Scotland Independence from UK

Quite a bit of what I’m reading about how citizens are reacting to each other in regards whom is on which side of independence reminds me a lot of what it was like when Taiwan had their first Presidential elections back in '96.

If Scotland had a Facebook account, would it have to change its status from ‘Married’ to ‘It’s Complicated’?

It’s too bad the Scottish National Party (SNP) didn’t name themselves the Scottish National Independence Party (SNIP.) Not only would SNIP be easier to pronounce than SNP, but the “SNIP” could be taken to signify severance from the UK.

“Snip, Snip, Snip, Snip, Snip, Snip, Snip, Snip!”

Can someone name three good reasons why Scotland should be independent of the UK ?

Only one needed: ‘because they want to’ (results pending).

LOL at that. But i was hoping to find out (since I personally am far removed from the subject) why it would be a great or good thing.

[quote=“hansioux”]Either way, I think this referendum will be a win-win for both England and Scotland. If Scots voted for independence, there are other ways to maintain close ties. Otherwise it shows there are ways to go to make a perfect union.

Also, there are nations without its own army and currency.

Sovereign nations without its own army:

Under US protection:
Marshall Islands
Federated States of Micronesia
Palau

Under protection of Australian and/or New Zealand:
Kiribati
Samoa

Under protection of France:
Monaco

Countries that use other nation’s currency:
Nauru uses Australian dollar
El Salvador, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, and Palau use US dollar[/quote]

One of my favorites on this subject…

and

I don’t understand the question. When you want something, do you make up a list of pragmatic reasons, post-hoc? Some people do, I guess. The for and against stuff is irrelevant, the question is ‘do we/they want to be independent from the UK (well, England, tbh)?’

(I want English devolution next, followed by a reestablishment of the pre-Norman kingdoms. I’d fight for an independent Mercia! England hasn’t been ruled by the English for a thousand years: just a parade of French, Welsh, Scots and German landgrabbers.)

Just that a “want” should have some reasons no?

No.

They don’t really want to, anyway, not the majority.

No.

They don’t really want to, anyway, not the majority.[/quote]

A wee tiny majority, or maybe none at all.

Check it, hen.

I think they should resurrect the Scottish monarchy too. It would be kind of cool to have two queens again.

The news said early counts pointed to a no vote with an 8 pount lead.

Looks like the people have spoken.

[quote=“Rocket”]A wee tiny majority, or maybe none at all.

Check it, hen.[/quote]

That’s a nice site. The gap has narrowed in the past few minutes.

Yeah, cool site Currently 49.8 YES.

No matter who wins, the turnout has been incredible. Good for the Scots.

Thanks for finding the site, laddie. :thumbsup:

Ooh, down to 47.6%. But there are 4 million voters so we are in the early stages (around 600,000 votes).

imagine what happens if this referendum goes by Taiwan’s referendum law…

About a third of votes counted and the NOOOOOOOOOOOOs are killing it with 56.2%.