Shortcuts/Scenic routes to Fulong/Tashi

I was at Fu Long Beach last weekend, and going home on Route 2, I noticed a sign for a “Taoyuan Wilderness road/trail” or some such thing.

Is there a mountain road that goes from Taoyuan to Fu long?

[quote=“jdsmith”]I was at Fulong Beach last weekend, and going home on Route 2, I noticed a sign for a “Taoyuan Wilderness road/trail” or some such thing.

Is there a mountain road that goes from Taoyuan to Fulong?[/quote]

The sign likely meant the Taoyuan Valley trail which connects to the Tasoling Historical Trail. The THT starts in Fulong and ends in Daxi. The Taoyuan Valley is not a valley but grassy slopes on bluffs overlooking the Pacific. Fantastic location. Absolutely perfect for a spring or fall picnic. The small herd of buffalo that graze on the grass remind yOu you are in Asia.

By the way, why did you take Route 2 back? Why not the 102 and then the 106 to Shenkeng/Mucha interchange on the number 3? Much nicer route with far less traffic. No big trucks or buses either. About an hour from Fulong to the number 3 right at the Shenkeng/Mucha interchange. Then another 30 minutes to Yingge.

[quote=“Muzha Man”][quote=“jdsmith”]I was at Fulong Beach last weekend, and going home on Route 2, I noticed a sign for a “Taoyuan Wilderness road/trail” or some such thing.

Is there a mountain road that goes from Taoyuan to Fulong?[/quote]

The sign likely meant the Taoyuan Valley trail which connects to the Tasoling Historical Trail. The THT starts in Fulong and ends in Daxi. The Taoyuan Valley is not a valley but grassy slopes on bluffs overlooking the Pacific. Fantastic location. Absolutely perfect for a spring or fall picnic. The small herd of buffalo that graze on the grass remind yOu you are in Asia.

By the way, why did you take Route 2 back? Why not the 102 and then the 106 to Shenkeng/Muzha interchange on the number 3? Much nicer route with far less traffic. No big trucks or buses either. About an hour from Fulong to the number 3 right at the Shenkeng/Muzha interchange. Then another 30 minutes to Yingge.[/quote]

awesome!

I will next time!

Thanks brother! :notworthy:

Just in case you don’t know, the turn off for the 102 is just north of Fulong. When you see the gas station on the left, turn left. Probably best though to drive the route from Yingge first and get off the number 3 at the Shenkeng/Mucha interchange. It’s pretty simple to find your way from there with a map and watching the road signs. I can give you exact directions if you like.

There’s also a mountain route to Daxi beach just off the 106, or 102, in Gongliao (about 20 minute before Fulong). Very lovely route. Almost no development on it at all. Road it last weekend and saw maybe 20 cars. Takes about the same time as the coastal route.

Once you do the 106/102 route you’ll never consider any other when travelling to Fulong and beyond.

However, it’s not the Shengkang/Mucha exit…It’s the Shrting exit which is the next one after. There are two offramps close together there, make sure you take the second one going up instead of down. They are only a 100meters apart or so. You’ll then pop through a long tunnel, and soon after the expressway ends. You’ll drop down, turn left, about 200meters to a T-junction. Turn right, about half a click down you’ll see a mountain road going up on your left. Can’t miss it. From there it’s about 40 minutes to the turn off. You’ll go through several small villages, go through a couple of small tunnels, cross a bridge, a sizable village, and finally you’ll run into a very small village where the road narrows to one lane. Just after that you’ll drop down a small hill and see the turnoff to the right. It’s well marked. Up a hill, through a long tunnel (Warning: Just after the tunnel, the road narrows very quickly into a steep and windy section…It’s been the scene of countless accidents so SLOW DOWN) and descend the steep and windy section after the long tunnel. The road will open up to 4 lanes for about 4km and then narrow up again. At this point you’ll want to watch out for a right hand turn about 1km or so after the road narrows, again well marked. You have to do a little ducking and weaving through the town here but again it’s marked. Once past that you’ll be sailing on open 4 lane highway again which is in various stages of construction. From there it’s about 8km to the coast. Just turn right at the gas station and you’ll be in Fulong in one minute.

Was on it a couple of weeks ago…Fantastic, as always.

[quote=“MJB”]Once you do the 106/102 route you’ll never consider any other when travelling to Fulong and beyond.

However, it’s not the Shengkang/Muzha exit…It’s the Shrting exit which is the next one after. [/quote]

Good summary MJB. But you can also take the Mucha exit. I have timed them both and there is almost no difference. And some days, and times of the day, it is better to take the Mucha exit as the traffic can get heavy on the highway.

You’ll turn right, drive a kilometer to the end, then turn left, drive 100-200 yards, then right again. As MJB said, the way is clearly signed. In fact, at this last right, the sign is for Fulong. However, if you turn right again about 50 yards down this road you will be on the mountain route to Daxi. A small river will be on your left at the start. The route is pretty straight forward. Just stay on what looks like the main road. In an hour you’ll descend a beautiful gorge to reach Daxi. The main beach is about 1km to the right after you go through a gate and turn onto the main road (coastal highway 2). When you see the giant banyan tree on the right, park. Cross the road, cross the temple lot, go down a small road and you are at the beach.

Mods, can this thread should be stickied and renamed “Shortcuts to Fulong and Daxi Beaches?”

Mucha man,

You are right as always, but maybe for the unintiated taking Shrting might be easier.

I few years ago I was heading home from a dive trip in Ilan and ran into some friends of mine on motorcycles heading south. I stopped and asked where they were going…“Home” they replied. After about 30 seconds I realized they’d been doing Chungli-Taipei-Bei ee/Chaoshi and then north to Fulong for a total of six hours ride time.

Not admiring the scenery…They didn’t know any other way to get there. :astonished:

As for the Tashi route, maybe we should think about organizing a motorcycle trip to check it out. I haven’t done this one yet, and am keen to add it to my growing list of must see routes. Gems such as this are best explored on two wheels.

You the man… :notworthy:

Next weekend I might take the hiking club to a trail that starts up this road about 11km from Daxi. If so, maybe you can join at least for the ride.

Be warned though, there is a species of cicada along this road that sounds like it could audition for a part in a slasher film. Eeeeeeerrrrrrriiieeeee, and unnervng after an hour listening to it.

Also, the road almost always fogs over by late afternoon so prepare to take the 2 back at least to Fulong.

Have them here too…I know what you mean.

Might go diving next weekend anyway, and if so will be based in Fulong. So a possibility. And as for the fog…Well, let’s just say I’m well equipped for it. :sunglasses:

[quote=“MJB”][quote=“Muzha Man”]
Be warned though, there is a species of cicada along this road that sounds like it could audition for a part in a slasher film. Eeeeeeerrrrrrriiieeeee, and unnervng after an hour listening to it.
[/quote]

Have them here too…I know what you mean.

Might go diving next weekend anyway, and if so will be based in Fulong. So a possibility. And as for the fog…Well, let’s just say I’m well equipped for it. :sunglasses:[/quote]

Yeah, I guess living up on the hill in Yangmei you would be.

You get those cicadas, too? Man, they are weird. Here in Mucha we only get the lawnmover cicadas. Loud and obnoxious, and of course grating, but they don’t make me feel like I’m about to be murdered.

Hey, I should start a thread on this. What do the cicadas near your house sound like? :sunglasses:

Whats the best route to this road from Ying Ge?

Uh, look up Mr Smith. Take Highway 3 to the Shiding exit. The rest is explained in detail.

Uh, look up Mr Smith. Take Highway 3 to the Shiding exit. The rest is explained in detail.[/quote]

What? No map??

:wink:

If you do take that route then once you get to Swanxhi, it’s possible to take a mountain route to Daxhi. The mountain route is well maintained and has many good camping spots and fishing holes. Turn right at the blue lamp posts in Swanxhi over a small bridge and you can just follow that road all the way to Daxhi. It takes about 40 minutes from there so it is not faster than driving though Fulong.

That’s the same road I mention above. Yes, Shuangxi is where you make the turn. Where do you camp along that route? As for fishing, you aren’t supposed to be fishing in any mountain stream anymore. There’s a moratorium.

There is one large river that flows through that area once at the river turn right at the first right hand after the bridge and the road doubles back to the river. There are spots to camp along the river bank. Pretty vague but I don’t know the name of the river sorry.

Love that spot. The swimming holes are great. But didn’t you notice the big sign that you aren’t allowed to camp there? It’s a watershed area. I’ve seen spots where people barbecue. I guess they camp there too. Interesting. Have you ever camped there?

Um no, but I have a friend who goes most weekends.

so… who wants to accompany me on this muzha to daxi route? want to give the new car a blurt, and would love to be shown this route.

When I can handle it fine based on MJB/Mucha man’s writeups, then you should be able to do just fine as well.

I found it to be a very easy drive, not hard to make my way over to fulong at all.