Taipei Movie Theater Directory

Hi,

I’m proposing that we all contribute information here to create a Taipei Movie Theater Directory. If something suitable already exists, great, mention it. However, take a look at what I’d like to compile and see if what already exists is as useful or if you can contribute something.

My idea is that we’d end up with a “sticky” (or something similar) in Forumosa, in this forum or in “Living in Taiwan”. The directory would be divided into three major sections: 1) Regular theaters, 2) Discount theaters, and 3) More Information. The first being defined as full-price, latest release theaters. The second type shows two movies for NT $100 or something similar.

Within each of the two sections, we would compile, and eventually display, the same information about each theater:

• Theater name
  • Pricing Scheme
  • Address (and maybe a link to a map)
  • Phone
  • Website address
  • Comments (normally include info on seating, advanced reservations, etc.)

Finally, in the “More Information” section, we could add links to past threads of Forumosa discussing theater particulars, other movie websites of interest, etc.

So, the first step is done – this post. The second step involves people replying to this post with any info that they have that is accurate. Don’t worry about being all-inclusive or doing it in any order. Later, once enough info has been submitted, I will print it out, make sense of it, rearrange it, and submit it to Gus or whomever for proper placement.

A final note: The “regular theaters” (full price) are easier to get info about. Although I am soliciting info about those also, my difficulty so far has been locating the discount theaters in town or any info about them. There is one in the Gongguan MRT area and one on MinQuan W. Rd (near Chengde Rd). I have only partial info on those, and no info on any others.

Comments?

Seeker4

Great idea by seeker4, here are my favorites:

Ambassador @ Breeze Center
NTD270 or NTD300 incl. soda and popcorn (small set)
Breeze Center 7th floor, FuXing South Road (intersection with Civic Blvd.)
www.ambassador.com.tw
Phone number on the website
Newish, comfortable, excellent price (set for NTD300 incl. ticket, soda & popcorn)
Mostly empty during the week and not too crowded on weekends

Cinemark @ Living Mall
NTD270 or NTD250 (discount card, 12 tickets for NTD3000)
Living Mall, B1, between Bade Rd. / Civic Blvd., east of GuangFu N. Rd.
www.cinemark.com.tw
Phone number on the website
Newish, comfortable, good price using the discount card - does not
include drink and popcorn though (AFAIK around NTD130 per set, medium)
Free shuttle bus from Sogo (ZhongXiao / FuXing) and XinYi district

[quote=“seeker4”]2) Discount theaters . . . show two movies for NT $100 or something similar.

my difficulty so far has been locating the discount theaters in town or any info about them. There is one in the Gongguan MRT area and one on MinQuan W. Rd (near Chengde Rd). [/quote]
The discount theaters, a.k.a. second-run theaters, are one of the best kept secrets of Taipei in my book (should add it to that thread). You pay NT$100 for, not two but, three movies at Dashiji (Great Century) near Taida. That is, if your butt can stand it. I recently saw 21 Grams there. Could’ve stayed for Jersey Girl and Secret Window, but after a movie like 21 Grams, anything would pale next to it. One of the best movies I’ve seen this year, and spent only $100 :slight_smile:

Dashiji is at 325 Roosevelt Rd. Sec. 3, near the We Care bakery.

Good idea :bravo:

I’d suggest that we put general discussion on the movie theaters in this [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/taipei-movie-theaters-chat-thread/791/1 and reserve the one here for info like prices and addresses. Some additions from my side:

Warner Village 華納威秀影城
Ticket prices around 300 NT$
Songshou Rd No. 18 (right behind Taipei 101, closest MRT station City Hall)
warnervillage.com.tw/vistait … siteLang=1
Phone: 02-8789 4100
check above mentioned chat thread for details on deals etc

SPOT
Ticket price: 220 NT$ / 150 NT$ with member card
Chungshan Nth Rd Sec. 2 No 18 (around the corner from Chungshan MRT station)
www.spot.org.tw
Phone: 02-2511-7786
An artsy movie theater in a beautiful old building with a great DVD shop. No numbered seating. Schedule here

Changchun 長春戲院
Ticket prices around 250NT$ iirc
Changchun Rd. No. 172, just around the corner from Songjiang Rd
leofoo.com.tw/movie/index_main.htm
Phone: 02-25074141 、25074142、25074149
a fairly new, nice theater that shows a lot of European movies that don’t run anywhere else (“Triplets of Belleville” anyone?)

President 總統戲院
Ticket price around 250 NT$ iirc
Zhonghua Rd Sec. 1 No 59, 4F (Hsimenting MRT station exit 2
[color=red]if anybody could provide a web site, I’d be grateful[/color]
Phone: 02-2375 8128
Also one of the theaters in Taipei that doesn’t only show mainstream Hollywood movies.

Governor 總督影城
Ticket prices 250 NT$, with discount tickets between 190 and 220 NT$
It’s on Chang’an, somewhere east of Jianguo, iirc, I’ll edit the address as soon as I’ve found (nowhere to be found on the bloody website :fume: )
governor.com.tw/first.htm
Phone: 02-2741-5991
been there once, it’s sort of shoddy

Dynasty Theater 朝代大戲院
Ticket prices???
Minquan W Rd No. 136
dynasty-theater.com/
Phone: 02-2557-1300
(never been there)

Hoover 豪華大戲院
Ticket prices??? but they seem to have a VIP deal with 2000 NT$ for 10 tickets
Wuchang Street Sec. 2 No. 89 (Hsimenting MRT station exit 6)
hoover.com.tw/frameset.htm
Phone: 02-23315077#21 or 31
(never been there)

More theaters:
By courtesy of American Airlines
By courtesy of Yahoo

Schedules and Reviews:
China Post movie showtimes

Websites on movies in Taiwan:
movie.com.tw/indexc.html (Chinese only)
taiwancinema.com/en_home.php (English and Chinese)

So much for today
Iris

LUX Cineplex樂聲戲院
Ticket Prices: average? NT260 adult…
Address: down the street from Hoover Cinema…
WuChang street sec. 2 No.85 in Ximending…
http://www.iehome.com.tw/theater_lux.asp?selTheater=9003,樂聲戲院&selArea=0002,台北市
Phone: 2929-7108

[quote=“iris”]Good idea :bravo:

I’d suggest that we put general discussion on the movie theaters in this [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/taipei-movie-theaters-chat-thread/791/1 and reserve the one here for info like prices and addresses. [/quote]
Good input, especially the long list from Iris. In answer to your suggestion, Iris, the idea is that once there’s enough info in this thread, it can be reconstituted as I described originally, and reposted as a sticky. So, we can all just keep adding to this one and using it as a scratchpad for now.

I located another discount theater in the Shilin night market area. I’m still researching the particulars, but I believe the following is true:

Lee Fong (incorrect pinyin)
Type: Discount
Address: #10, Lane 144, Wen Lin Rd.
Phone: 2883-8417
Price: One movie is NT $80. Second, bought at same time, NT $50.
Opens: 12:30pm. Closes: Ambigious.

of theaters: 2

I haven’t seen a movie there yet, so no “quality” comments so far. It is just north of the Chit Chat Cafe off Wen Lin Rd. and almost under the MRT track. It can be easily reached either from Wen Lin Rd. or from the sidewalk under the MRT a couple of blocks north of Jiantan MRT Station (sidewalk that parallels Zhongshan N. Road – landmark from that direction is a neon “Pub” sign over an archway). It is also not a very far walk south from the Shilin MRT Station.

Seeker4

((Note: At the moment, they are showing “Troy” – certainly worth NT $80. And that “Van Helsing” vampire movie - yikes!))

Don’t have the exact address, but I can tell you exactly where it is. It’s east of Fuxing near the Chang’an-Fuxing intersection. If you go east toward the Adventist Hospital on Chang’an, it’ll be on your left. Nearest MRT stop is Nanjing E. Rd station. You’ll get the discount if you purchase the ticket with your credit card.

Governor is located just beside the Sunrise department store at the intersection of Fuxing and Changan Rd.

Two things:

1. For purposes of collecting info for this directory, a “discount” theater is one that sells tickets for around NT $100 for usually two movies.

2. HELP: I’ve found references to a Warner Theater in Tienmu, but no address info. I’m trying to go there today (gotta see “SuperSize Me” before it leaves Taiwan). Anyone know where it is?

Thanks,

Seeker4

The second-run theater (discount theater) in Yong-He is at:

Yongzhen Rd, number 42.
2928 3328-9

Near the corner of Fuhe Rd/Yongzhen Rd/Zhulin Rd

Haven’t seen anything there yet, but they have 3 or 4 theatres, so you get more of a selection than the one on Roosevelt (which I like).

110NT, which I think is for as many movies as you want to see.

I really want to find out where more of these 2nd-run theatres are.

Brian

There’s a second run place in Jingmei, close to the nightmarket and another down near Bitan. I’ll try to find the exact addresses, but since I go to the movies maybe once a year, it might take a while.

This is an excellent site for checking all the new movies in Taiwan, including first and second run theaters:

atmovies.com.tw/bin/home.asp?tab=movie

This link should get you directly to a large list of Taipei theaters:

atmovies.com.tw/bin/theater.asp?area=a02

Since my post looking for the address for the Warner Theater in Tianmu, I have found it. For anyone else who wants to know:

Warner Village Cinemas Tianmu
4F, #202 Zhongcheng Rd. Sec 2
Taipei City
(02) 2876-3300

This theater is on the corner of Zhongcheng Rd and Tianmu E. Rd. It is about 2 blocks east of Zhongshan N. Rd on Tianmu E. Rd.

Still want to consolidate this info and turn it into a Sticky – just trying to find the time to do it now.

Seeker4

A word to the wise about Cinemark in the Death Star/Living Hell Mall - [color=red]Cinema No.3 [/color]often does not turn on the speakers at the side of the theatre, only the speakers at the very front. I don’t know why. It’s happened to me twice in the last year and each time I complained to the management that they were not offering me “the best seat in town” (their slogan), and each time they gave us free tickets to see another movie.

Nan Shan 湳山戲院
Ticket prices 140NT$ as many movies as you can take
#1 Lane 24 Tong Hwa Street
showtimes http://www.atmovies.com.tw/bin/showtime.asp?theater_id=t02f08&area=a02
Phone: 02-2702-3130
Discount theater five minutes walking north from the Lin Jiang night market, east side of Taipei. Theater A is a bigger theater, while B, C, and D are only about 100 seats each.
台北市通化街24巷1號

Thanks for keeping the list of theaters going …

Major first-run theaters are pretty easy to find, as is info on them – what we really need help with here is “discount theaters”. Anyone who knows about one not already posted, please contribute.

Thanks,

Seeker4

Not a taipei cinema complex, but at Taimall (Nankan, Taoyuan) the top floor has about 14 theaters. Prices are around $660 for 2 tix, 2 drinks and large popcorn at peak time.
Comfy seats, modern, and hardly ever very busy so usually get a good seat even 10 min before a movie.
website http://www.acetheaters.com.tw

The Westin hotel now has what looks like a very plush movie theatre indeed. NT$350 for a ticket and you can get food such as a ham and cheese croissant (NT$150).

[quote=“seeker4”]Since my post looking for the address for the Warner Theater in Tianmu, I have found it. For anyone else who wants to know:

Warner Village Cinemas Tianmu
4F, #202 Zhongcheng Rd. Sec 2
Taipei City
(02) 2876-3300

This theater is on the corner of Zhongcheng Rd and Tianmu E. Rd. It is about 2 blocks east of Zhongshan N. Rd on Tianmu E. Rd.

Still want to consolidate this info and turn it into a Sticky – just trying to find the time to do it now.

Seeker4[/quote]
I think this one turned into a Miramar Cinema. Hard to find a listing for it now.

Found this list of second-run movie theaters here. Since I’m such a swell guy, here’s a translation of their addresses.

西門戲院

02-23814361
台北市中華路1段144號5F

Ximen - Zhonghua Rd. Sec. 1 #144 5F

大世紀戲院

02-23633909
台北市羅斯福路三段325號

Roosevelt Rd. Sec. 3 #325

景美僑興戲院

02-29312463 (語音)
台北市景美區景文街72號

Jingmei - Jingwen St. #72