The EU death watch thread

Death Watch?

You mean this?

Desperate to get out of France:

Macron showing the kind of leadership the West will need desperately once Trump has been replaced by Biden.

Good and vital stuff. Macron is likely going to have to bear the lion’s share until 2024. Godspeed.

“In certain districts and on the internet, groups… are teaching hatred of the republic to our children, calling on them to disregard its laws. That is what I called ‘separatism’ … If you do not believe me, read the social media postings of hatred… that resulted in Paty’s death. Visit the districts where small girls aged three or four are wearing a full veil, separated from boys, and, from a very young age, separated from the rest of society, raised in hatred of France’s values”. — French President Emmanuel Macron, Financial Times , November 1, 2020.

“I am for the respect of cultures, civilizations, but I am not going to change my law because it is shocking elsewhere”.

According to a US journalist, Thomas Chatterton Williams, "‘knife attack’ as a description of beheading is so euphemistic that it is in fact a form of violence against language itself.

It seems that the Anglophone media live in a world deaf to reality and based on imaginary victimization; they see racism where there is none, and they do not even know what to name it when it appears in the French streets to behead a teacher.

It is apparently, however, out of the fear of being called a “racist” – not even of being murdered like Samuel Paty – that they choose self-censorship. Not to appear as cowards, they call it “respect”… Are the American media, one wonders, expecting any reciprocity?

It is no coincidence that, in the name of “diversity”, the American media in the last year have hunted and bullied journalists such as James Bennett and Bari Weiss, who resigned from the New York Times .

“So when I see, in that context, several newspapers which I believe are from countries that share our values – journalists who write in a country that is the heir to the Enlightenment and the French Revolution – when I see them legitimising this violence, and saying that the heart of the problem is that France is racist and Islamophobic, then I say the founding principles have been lost”.

4 Likes

…says every conspiracy nut everywhere. Not saying you’re one of them, but that pride over being “better informed” is something to beware of.

I’ve am surprised by Macrons leadership during these troubling times in France with Islamic extremism. I saw him a liberal softy on the subject, but I guess there is a limit to that. His people are getting beheaded on his streets, he is stepping up.

1 Like

Yeah I too am surprised, happily surprised.

I can’t help but wonder if Macron was able to see through Trump’s bluster to the bedrock truths in his actions and his prepared speeches, despite what the rest of Europe and lefty America thinks. Would not be that surprised.

Fact is, though, that France has always been willing (if not always prepared) to pay any price to preserve French culture and the French language, certainly since 1944.

Now if Western leaders would also stop the wanton violence against civilian populations in the Middle East in the name of freedom this insane ideological war might finally be brought to an end.

For real? He was never liberal, he is thoroughly neo-liberal. The only reason why he would be considered a liberal is because he was up against Le Pen.

His politics is practically Thatcherist. He’s passed more “security” laws than all other French presidents before him. He notoriously made the French “state of emergency” permanent by incorporating the measures declared after Bataclan into a new act in 2017 (Loi renforçant la sécurité intérieure et la lutte contre le terrorisme). That’s the furthest thing from a liberal softy.

1 Like

I do loves me a lib circular firing squad. Wee doggies!