Settlers of Catan online

Frost asked about this, and here’s the info for anyone interested.

The best site for playing real life games is:

settlers.cs.northwestern.edu/

But the best bet is to play a couple of games against bots to figure out how it works first. The bots are much faster on this site (but you’ll have trouble getting enough people for a human game:

settlers.servegame.com/non_ladder.html

For both sites you just create an account first (easy and free). To join a human game, highlight a game and click join. To play bots, create a new game and click start game. The names of most games indicate if they’re for bots or real people.

I’m starting to get real good, winning about 2 out of 3 games.

Enjoy.

Brian

Very cool bumping into Bu Lai En and playing a round with him…

Where can I find the rules??? I’m lost. I don’t know if those are bots or people laughing at me and calling me names.

You kinda have to know how to play Settlers of Catan first. It’s a board game.

Start your own game, and play against bots and you might be able to figure it out.

The 5 different terrain types produce 5 different resources. If you have a settlement or city adjacent to that terrain type, and its number comes up on the dice, you get resources. Spend resources to expand (bottom middle panel for costs). Trade rsources with other players or with ports.

Search for Settlers of Catan rules and you might find the details. Ohterwise. play a bunch of games against bots and you might be able to figure it out.

To get bots, start your own game and click ‘start game’. Players with avatars like robots will turn up. They’re bots. Other avatars are real people.

Brian

bots on one server are johnny_5, vicky?, and r2d2. One the other (slower) server, they are tobor, gort, and ?

I find the game is much more simplified than how we play it and it loses the fun to a degree because it’s not face to face and very business-like (at least playing with the bots is…being bots and all). If you want to learn, though, come join us during Games Club one Sunday…there’s a thread about our weekly schedule and locations at the top of this forum.

I’m in the process of setting my own machine up as a server for settlers. Unfortunantly I’ve run into a bit of trouble - it works from localhost, but not from the internet sigh. I’m open to suggestions if anyone cares to help… if you want to have a squizz in the meantime it’s mythrandore.mine.nu/settlers

Edited to remove parenthesis - the site is up at least 90% of the time now

It’s working :sunglasses: now I just need to find an application that will allow me to access and modify mySQL entries. Once I work out how to do the ladder, I will start one as well.

Perhaps in the meanwhile, when we go to play Settlers online, we could name our rooms forumosa or something so we can play together. It was funny hearing how many of us are starting to play online from Games Club.

I just played with some bots. It’s pretty addictive since the bots play so fast. I like the pretty board game with its little tangible wooden pieces, but the speed of the online version compensates for the lack of aesthetic visuals. Sinister say SUPER!

I just played my fastest game…I won within 25 minutes with 10 points…the bot scores were 7, 5, and 4. Makes up for the sucky game I had in real life yesterday.

Anyone still interested in Catan online.

The official site is free…pretty good too. Mac or PC.

playcatan.com/

Anyone want a regular session…wednesday at 9:30…enter into game via password (Password: ‘forumosa’.

I play under username: 0o0o0o0o0

I could of sworn i saw a Dr.McCoy in there…

Asobrain Games is awesome. That’s where everyone plays. Of course, it’s not Settlers, it’s Xplorers, but there’s an uncanny resemblance.

games.asobrain.com/index.html

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]Asobrain Games is awesome. That’s where everyone plays. Of course, it’s not Settlers, it’s Xplorers, but there’s an uncanny resemblance.

games.asobrain.com/index.html[/quote]

Ok, I’ll check it out. What’s wrong with
playcatan.com/ ??? works good for me.

Also St Etienne is a cool band (and a nice town in France too). A friend and I went there when on cheap $20 ryanair tickets because we liked the band.

**Edit: Asobrain is closed for registration for foreseeable future

[quote]"When I started this website for the public I had never anticipated so many abusive, disrespecting, whining and dishonest people. If I had knew at the time, I probably never would have started it. Some of you may know I absolutely love programming, creating new stuff and improving other. Unfortunately, since quite a while now, I rarely get the change to do so. I find myself constantly busy with the ‘social stuff’ which is no fun at all. Much of this can be handled by my lovely voluntary crew but they need proper tools to do so. Since I am always busy with the ‘wrong’ stuff these tools are also lacking at the moment. With the current rate of ‘new’ members, we find ourselves unable to handle every complaint, request, question with the attention we would like to.

To give ourselves some time to sort things out I have closed the registration form. Besides that, I have removed all inactive profiles that haven’t logged on for at least 6 months. We are now down to about 180.000 active registered members which I think is quite a lot already. To be honest, I don’t think this measure will hurt anyone that much. Currently active members can play with their usual names, truly new members are not addicted yet and banned players are, well, not welcome. If anything, I actually think it may create a better experience for our existing members in a short while.

I have not set an end-date for the registration stop. If ever, it will open when the current crew and crew-to-be are settled and have the proper tools to do their jobs.

Greetings, Aso"[/quote]

I just started playcatan.com

lemme know if you wanna play

Real shame about Asobrain being closed for registration (over a year now, but I didn’t know). It really is much better. I checked out PlayCatan, but two things that I didn’t like immediately. 1) You have to download software. 2) You only get the basic game unless you pay for a premium account (but Cities and Knights is where the real fun is).

Asobrain is an excellent site very well coded and designed jsut because the programmer is just a dude who loves coding this stuff - not done by the company.

There’s over 7000 players, mostly playing Cities and Knights from dozens of custom start setups. Games are fast and fast to start.

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]Asobrain Games is awesome. That’s where everyone plays. Of course, it’s not Settlers, it’s Xplorers, but there’s an uncanny resemblance.

games.asobrain.com/index.html[/quote]

hi , i just registered asobrain games for playcatan playing… but it requares invitation from some member can you plz send me invitation, my email vipitapa@hmamail.com or tell em what else do you need fro invitation