The Jiayi Thread

If you go on Daya Rd. heading East to leave the city, you will see Lantan at one time on the right. Two traffic lights follow right on and at the third (a while later) turn left, through a white gate shaped like an arc. There is Dongyang Biesu.

There is another way you can take from Zhongshan Park, if that is more convenient.

I could look down on it if there weren’t so many trees…

Re: Toyo - is this a place you can visit, or just someplace to stay?

Re: Pokadot stadiums… um, is that the one on Ti Yu road near the ACE DIY or the one near Zhongshan park, for playing baseball?

Maoman,

Thanks for the description. Maybe we’ll make it, eventually. I don’t like slippery steep steps though…so we hang out at Lantan on weekends.

If you want to swim in Taipei you could do so in Wulai river. It’s not a waterfall but there are spots with rope swings for the public. Just ignore the signs which say that it’s dangerous…
Picture:
community.webshots.com/photo/421 … 0228REsUod

There is also some secret swimming hole in Wulai, but you would have to ask someone who stays there about that.

Another possibility is Danjiang, near the Tamshui university. It’s swimming pool style but the water is apparently natural. Pictures prefixed djnc at
community.webshots.com/album/45434981tjRJGX/1

Does Wenhua Road still have the kick-ass Douhua place about halfway down? Ah, Jiayi. Lots of memories there… :slight_smile:[/quote]

Just came back from JiaYi and I’m glad to report that the
cool Douhua place is still there. Nice looking xiaojie serving
up the hot douhua as well. Yum!

I was driven from Chiayi airport to Yunlin County and I have to say that Chiayi looked very depressing. A ramshackle blighted area that reminded me of the stretch of road leading to the airport at Ho Chi Minh City. Ugly, dirty and rundown.
I was very happy to return to Taipei.

[quote=“surfbunny”]
I spend a bit of time at American Pie,mainly because I take Chinese class there with Terry.[/quote]

Terry’s Chinese is pretty good. He’s been here forever, him and Hugo and Kyle the 3 wise old men of Chia Yi…

Just cause someone has lived here for a long time doesn’t mean they have great Chinese. Ask Terry he’ll tell you himself, he never bothered to learn Chinese until recently. However, he does know a few words in Chinese.

Hugo has great Chinese, and he’s a good guy. I teach one of his sons at Junior High.

I don’t think i’ve meet Kyle though, which one is he?

Does Hugo have red hair? American? I remember him, I think. I rmemebr his (then-preschool)son had the great ability of speaking Taiwanese to old Chinese people, Mandarin to younger Taiwanese people, and English to foreigners, no matter what language they spoke to him.

Other names from my Jiayi generation of 15 years ago - Karen Parmalee, Greg MacPherson, Scott Morrison, Mike Falys (sp?), Ewan Davies, Liz Cravens, Eric Armstrong. Also a Bryan Martin who’s been there since about 1992, I guess. Any updates on these people? There are others, but their names escape me at the moment…

Wolf: when was that? It’s still as industrial as ever, but does have a (very) few nice spots here and there. I don’t think I would have bothered with a survival guide otherwise.

I heard Greg went home to Nova Scotia. And I used to live in the same building as Bryan I think he’s still here. I got a question for Surfbunny. Does Hugo still swear at his boy when they play frisbee? He was really intense.

I think Kyle owns a Sesame Street near the Calgary. He’s kinda round in shape. A really good guy, hangs out at American Pie all the time.

I could have met Kyle and just not remembered his name. But then i was down at American Pie every Tuesday and Thursday for Chinese lessons and just don’t remember him.

As for Hugo and his son James. James doesn’t come to frisbee anymore, he says he prefers hanging out with his friends. James does have excellent Taiwanese and his English is pretty good (if only he’d speak it!!).

Where do you guys play frisbee now? Been almost two years since I lived in Chia Yi. Will go with my fiancee to go see her folks and hang out. Will do the Calgary and American Pie as well.

Frisbee is played at the polkadot stadium, down the road from American Pie. Perhaps I will see you down at American Pie will you are visiting. Just ask Terry about the Australians, he’ll know!

I have finally updated the What’s on in Chiayi list for May. Please PM me if you would like to get hold of this. There is a strong Southern Taiwan bias to the events.

I’ve been working in Chiayi recently and was wondering if anyone wants to hang out. It seems pretty boring to me, but thats because i dont’ know where any pubs / clubs are or the swimming pool etc…

so if any Chiayi people want to hang out maybe later in the week, I’d appreciate it.

You gotta be kidding! Hang out with the Chiayi foreign community? They’re all a bunch of social retards, or at least the English teachers are. That’s one of the reasons I left. Last May I decided to get into the foreign community, come December I was still trying to get in.

Here’s their problem: One comes over, gets settled, then his/her friends come over. There they all are, in their own little group, no outsiders allowed. Sure, I was good enough to talk to at the pub, or come to when they needed help, but I was obviously not good enough to hang out with. Of course, if you’re a woman you won’t want for company - every foreign guy in Chiayi will be looking to fuck you, even if he does have a girlfriend or wife.

I take it from your signature that you are Australian. If that is the case, go to the Golden Eagle on Chiming Rd, across from Chiayi park. The whole foreign community hangs out there, but you would probably do better getting to know Des and Tony, a couple of engineers from Australia. To Hell with the rest.

[quote=“Dr_Zoidberg”]You gotta be kidding! Hang out with the Chiayi (Jiayi) foreign community? They’re all a bunch of social retards, or at least the English teachers are. That’s one of the reasons I left. Last May I decided to get into the foreign community, come December I was still trying to get in.

Here’s their problem: One comes over, gets settled, then his/her friends come over. There they all are, in their own little group, no outsiders allowed. Sure, I was good enough to talk to at the pub, or come to when they needed help, but I was obviously not good enough to hang out with. Of course, if you’re a woman you won’t want for company - every foreign guy in Chiayi (Jiayi) will be looking to fuck you, even if he does have a girlfriend or wife.

I take it from your signature that you are Australian. If that is the case, go to the Golden Eagle on Chiming Rd, across from Chiayi (Jiayi) park. The whole foreign community hangs out there, but you would probably do better getting to know Des and Tony, a couple of engineers from Australia. To Hell with the rest.[/quote]

Bloody hell!

Strong words… somebody must have made Dr. Z angry!

I’m glad for two reasons:

1. I’ve never been to Chiayi.
  2. I’m not an English teacher

So it couldn’t have been me. :slight_smile:

Who did you meet? Now I feel better that I never met you. To say the least, your comments are offensive.

Unfortunately, I have noticed this as well.

What a stupid thing to say.

Maybe this was your problem? Stop meeting people in bars. After living in Chiayi for four years I can easily say that most foreigners here DO NOT hang out at the bars, especially the people worth knowing.

Well, I hope the door didn’t hit you on the way out. It seems Chiayi only gained from your departure.

I’ve been in Jiayi for a few months. I’ve met a few people but don’t really have any “friends” yet.

I met a couple of guys and hung out with them and the only thing they seemed to want to do was get into fights.

No thanks.

I am an Engilsh teacher here and a good person. I like to go out for drinks on the weekend and buzz around on my motorcycle whenever I can.

That was pretty offensive Dr. Zoidberg. I’m not a big fan of sweeping generalizations.

It is true that there are quite a few prick English teachers on the island. I just try to stay away from those people.

If you want to go out for a drink or something PM me.