So, Is It OK to be an English Teacher for a While?

Did any of you initially question becoming a teacher in Taiwan? I would really like to go to Taiwan, and I wouldn’t mind teaching, I just feel guilty not respecting my father’s wishes (he wants me to focus on my career) and not earning a reasonable income. I have just finished my first year of work at my company, but the strong desire to go to Taiwan just keeps getting to me sometimes.

Did any of you have any challenges or people that didn’t agree with your decision to go to Taiwan to teach? How did you guys handle it?

You’ll find it hard to explain the gap in your resume if you’re here for more than a year.

‘English teacher in asia’ reads ‘irresponsible backpacker’ to many employers back home.

The scene isn’t exactly thriving at the moment either. You’ll have to start at the very bottom and pray you get enough hours.

Yes it is okay if you can find a job, there are other jobs too of course, just do it if you want to move back. it can be a temporary job whatever you like.

[quote=“Rabidpie”]Did any of you initially question becoming a teacher in Taiwan? I would really like to go to Taiwan, and I wouldn’t mind teaching, I just feel guilty not respecting my father’s wishes (he wants me to focus on my career) and not earning a reasonable income. I have just finished my first year of work at my company, but the strong desire to go to Taiwan just keeps getting to me sometimes.

Did any of you have any challenges or people that didn’t agree with your decision to go to Taiwan to teach? How did you guys handle it?[/quote]

Considering the state of the American and British economy tell your father that moving to Asia is a smart career choice. Though I would recommend going to Mainland China and try to work in your field if possible. You might be able to become a go between for companies in your industry doing business in China. You might start buy accepting a 6 month teaching job in China and then interviewing for jobs in your industry. Depending on your skills there is no reason not to work in the industry that you are trying to pursue a career in.

Go to China, learn Mandarin and you never know what may become of it!

[quote=“steelersman”][quote=“Rabidpie”]Did any of you initially question becoming a teacher in Taiwan? I would really like to go to Taiwan, and I wouldn’t mind teaching, I just feel guilty not respecting my father’s wishes (he wants me to focus on my career) and not earning a reasonable income. I have just finished my first year of work at my company, but the strong desire to go to Taiwan just keeps getting to me sometimes.

Did any of you have any challenges or people that didn’t agree with your decision to go to Taiwan to teach? How did you guys handle it?[/quote]

Considering the state of the American and British economy tell your father that moving to Asia is a smart career choice. Though I would recommend going to Mainland China and try to work in your field if possible. You might be able to become a go between for companies in your industry doing business in China. You might start buy accepting a 6 month teaching job in China and then interviewing for jobs in your industry. Depending on your skills there is no reason not to work in the industry that you are trying to pursue a career in.

Go to China, learn Mandarin and you never know what may become of it![/quote]

I already know Mandarin and I actually already work in China (based in Shanghai). My problem is simply trying to get to Taiwan, but Taiwan doesn’t have as many opportunities for work in anything, I have looked and looked.

What do you do in China?

[quote=“Rabidpie”][quote=“steelersman”][quote=“Rabidpie”]Did any of you initially question becoming a teacher in Taiwan? I would really like to go to Taiwan, and I wouldn’t mind teaching, I just feel guilty not respecting my father’s wishes (he wants me to focus on my career) and not earning a reasonable income. I have just finished my first year of work at my company, but the strong desire to go to Taiwan just keeps getting to me sometimes.

I already know Mandarin and I actually already work in China (based in Shanghai). My problem is simply trying to get to Taiwan, but Taiwan doesn’t have as many opportunities for work in anything, I have looked and looked.[/quote]

So you really have no reason to come to Taiwan then? Of course I am the wrong person to ask since I actually want to leave Taiwan. I am hoping to move to Bali soon.

[quote=“steelersman”][quote=“Rabidpie”][quote=“steelersman”][quote=“Rabidpie”]Did any of you initially question becoming a teacher in Taiwan? I would really like to go to Taiwan, and I wouldn’t mind teaching, I just feel guilty not respecting my father’s wishes (he wants me to focus on my career) and not earning a reasonable income. I have just finished my first year of work at my company, but the strong desire to go to Taiwan just keeps getting to me sometimes.

I already know Mandarin and I actually already work in China (based in Shanghai). My problem is simply trying to get to Taiwan, but Taiwan doesn’t have as many opportunities for work in anything, I have looked and looked.[/quote]

So you really have no reason to come to Taiwan then? Of course I am the wrong person to ask since I actually want to leave Taiwan. I am hoping to move to Bali soon.[/quote]

Yeah, that about sums it up. I don’t have a reason except I really like the place and would love to live there.

“Yeah, that about sums it up. I don’t have a reason except I really like the place and would love to live there.”

There’s gotta be a better reason for you to like this place. Sounds to me like you’re a Taiwanese/Chinese who have lived in the Western world for too long.

Once you get to know the Taiwan society as a whole, you’ll wish you never settle here.

[quote=“PigBloodCake”]“Yeah, that about sums it up. I don’t have a reason except I really like the place and would love to live there.”

There’s gotta be a better reason for you to like this place. Sounds to me like you’re a Taiwanese/Chinese who have lived in the Western world for too long.

Once you get to know the Taiwan society as a whole, you’ll wish you never settle here.[/quote]

What really? Dude Taiwan is the best place in Asia. How long have you been there? Maybe the stinky tofu got to you.

And where is the thread for finding a job in China? :wink:

You want to find a job in China…? That’s a bit easier :smiley:

Where’s the thread? Well there’s quite a few sources i can direct you to if you are seriously interested…

Rabid, Would not hurt to have. Last time I looked I saw all third party people with the dreaded fees.

[quote=“PigBloodCake”]“Yeah, that about sums it up. I don’t have a reason except I really like the place and would love to live there.”

Once you get to know the Taiwan society as a whole, you’ll wish you never settle here.[/quote]
That’s a bit harsh, innit? :ohreally:

[quote=“bismarck”]
That’s a bit harsh, innit? :ohreally:[/quote]

Kinda…sorta like saying the grass is always greener on the other side.

That’s sorta like how I felt before moving back to Taiwan with the family…

[quote=“PigBloodCake”][quote=“bismarck”]
That’s a bit harsh, innit? :ohreally:[/quote]

Kinda…sorta like saying the grass is always greener on the other side.

That’s sorta like how I felt [color=#FF0000]before moving back to Taiwan with the family[/color]…[/quote]
Oh. I understand where you’re coming from now. I’ve known a few people who have had to “move back” to Taiwan with the family after having grown up in western countries, and for the most part they don’t seem to like it much. I get that. Any reason why you can’t go back at some point?