Taiwanese Netflix-type service?

Was wondering if anyone can recommend a local Netflix-type service. Wanna watch movies on demand, hopefully without a monthly fee, with good selection (not only Chinese TV dramas and recent Hollywood blockbusters). I realize there’s a service that gives a US ISP to access Hulu, Netflix and that kinda stuff, but don’t want to pay a monthly fee. (Why should one have to pay a monthly fee for watching movies on demand?) Any such service exist locally?

google play movies

play.google.com/store/movies?hl=en

needs more classics, but it’s as close to what you are looking for as you are gonna get.

google play movies

play.google.com/store/movies?hl=en

needs more classics, but it’s as close to what you are looking for as you are gonna get.[/quote]

Thanks! Sorry to ask, but these include Chinese subtitles, yes?

[quote=“Vay”]
Thanks! Sorry to ask, but these include Chinese subtitles, yes?[/quote]

[EDIT] I haven’t used it personally. but, I think there are chinese subtitiles.

saw a article online. not every movie on there had Chinese subtitles, you can click on Read more button to see details about the film, and it will list what languages subtitles the movie comes with.

techbang.com/posts/20836-how … ow-to-look

Is the Netflix the only service of paid streaming service worldwide available in Taiwan?

http://tw.iqiyi.com/ Can use Qiyi for more Chinese/Korean Content. Its a Chinese service. Think 299 per month.

Thank you for the info.

Is there any service with Japanese drama?

I like Viki. It has all things Asian tv, good subtitles in multiple languages and you only need to pay if you want to watch in hd. But in Taiwan I have to use hola vpn or the Opera browser built in vpn in order to use it as it’s not available here.

Alternatively you could stream movies and tv shows from 123kubo.

Yes, it’s kinda illegal, but they have tons of titles and they are all subtitled in Chinese. Quite often they are subtitled in both English and Chinese. The website is a godsend for us ignorant foreigners who have local spouses.

To find movies/tv shows you have to search with the Chinese title. If you don’t know it, just google the title in English and include “中文” in the search query. The Chinese title should appear.

Once you’ve clicked on whatever you wanna watch, you have to click the tab titled FLV. Any other tab will require you to download some sketchy media player.

@fisheyes11 @PetterNOR

Thank you for the info.

I just found Hulu JP and dTV have plenty of JP things, but VPN is a must. (if someone interested, “Pure VPN” address both of them)

Might be blocked soon:

Its popular with old people who like to watch Costume dramas.

Netflix has local stuff.

there’s also kkbox tv, and gamer.com.tw’s ani.gamer (for anime)