Seafaring Foreign Spouse

I have applied a JFRV at oversea embassy and planning to get a ARC(spouse) upon arrival at NIA(taiwan).
However, due to work constraint at my own country i am required to go back upon receiving my ARC and to my knowledge a re-entry permit will be issued. Purpose of getting an ARC is to allow multiple re-entry to taiwan to join my wife and go back to my country a couple of times. Would like to know will there be any fines or revoking of ARC or Multi Re-entry if i took such action. If so, any advice as i just want to reside in taiwan for a couple of times by staying around 1-2months with my wife

To my knowledge, re-entry permit is a thing of the past. Just stay here until you get your ARC, go back home and the only thing you need is your ARC, passport to re-enter.

But, you can not just stay outside Taiwan when having an ARC, there are rules that specify the time you need to live in Taiwan each year.

Noted Thanks. But i am unable to maintain the specific time required due to the fact i am a seafarer and i am unable to be in taiwan all the time. Any idea what is the required timeline?

Seems like you already know you need to be here a full 180 days without leaving in order to obtain your ID. I do not believe there’s a special clause for certain occupations. Our resident know it all, @yyy , can clarify :wink:

I would definitely double check with the immigration office since it sounds like a special case.

It used to be 183 days per year, at least for APRC (but rules have relaxed a bit), ARC I’m not sure because I’ve an APRC for many years already. Just have a look at Taiwan Immigration Agency website.

It seems re-entry permits are now just for when overstaying.

I know that some time ago they put a sticker in your passport, but as I said I’m passed that.

i have check with NIA it seems stated that APRC required 183days per year but none stated for ARC? I can wait till i got my ARC before leaving for my job but i am afraid will this lead to any immigration barring me from entering taiwan

If each of your stay is shorter than 90days, can’t you use visa exempt program?

I hate to be contradictory, but this must be new. I got my JFRV ARC within a month of landing. There was no mention of waiting 180 days. I did have a 6 month visitor visa coming in, though. This was 2011.

The only thing I had to wait for was the health insurance. It took 4 months.

It used to be but they changed it some time ago. Makes it easier for spouses.

That flattery will get me in trouble one of these days! :oops: I’ll look into this a bit later…

Oh, I just reread the OP and realized, if you don’t care about pursuing an APRC, why not use visa exempt entries like tando suggested?

On the other hand you may want NHI, and you can’t get that as a non-resident.