Taiwan ARC criminal record check

As others have said “welcome to Taiwan” (actually more like “welcome to Asia” in general).

Not that we should excuse employers in the US denying jobs to qualified applicants with a single decade old DUI on their record.

1 Like

Right, they would never pass a law saying you can’t board a plane because you might be a terrorist even though you’re 6 months old… oh, wait. :doh:

(I’m not taking a position on any of these laws btw.)

1 Like

Btw if you want another example from Asia, consider the case of the girl raped and murdered on a train in Thailand by a staff member on drugs (already illegal of course). The reaction? Stop letting passengers drink alcohol on trains. :whistle:

Im aware the U.S. gov does some f*cked up stuff, but that’s a different discussion. I still love Taiwan. Nothing will change that. Just don’t really get this impulsively bureaucratic move. Just my opinion I guess

A lot of people will be thanking Jah that the law isn’t being back-dated to check on foreigners already here. That’s presumably down to expedience on the part of the government (the major cram school chains would have crapped their pants).

The rule’s standard in any developed country where adults have access to children. The catalyst for the rule being introduced may be a little odd, but what was really strange is that there were no criminal background checks in the past. That was undoubtedly down to very large red envelopes.

1 Like

@BiggusDickus Jesus, I’m not saying there shouldn’t be background checks… what you should be asking yourself, and what I think was one of the points made in this thread, is whether petty misdemeanors should bar qualified applicants from getting a job at a damn cram school. Decade old dui’s, traffic misdemeanors, infractions, like one guy said above an expired license? Just saying, something to think about…

Since when do students matter? All that matters is that liberal arts majors and community college graduates from the US can come to Taiwan to seek their inner self and copulate with the local population. How dare Taiwan asks for criminal records? /end sarcasm.

Obviously the intent of lawmakers was not to filter out people with expired driving licenses. Hence the enforcement of the act should be sensible and only those offenses on foreign criminal record certificates that would also find mention on a ROC criminal record certificate should be considered in applications. But overall requiring criminal record certificates is a step in the right direction for an otherwise too unregulated industry.

2 Likes

Oh, I agree. Deciding the point at which a non-expunged criminal offence becomes suitable to bar a potential teacher is tricky, though. The ones you list I agree should not disbar someone from teaching in Taiwan. Other people might argue that other non-violent offences such as drug possession should also be included.

Interestingly, or not, if you click on the link I’ve highlighted you can see a list of offences teaching applicants got pulled up for in my home country in 2015-16:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/criminal-record-checks-on-teachers-2015-to-2016

It’s going to involve quite a discussion to decide which are OK and which aren’t. The 20 arsonists - fair enough. The 1 for sacrilege - well, that could create quite a debate.

As I say, I agree with you but I can foresee many complications - especially when foreign teachers are very low on the people legislators give a fuck about list.

1 Like

You’re from the UK? Always thought you’re from ancient Rome. Must be the name…

Well, obviously it’s meant to be taken literally. It refers to any member from the British Isles.

Update for Canadians:

Global Affairs Canada claims the last update to its “Teaching English in Taiwan” brochure was in January last year, yet somehow it includes the criminal record check for teachers that came into effect half a year later (without mentioning that it’s required for buxiban teachers only, among other inaccuracies here and there).

The list of requirements says you need a “certified criminal record check” (so that should mean not a police record check – but don’t take my word for it) “from the RCMP – authenticated by TECO.”

Then there’s a footnote:

3 Canadians already residing in Taiwan can obtain an RCMP Criminal Record Check by requesting the RCMP fingerprint form in person or by mail. The form is completed by the applicant at a local police station in Taiwan, then mailed directly to the RCMP in Canada. This form must also be authenticated by the TECO in Canada. This service is not available in Taiwan.

The original text includes links to the RCMP and TECO websites.

If any Canadian has gone through the process, please let us know if there’s anything to add.

So my Domestic Assault charge that shows dismissed of course showed up on my FBI background check… No point in getting expunged, because in the states I’m considered “not guilty” (which I wasn’t by anyone’s standards). The fact that it went to court to be dismissed and found “not guilty” will keep me from teaching in Taiwan or South Korea is an insult… China didn’t care at all when I taught there last year, but to be treated as “guilty” for an assault that I didn’t instigate, or my own country found me in favor for is more than dissapointing. It’s got me holding grudges I haven’t felt in almost a decade, and that’s the saddest part of all of this. I would have been an asset to Taiwan. I was a great teacher!! I had learned so much of their culture and language, and now I must move on, because of a charge that was held in my favor.

I hope in the future they change this for their benefit. In the U.S. people go to court over the smallest of things. A guilty verdict is all that should matter. I’m sorry to be culturally insensitive, but if your representatives are too dumb to understand a “not guilty or dismissed” verdict then they’ll never catch up to the rest of the major first world countries. Understand, empathy, logic, and compassion are too important to overlook in order to progress. You should never hold something like this on someone when they’ve proven their innocence…

I wish everyone the best of luck. I was so looking forward to a future in Taiwan, but I guess it doesn’t matter… I do know it’s their loss. I’m not trying to be arrogant, but I have so many skills, so much knowledge, and ability to teach to my students that they really are missing out on me not being there.

I still run a successful company that made me $10k last month, and I will survive with or without them, but I wanted this to be able to spread my knowledge and have the added experiences… I love to learn and teach, but this treatment has put a resentment in my soul that is as unfair to South East Asians as it was for me to be treated as a criminal for a non guilty act of self defense…

I do wish everyone else here good luck, and I hope they progress past these demeaning double standards.

You know it’s only cram schools that are requiring this, right? If you’re not too jaded and disillusioned, you could try your luck at getting a private or public school job (or a Uni if you have a masters). Being a self-made entrepreneur whose company makes 10k a month may impress them enough to help compensate for a lack of practical teaching experience. Anyway, good luck.

I thought about that, but I don’t have a teaching certificate. I thought that was a requirement?

I don’t know. They didn’t ask for one at the Uni I work at, just my masters (for the record, I do have one… they just didn’t ask). Anyway even if they do, what would prevent you from getting one? Most only take two or three months.

I have a master TEFL, but masters in MBA takes 1.5 to 2 years in the states.

Teaching certificate takes 1 year of full time schedule work to attain as well.

Hey Im in the same situation as you with the australian police check.
Did this work out for you in the end?
Cheers mate

So, haven’t been on here in a while but feel the need to update this…

I can confirm that the law for criminal background checks for buxiban teachers has been adjusted. Went into an interview today for one of the large chain schools here and the interviewer told me that the Taiwanese government is now only concerned with the more serious offenses on your record. In other words, you can teach here now with a DUI, traffic violations, other misdemeanors, etc. on your background check. Just can’t be anything serious such as a felony. The ARC will still be processed. Apparently, it has been like this for at least a couple months now, and it was only supposed to be the old way for one year (since last June when this law was passed)

Some of you on here might disagree, but this is probably the more reasonable decision. Good luck to all the future teachers out there.

Have you had success in getting your work permit?