Shanghaiist is dead

shanghaiist is dead, censored, shut down, no more, kaput, closed shop by evil communist overl…wait a minute… by american businessmen

https://www.google.com.tw/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/03/heartbreaking-expats-china-mourn-loss-popular-shanghaiist-blog/amp/

didnt see that one coming

Sounds more like a business decision, not everything is the Commie’s fault

"But DNAinfo is, at the end of the day, a business, and businesses need to be economically successful if they are to endure. And while we made important progress toward building DNAinfo into a successful business, in the end, that progress hasn’t been sufficient to support the tremendous effort and expense needed to produce the type of journalism on which the company was founded. "

More info on the unionizing of the journalists which triggered the shutdown

thats pretty out of the blue. shanghaiist articles are like 90% of what i read on facebook. guess i’ll just use it even less…

i know, the reference to ‘evil communit overlords’ was an attept at humor. i know the evil overlords in this case are of the capitalist variety. there is irony in there somewhere for sure

Saw that message when I tried to have a look today. Was a shame, always checked there when I felt like I was having a bad day in Taiwan, to remind myself why I left China.

3 Likes

I read Gothamist’s daily email for years. Was great for the random kind of news from home that doesn’t make the papers. I guess someone will fill the niche, if maybe not as well.

1 Like

For(u)mosist? :ponder:

My friend lives and works in Shanghai. He seems to dig it, at least according to his FB. But I also have a friend who worked in a small industrial no-name town (or mini city) in rural China, and he said it was so dirty that he’d eat food off a Taiwanese sidewalk before he’d eat at one of the restaurants there. I get the sense he had a very bad experience.

Start up one from Taiwan.

Surprise surprise the site is back up again, who would have thought…

Gothamist and other cities are back up too…

Maybe they are just archive versions.