The narratives about Trump thread

The double heartbreak with the TPS is that many of these people had kids, who are by the US constitution, US citizens, who will be forced to leave. They do not qualify for DACA since their parents were in the US legally.

What is the beef with the Dreamers anyway? Why is it so important to punish kids for the sins of their parents? If that is the new norm, can this be applied across the board? If your parent got a DUI, then no drivers license for you! You can be punished for any crime your parents committed. Thats some NK stuff there.

It is treason. If you want to live by the rule of law, there is no cherry-picking the punishment.

The core heartbreak is TPS itself. That’s something designed to break hearts.

Not exclusively. They hire immigrants because of cheap labor. No. They hire cheap labor. Period. I did that work, I know from experience. If your a low skilled worker making $7/hr at McD, only to have your job replaced by automation, moving laterally to another $7/hr job is not an improvement.
Veg and fruit pickers are more migrant than immigrant. Yeah, illegals, too. But, force the farmer to have to pay $7/hr, then they will probably stop growing or import their produce. Who will you blame when the price of lettuce skyrockets? Oh, do you want the low skilled worker to work for Chinese wages and accept the quality of life that goes with it?

Sorry, but I do not think Joe in Bill, Wyoming is worried about a bomb going off outside his house. He is more concerned with feeding his family. Since farming and ranching is Wyoming is all but automated now, whats a guy to do? As I hinted to above, better to focus on homegrown terrorists than worry about what comes from abroad.

No, I still disagree. Another big industry employing illegals is construction. Vast industry, and employs illegal immigrants intensely.

Houses are going to get built. Existing houses are going to be renovated when the building slows down. Automation will have almost no impact on that level of skilled labor. Removing illegal immigrants from the labor pool will act to push wages up in the construction industry. Wages should rise in related industries, too. Overall effect should be a push UP in wages overall.

Sorry, this is a no-brainer. It defies common sense to think that businesses making a normal profit will choose to forego that profit by quitting if hiring illegal immigrants becomes impossible. Not all labor can be automated, either. If nothing else, removing illegal immigrants from the labor pool will help low-income Americans to become more invested in American life. That, too, is not insignificant.

I like that you are sticking to your guns. That is admirable. There use to be a poster here who used to argue some economic nonsense that had no hold in reality. I was a laborer for a good part of my teenage-adult life, in big cities and small. and I can tell you, it is not what you think. I am sure some illegals worked there, the bosses did not care. Its about the bottom line. End of story. If they are forced to be more diligent in their hiring, then they will look elsewhere to save money. Either not hire at all, automate where they can, hire interns, or make whatever payoffs they have to to get people to look the other way.

This idea that wages will go up has been floated and rebuffed before. Just like tax cuts lead to automatic job growth. It does not work that way. Even if they do, what good is a wage increase if the costs of living go up at the same rate? The zero growth era. That is where we have been in the past 20 years with no end in sight.

Getting tough on immigration makes for good soundbites and slogans. In reality, it is akin to undergoing chemo for stage 4 lung cancer. It most likely will do more harm than good, and be of no use, but at least they look like they are doing something to help.

you mean like:“illegal work is positive for the economy” ?

Real borders are for racists, nazis and xenophobes. Fake borders are the only fair borders.

To paraphrase from memory, a farm worker in England explaining the situation to his new coworker:

1 Like

One thing about supply & demand that sometimes gets overlooked is that there’s demand for products and services made/done in certain countries, based on the perceived quality/safety and/or ideological inclination.

The average American may not fully subscribe to “buy American” or “reduce your carbon footprint” at the moment, but that’s probably because it hasn’t been marketed well enough yet – people like these ideas (one of them if not both) but in the same way they like the idea of being healthy yet still manage to be obese or anorexic. There’s potential there. :2cents:

I guess most Dreamers are easy to deport, are on record, have jobs and study in college, so, as we say in Spanish, low lying mangoes.

Funny thing is anyone can have a baby in the US, get US passport for kid, and then leave, never come back until 20 years later and claim all kinds of benefits, while not integrating to the culture. While Dreamers, who have been there, studied there, absorb the culture and language, integrate as working people, parents paid taxes, etc. well, are kicked out.

I’d have all Dreamers serve in the armed forces at least, get some benefit from all this trained labor.

Now it is the Haitians getting the boot. TPS deals are not being renewed then? OK. At that time it was also humanitarian aid.

TPS is the political equivalent of punting in American football. It’s government saying that it lacks the power or the imagination to deport a class of thriving, healthy, all-Americans whose parents happen to be in the country illegally. Or, as is most often the case, it’s the politicians in government who don’t want to be on the receiving end of all the antipathy caused by uprooting happy families. Nobody wants to risk throwing downfield into double coverage. Let’s leave the hard decisions to the next generation.

Politically, Dreamers are hardly low-hanging fruit. Dreamers are a minefield. If you spend any time at the Washington Post or New York Times websites, you will see a massive, solid, one-way wall of opinion, one of overwhelming support for keeping Dreamers in the US. That opinion is not a universal American opinion, obviously, but in the liberal press it strongly prevails.

It’s not possible to reform immigration laws when the laws are not uniformly and consistently enforced. Too often illegals have been grandfathered into legals, and now the system suffers from a toxic loss of trust by American voters. Somebody has to forge through the minefield before everyone buys into reform. So far the only American both foolish enough and powerful enough to do so is President Trump.

Democrats had ACA, and were decimated by it. The GOP has immigration, and will have to avoid decimation by it. It’s the way things are when you tread a minefield.

Well, this doesn’t look like the narrative the MSM were hoping to see.

2 Likes

I dream of owning a modest, beach-side cottage in Costa Rica so maybe we Dreamers can work out a trade.

Went on Reddit to see what people were saying. I thought:“geez, this sounds huge, there must be a conversation on the front page fo sure”.
No sign of it, on the front page there are threads with 100/150 comments but nothing about the dossier.
Meanwhile, in some politics subs there are threads with 700+ comments discussing about this.

When this kind of crap happens, you know the result is gonna be gud.

1 Like

That is if the talent can be found. And in some industries the desire to work in that industry.

I come from a region of high unemployment and yet they still need to import people to work in “undesirable” jobs or jobs that local talent can’t fill.

That happens everywhere. There’s nothing wrong for an economy to have migrants cone in to fill the gaps. The problem is when it’s done illegally, it damages the whole system.

A quick search shows that these people are on the majority are educated and reasonably paid. When they are gone what happens to the work they were performing? Is there a line up of people waiting for their positions, ready and capable of doing the same job? If not, I’m curious what happens next.

You can almost feel the size of Ben Shapiro’s boner while he was writing this.