Taking pictures while riding is prohibited?

So I was out riding with my family in a riverside park over the weekend. While riding, I took out my phone and snapped a picture of my family who were riding in front of me. A few seconds later, a guy on his bike caught up to me and said “qi-che-bu-yao-wan-shou-ji.” (Don’t play with your phone when you ride.) I turned around expecting to see a police officer, instead it was a guy who had on one of those official-looking neon vests with a first-aid bag on his bike. I said to him I was just taking a picture and wasn’t “playing with my phone.” He replied “dou-bu-ke-yi” (Both are prohibited) and added a “xie, xie” before going on his way.

So my question is, Is taking pictures while riding illegal? I know how dangerous it is to be riveted to your cellphone while riding (something I never do). But I merely took the phone out of my pocket, snapped a picture, and I was looking forward (not down) the whole time. Have any of you encountered this kind of bike patrol in the riverside parks?

It’s kind of a gray area.

You CAN get fined 300-600NT for using your phone while on the bike. However, like you said, you were just taking a picture and not looking down on your phone.

I wouldn’t think too much about it. Unless you were actually endangering others like taking pics while crossing a street or looking at your phone while riding ON the street, it’s very unlikely to get fined (or even caught).

Hey mate, whilst I am totally guilty of this also, it definitely sounds like it is against the law. There is catchall statement for using a phone that constitutes ‘behaviour that impairs driving safety’. I don’t think you’ll get fined for taking photos of your kids riding around in a park though…

Road Traffic Management and Penalty Act

Article 3 Definitions for terms used in the Act:
Definitions for terms used in the Act:
1. Roadways: All highways, streets, lanes, alleys, squares, arcades, hallways, or other passageways for public use.
2. Vehicle lanes: Roadways with dividers, guard rails, or markings; and other roadways for vehicles.
3. Sidewalks: Arcades, hallways and ground-level roadways designated for pedestrian use; pedestrian bridges, and underpasses marked for pedestrian use.
4. Pedestrian crossings: Parts of roadways designated by markings for pedestrian use.
5. Signs: Boards with text or drawings indicating warnings, prohibitions, and instructions for road traffic control.
6. Markings: Lines, symbols, or words marked on road surfaces or other facilities to indicate warnings, prohibitions, and instructions for road traffic control.
7. Signals: Hand gestures, colored lights, sounds, and text that illustrate instructions for road traffic control such as go, caution, and stop.
8. Vehicles: Cars (including motorcycles) powered by a prime mover, slow-moving vehicles and other motor vehicles on roadways not including the vehicles powered by electricity installed on rails.
9. Mass rapid transit system vehicles: Exclusive power driven vehicles referred to the Mass Rapid Transit Act.
10. Temporary parking: When vehicles stop or remain idle for less than 3 minutes to load or unload passengers or goods, and are ready to depart at any time.
11. Parking: When vehicles park along both sides of a roadway or in a parking lot, and are not ready to depart.

Article 69 Slow-moving vehicles are classified and defined as follows:
1. Bicycle:
1) Pedal-powered bicycle
2) Electric power-auxiliary bicycle: a type approved two-wheeled vehicle that is powered mainly by human exercise and with electric assistance has a maximum speed of 25 km/hr or less and weighs 40 kg or less.
3) Electric bicycle: a type approved two-wheeled vehicle that is powered mainly by electricity, has a maximum speed of 25 km/hr or less, and weighs 40 kg or less (not including battery).

Article 73 In the event of any of the followings, the driver of a slow-moving vehicle shall be fined from NT$300 to NT$600:

1. Operating without legitimate reason outside the designated slow-moving vehicle lanes or failing to keep right on roadways without designated slow-moving vehicle lanes.
  2. Operating not on the designated route or not at the designated time period.
  3. Failing to follow regulations when turning, overtaking, parking, or crossing an intersection.
  4. Competing on the right of way, racing on roadways, or operating the vehicle in any other dangerous manners.
  5. Failing to turn on light when driving at night.
    6. While driving a vehicle, using a mobile phone, a computer or other devices with similar features to dial, to receive calls, to exchange mobile data , or any behavior that impairs driving safety.
  6. Sampling alcohol level exceeding the maximum tolerate standards.
    Drivers of slow-moving vehicles refusing tests outlined in Paragraph 7 above shall be fined NT$1,200.
3 Likes

Well there’s the key point. 5. “Impairs driving safety.” That’d be easy to defend in a court of law, if you were a competent bike rider!

But Yes, if you ride wth me there’s no way you’d get away with taking photos. Unless we all knew you were good enough at bike handling to do it. and made me look good while doing it (like waiting for the rare moment when I’m not sucking wheels, or OTB).

What if the OP wasn’t taking pictures with a cellphone, but with a digital camera instead? Would it also be illegal?

Good question. The regulation Liub cited does point out “mobile phone and other devices with similar features,” so that could include digital cameras.

I have to admit, it’s not the safest thing to do. Even though I claimed I was looking forward the whole time, there’s the few seconds I had to look down to switch the phone to camera mode, a task that requires both hands to carry out. You’ve got to be a pretty skillful cyclist to do that and steer your bike at the same time (or ride hands-free). When you’ve mastered that, you can attempt taking a selfie while riding, and then taking a group selfie while the whole group is riding behind you. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

What about sketching with a sketch pad? Would that be OK? Or an artist’s easel.

I am no judge or lawyer, but I would think you can argue that a GoPro for example, is not a similar device!

I am no expert in the regulation itself, but perhaps there is another catchall for dangerous riding which would prohibit stuff like cameras, or an artist’s easel.