shanghai there is an HSBC ATM behind the immigration). Also the ATM’s of most banks accept Visa, Maestro and Master. Take a few 100’s USD backup, since sometimes ATM’s don’t work for a cople of hours. It seems they all dial into the same telephone system, and this goes dwn sometimes…

And, of course, as HG said, be carefull. There’s a lot of fake money and ATM related theft around. Make sure you use trustfull ATMs (rather the HSBC or BOC ATM then the one at the local supermarket) and that nobody is checking you out when drawing money.