Stranded in the mountains with both legs broken for 35 days and survives

Man, this dude is tough.

He was trekking the Noukou-Haron (能高-哈崙) ridge-line alone, when he fell and broken his right hip and left leg.

He managed to survive for 2 weeks, then decided he must climb to a higher spot with cell reception, so he crawled up 300 meters with both legs broken, made a call, but that’s still not the end of his ordeal.

The rescue team still have to search for him in one of the most difficult terrains, and the weather was also terrible. This dude had to survive on his own for another 21 days before his rescuers arrive. He ran out of food 8 days before he was discovered, so he managed to survive for 8 days without food with both legs broken. He was stranded for a total of 35 days.

1 Like

how did his phone remained charged for 2 weeks!

He used a 2G phone which lasted weeks when not used. Taiwan’s 2G network will go offline by the end of this month.

2 Likes

I’ve written 3 articles on this story: Let’s get some facts straight.

Lee departed May 13 and expected to reach Hualian 15 days later - May 28

His last contact with family was May 15

He fell and fractured his left lower leg and right thigh on May 20. He also has a spinal injury.

He climbed the ridge to get out of forest cover and avoid rising water. I don’t think he was trying to get a phone signal, but I might be wrong. From reports I’ve read I got the feeling he was surprised to find the phone signal.

The phone battery had lasted 31 days!

He made the call June 14. A helicopter was dispatched but failed to locate him due to weather conditions. Then the Meiyu front set in preventing further attempts by air.

A ground party departed May 15. They took 5 days to reach him. They made contact at 9:17am yesterday. He was airlifted out at 1:55pm.

A truly amazing tale of survival.

1 Like

he was outside the whole time during the recent rain storms?? madness.

Sorry but unless he hacked off an arm with a nail file he’s a wuss. Also if he had a cellphone couldn’t he have called Food Panda? :grandpa:

1 Like

Wonder why they didn’t drop some guys off to look for him?
Anyway…awesome story all round…tough as nails!!

Incredible story of survival. One for REader’s Digest and a bunch of other mags for sure.

Cant even imagine the ordeal he went through. …can’t

I’m guessing you meant June?

1 Like

Back in my day, we had to hike over the central mountains barefoot, in the snow, uphill both ways every day just to get to work in the factory where you paid the boss for the privilege to work.

Kids these days are just soft.

1 Like

If this dude was current with technology and had a smart-phone he’d be as dead as his short battery life iPhone.

I know, eh?

Yeah, but then he wouldn’t have gone anyway, because he’d have been too busy fopping around on social media like most of us. :idunno:

2 Likes

How does it work tho - his mother reported his disappearance to police on 4th but they did nothing for 10 days until on 14th he actually called by himself?

Maybe he likes to be fashionably late. Who’s his provider? Surprised he got service where he was.

Of course not. They searched for many days.

Taiwan looks small on a map, but if you flattened flattened out the central mountain range with a giant rolling pin, it would be a very big country.

Remember this case: Family claim search and rescue was negligent:

http://www.thewildeast.net/2011/05/tough-questions-raised-about-hiker’s-unnecessary-death/

And in this recent case they called off a search after 20 days: