The narratives about Trump thread

CNN promoting the idea of “Facts first” after the Russia/Tax/Phone call nonsense gave me gonorrhea.

Since when? It’s reasonable to expect the leader of our nation to be much more knowledgeable about, say, US history than the average American. I think that’s a very reasonable thing. But Trump fails in this respect. As far as morals and conduct are concerned, it’s reasonable to expect the leader of our nation to be at least as good as average. But the average American would never conduct himself the way Trump conducts himself, would never be so petty in his or her choice of battles, would never be so vindictive, would never consistently refuse to ever admit being wrong, would never be so vile with respect to the words coming out of his or her mouth, etc.

I don’t get this argument. There have been a helluva lot worse guys, like Nixon and Stalin, so stop your complainin’.

Most find it gross and low and embarrassing. And by most, I mean most Americans and definitely huge majorities in every country outside of the US.

“He says what others only do.” You mean that pussy grabbing thing again? The fact that this is used again and gain by the pro-Trump crowd to prove his virtue is just mind-boggling and demonstrates how low we have sunk.

Trump will fail because he must fail. Success for Trump will mean a whole generation copying his crassness, his never admitting your wrong because it supposedly demonstrates weakness mode of operation, his willingness to say anything to get what you want (how Trump plays to his Christian base, for example, when he is far from conducting himself in a way a Christian should- e.g., the Bible is replete with warnings of how you should watch what you say), etc. Trump will fail because success for him would be catastrophic for the country.

Less than half, I must point out. And many of them are now regurgitating that pill and wishing they never…well it sounded good in my head before I typed it out.

Oh, you mean like when he apologized for the pussy grabbing comments, acknowledging the fact they were disrespectful and of poor taste? Apology he made during the election campaign, even though it made him look weak?

I’ve yet to hear anything from Trump as bad as:“We came, we saw, he died”.

This discussion reminds me of a bit I saw in one of my aunt’s FB posts, saying that finally the Heathen was out of office and the reason people opposed Trump was because he had selected a fully Christian, God annointed Cabinet who was to lead America back to Godliness.

Neeedless to say, I was speechless.

I also have a few bits from Uncle Bob that have to be copy paste for delivery, beyond my comprehension.

1 Like

Doesn’t your aunt know that a good chunk of his family is Jewish?

HERESY

What? Did he look strong boasting about sexual assault? I’m not sure if this is the example you want to go with.

Apologizing is a symbol of weakness during political debates, and a candidate should never do it. The topic doesn’t really matter, but he apologized nonetheless.

“It was locker room talk!”

Yeah, that made him really look strong, a 70-year old talking like a 16-year old.

1 Like

Clearly worse than:“We came, we saw, he died”. Yup, no comparison there.

The woman does not respond well to logic. What I gather is that it is a fashionable message among pastors, like lately it is gender issues. Someone in the megachurches sends the message down the linethat everyone should preach that learning about gender is telling kids to choose to be male female or in between so sin hell chaos unnatural etc., for example, and then everyone does a phone chain and starts preaching The Line. Same with Trump. Copy paste.

I have to disagree. The topic does matter. It’s one thing to apologize if he messed up a fact. It’s completely another to apologize for boasting about sexual assault. That’s like the min standard of a decent human being. Actually I guess a decent human being wouldn’t boast about grabbing women by the pussy and forcing himself on them. But I guess we have really lowered the standard when it comes to trump.

I get you’re trying to make a point. But this is probably not the best example

It’s Hillary-ous that the Right is still obsessed with that loser lady while they should be focusing on getting that imbecile out of office before he breaks more than can be repaired.

I’m talking about debate strategy; apologizing is always seen as a symptom of weakness to the viewers, regardless on the action for which someone is apologizing. Even when you agree on the fact that person X should apologize for fact Y, the apology in itself has a bad influence on the debate and should be avoided. He could have simply ignored it and kept saying that a sentence mentioned 10 years ago in private didn’t matter, but he apologized.

The fact that what he said deserved an apology or didn’t is a different matter.

Nah, Trump is ok. If he was replaced by Pence, the neotards would just keep finding silly reasons for which he shouldn’t be in charge. Basically:“fuck democracy, only people from the party I like should be allowed to be elected” is the new motto.

No I know what you’re saying. But I’m pretty sure he would have looked 10x worst if he didn’t apologize. It was more strategic to apologize even if apolozing generally does put a debater in a weaker position. But you’re probably in one of the weakest positions already when they got you saying I just grab them by the pussy. I don’t think he had an option not to apologize. That’s why I said maybe not the best example to make your point.

I mentioned that example because the:“grab them by the pussy” is one of the recurrent memes, along with Russia and the taxes. His taxes were fine, the Russia thing was just a clickbait campaign run by the media, and he apologized for the pussy grabbing comment, so I mentioned that because pointing out that:“HE NEVER APOLOGIZES” is just incorrect, as he pretty much apologized for the only thing he arguably was supposed to.

Pence would surely be criticized for his policies, rightfully and fully wrong, but he would not be for being unfit to be the president.

He would be claimed unfit for president within 5 minutes due to his past (possibly current?) statements regarding homosexuals.
“WE CANNOT HAVE A PRESIDENT WHO THINKS THIS AND THAT, THINK OF THE CHILDREN, NEW ELECTIONS NOW”

I can guarantee it.

I mean did he really apologize? I believe he credited it to locker room talk. An apology is in that situation is more like yeah, I take full responsibility and what I said and/or did was wrong. Which is why Belive the statement that he never apologizes Is made. He does often deflect and doubles down instead of just ending it and making it a more distracting larger issue.

Can you argue that the media and the democrats waited to release that tape and used it to attack his character in the debate instead of talking about other important issues. Yes, don’t doubt they did. But it’s my position that he really never just takes full responsibility and ending it. You can disagree, and we can just agree to disagree.

1 Like

He made a video specifically to apologize about it.