The Jiayi Thread

Maybe a Forumosa Jiayi Happy Hour is the answer? What would I have to do to set it up?

Maoman and Funkymonkey…

Yeh I would like to meet up for a few drinks or whatever is done for fun over there

Now I just found out i’ll be in Tainan and Zuoying… :unamused:

No doubt I’ll be in Jiayi in a few weeks though.

Who did you meet? Now I feel better that I never met you. To say the least, your comments are offensive.
[/quote]

I call 'em as I see 'em. How else to describe people who can’t see beyond their own small clique and don’t even realize it?

It’s true. I have a couple of friends who are young women on the outside looking in, but all the guys are trying score with them.

Who said I met these people in a bar? Many of them were co-workers and neighbours.

[quote=“Dr_Zoidberg”][quote=“funkymonkey”]

What a stupid thing to say.
[/quote]

It’s true. I have a couple of friends who are young women on the outside looking in, but all the guys are trying score with them.[/quote]

:unamused: Oh, it must be true then…

[quote=“funkymonkey”][quote=“Dr_Zoidberg”][quote=“funkymonkey”]

What a stupid thing to say.
[/quote]

It’s true. I have a couple of friends who are young women on the outside looking in, but all the guys are trying score with them.[/quote]

:unamused: Oh, it must be true then…[/quote]

NEWS FLASH: Flippant remarks posted on an Internet forum by people I’ve never met, and never will meet, aren’t going to crush me emotionally.
:wanker:

[quote=“Dr_Zoidberg”]NEWS FLASH: Flippant remarks posted on an Internet forum by people I’ve never met, and never will meet, aren’t going to crush me emotionally.
:wanker:[/quote]

Obviously it has or you wouldn’t have commented in such a manner. I think people, including myself, took offense to your use of the words “all” and “every” in previous posts.

I hope you can easily see why people may be offended by such comments. If you can’t, it may explain why you had difficulty making friends. I won’t waste any more time on this thread or your ridiculous comments. :hand: :upyours:

Looking at Dr. Zoidberg’s posts … wondering how he’s finding it so difficult to make friends … wait, no I’m not. At all. :laughing:

[quote=“Tyc00n”]Maoman and Funkymonkey…

Yeh I would like to meet up for a few drinks or whatever is done for fun over there
[/quote]

I was dissed :cry:

[quote=“Lo Bo To”][quote=“Tyc00n”]Maoman and Funkymonkey…

[/quote]

I was dissed :cry:[/quote]
Face it man, they’ve formed a Chiayi clique against you before they’ve even met each other. And one of them doesn’t even live in Chiayi any more!
That’s harsh!

I never said I met these people in bars, and I never said I had difficulty making friends. Although I suspect it’s futile pointing that out, seeing as how you seem to have already closed your mind to anything I say.

Nevertheless, what I did say about Chiayi foreign English teachers is based entirely upon my experiences with them.

As funkymonkey pointed out, just because I say something is doesn’t necessarily make it so. Likewise, just because he says something isn’t doesn’t necessarily make that so either; especially since his argument is based upon nothing more than … I’m sorry, what was the basis of his argument?

He did, however, validate one point I made:

[quote=“funkymonkey”][quote=“Dr_Zoidberg”]
Here’s their problem: One comes over, gets settled, then his/her friends come over. There they all are, in their own little group, no outsiders allowed.[/quote]

Unfortunately, I have noticed this as well.
[/quote]

Likewise, Lo Bo To:

And yet they take exception to me saying it. Go figure.

[quote=“funkymonkey”]
…it may explain why you had difficulty making friends. I won’t waste any more time on this thread or your ridiculous comments. :hand: :upyours:[/quote]

If you, or anyone else, wishes to refute my statements, do so. Present your case, and support it. When you flame someone, it just looks as though you can’t argue intelligently.

Dr. Z. I just think that what you said here:

was offensive. So have you met ALL the English teachers here? You haven’t cause I don’t know you.

You should choose your words more carefully.

No, I probably haven’t met all the English teachers. You’re right, it was a generalization. Then again, generalizations are all I’ve got short of posting a list of names.

If one takes it literally then it must also include my friends and even myself. My friends have heard me say these things often enough, God knows, and they’ve never been offended, in fact they’ve been in agreement. It seems they don’t take such general statements personally unless someone specifically mentions them, or the shoe fits.

Stan offered an astute observation, it’s too bad others were too busy with their childish antics to take note of it. They might have put it together with the corroborating statements to conclude there is at least a kernel of truth.

I used to live in Chiayi. I was a cool dude. Played the drums in a rawk band. At the Calgary.

Hoowah!

Man, I really like that word… kernal… a kernal of truth…

But, what does it mean, when used as such? What is a “kernal of truth”? Is it a sufficient amount of truth to justify making a sweeping, all inclusive generalization about some matter? I don’t know. I cannot confirm nor deny what you say re the situation in Chaiyi, as I only go there to see my in-laws, and then only about once a year.

You folks in Chaiyi ever hear of or see the Tomato Queen?

[quote=“porcelainprincess”]I used to live in Chiayi (Jiayi). I was a cool dude. Played the drums in a rawk band. At the Calgary.

Hoowah![/quote]

They got a bar called the Calgary?
I assume it’s an overpriced shithole full of sub-literate yokels with too much money…

[quote=“the chief”][quote=“porcelainprincess”]I used to live in Chiayi (Jiayi) (Jiayi). I was a cool dude. Played the drums in a rawk band. At the Calgary.

Hoowah![/quote]

They got a bar called the Calgary?
I assume it’s an overpriced shithole full of sub-literate yokels with too much money…[/quote]

If by sub-literate yokels you mean “Taiwanese” or “German engineers”, then yes. It looks like it used to be an Italian restaurant. The sign is in the colours of the Italian flag with an outline of Italy. Across this someone has painted the word Calgary. If there’s a connection, I don’t get it.

The front of the menu presents a bizarre history of the city, including a story about one Captain Roderick, who saved his men from the harsh Canadian winter by inventing cheesecake.

The food is overpriced and nothing to write home about (150NT for a glass of milk tea). The Wednesday special is a 10" pizza and two large bottles of beer (whatever brand they’re pushing that day) for 320NT.

[quote=“the chief”]
I assume it’s an overpriced shithole full of sub-literate yokels with too much money…[/quote]

Listen, I know your mother contracted terminal syphilis from a Chuckwagon jockey at the world-famous Calgary Stampede, but I really don’t think you should label the whole city as being full of yokels, do you?

That stereotype is a pretty outdated and stupid one. Calgary has one of the most dynamic workforces in the country and a GDP per capita that rivals rich American states. Any Canadian that has worked in a real job before (not teaching or editing for a teaching magazine in Taiwan :wink: ) knows that it is Alberta’s wealth (Ontario as well) that supports the rest of Canada (transfer payments), and these payments support the underdeveloped parts of Canada (including your mud-bricked abode).

In other words, it is partially because of our oil money that you have free health care and enough money to buy smokes, generic beer, and your weekly bingo games from your welfare or UI cheques.

Show some respect to the province that feeds you!!!

Woohoo! A couple of Canadians going at it. Like watching a couple of one-legged men in an arse-kicking contest. :laughing:

[quote=“Chewycorns”][quote=“the chief”]

Listen, I know your mother contracted terminal syphilis from a Chuckwagon jockey at the world-famous Calgary Stampede, but I really don’t think you should label the whole city as being full of yokels, do you?

That stereotype is a pretty outdated and stupid one. Calgary has one of the most dynamic workforces in the country and a GDP per capita that rivals rich American states. Any Canadian that has worked in a real job before (not teaching or editing for a teaching magazine in Taiwan :wink: ) knows that it is Alberta’s wealth (Ontario as well) that supports the rest of Canada (transfer payments), and these payments support the underdeveloped parts of Canada (including your mud-bricked abode).

In other words, it is partially because of our oil money that you have free health care and enough money to buy smokes, generic beer, and your weekly bingo games from your welfare or UI checks.

Show some respect to the province that feeds you!!![/quote]

Aside from the fact that I’ve been sitting around for HOURS (here at my incredibly well-paying job that has nothing to do whatsoever with English teaching or education, so you can stick your :wink: up your dumb white Stetson-wearing ass), waiting for you to respond, you once again succeed in making an ASS out of U and UMPTION…
Who said I’m not from Alberta?
Who, for that matter, said I’m not from Cowdungtown itself??
Maybe it’s MY oil money too, huh?
Too bad your U of C curriculum couldn’t squeeze the odd seminar on Critical Analysis in there between Manure Cartage 103 and Swine Husbandry 107…