Spontaneous English - Taichung

[quote=“Loretta”]Avrom, why don’t you give the details of how you came to be ripped off? Specific information is a lot more acceptable here than “Joe Bloggs is a little shit.”
[/quote]

Details?
Pretty straight forward. At the end of the “contract” (an almost meaningless TERM in this game, much less a valid legal document), I was told via telephone that $9000 NT would be deducted from my pay for having been late (less then 5 mins) on two occassions. NOTE: There were no terms in the contract relating to deductions for being late, or anything of the sort - see above comment re: meaningless/valid.

I told him that was ridiculous. I went to the school and told “Chachi” that I wanted my money. I worked the hours, I expected to be paid. “Chachi” went absolutely berserk, threatened to kill me, and refused to pay me ANY of the money he owed.
Not the first time he’s ripped people off in this way: Invents a reason to rip them off…when they object, turn it into a huge fight and refuse to pay anything.
Since he’s hiring people “under-the-table” to begin with, there’s no legal recourse. You cannot turn to the courts to enforce an illegal contract. That, however, does not alter the underlying principle of quantum meruit, pursuant to which the evil, alcoholic, lying, thieving weasel Chachi has stolen my (and others) services.

What did you think? That he held me up at gunpoint and took the money back? How many ways ARE there to be ripped off by a buxiban operator? I suspect that in the vast majority of cases (as in this one) it’s a bald refusal to pay what is owed with the full knowledge that there’s not a damn thing to be done about it…short of hiring some thugs to lay a good East-end sock beating on the sonuvabitch. Hmmmmm.