The services the government provides...

I’ve never lived there, just visited. I imagine someone not from the island like myself could get away with just not giving a toss about the sectarianism. IE I really wouldn’t have to worry much if I was moving into the ‘wrong’ area (unless it was ‘wrong’ in the sense of ‘crime ridden’). Someone from ROI wouldn’t have that luxury.

It isn’t that you could away from in lots of places it’s all around you, marching season and bonfires, pure bigotry and hate! Horrible excuse for a culture.
Now they don’t even have a functioning governnent.

It’s not a horrible excuse for a culture. There are ugly parts of it, undeniably, but that’s a quite a spiteful thing to say. Most marches there are rather pleasant and without incident - but oddly enough those don’t get covered by RTE news.

I mean if you’re quite sectarian yourself, that’s fair enough. There are cultures I’d rather avoid as well. But I don’t call them horrible excuses for a culture - that makes no sense. We all have one.

You don’t have a clue about it are you trying to lecture me about Ireland?

It’s not only the marches and their anti Catholic bigotry its their backwardness in pretty much everything , hating gays, anti evolution, racism and then they still want free money from the UK. Urggh.

1 Like

marching season and bonfires,

I grew up around all that, but my family never took part. I can remember being nine years old and having a kid try to beat the crap out of me for refusing to say “I love the DUP”. He’s a Baptist minister now.

Sorry - I’ve taken this way off topic.

Laowai doesn’t understand, 5000 years of culture… oh wait you’re Irish not Chinese.

There’s certainly no anti-protestant or anti-british bigotry in the republic of course. And you could never accuse the ROI of taking more money then they receive from other countries like Germany.

The ROI is a shining star compared to that shithole :wink:

This is our marching in the Republic.

Actually NI is not a shithole it’s a beautiful place indeed with some decent people dotted avout but it’s fucked up. Would be SO MUCH BETTER if British hadn’t partitioned the country and left that lot in charge.

Between recessions, maybe. Last time I visited Belfast was a lot nicer than Dublin - cleaner, friendlier, cheaper.

Look I lived in the Republic, by and large I liked the place. I’m certainly not trying to say it’s a kip, or take part in that silly NI tribal bullshit. But you are the one who said half of NI had a horrible excuse for a culture. Like most nationalists you never take the time to try and understand it (I really hope you’re not going to come out “omg why do they say they are british when british people don’t know about them” nonsense).

I’ll never deny being from a Protestant background if anyone asks (though I prefer it when they don’t), even if only to remind people that many of us are not as you describe. I do like free money though.

1 Like

…meanwhile in Northern Ireland.

Ugh, this is why I try not to talk to Irish people anymore. And I mean the whole damn rock. Their entire tapestry of petty regional rivalries is just brain-numbing. If NI didn’t exist he’d be ranting about culchies, or people from the other side of the river, or some other mindlessly trivial thing.

It’s a tiny country and really not that important - its American diaspora is far more influential and accomplished than anyone who stayed there. But of course they hate them too.

Nah if the place was well run and equitable then it would get it’s fair dues. But it’s not, the ROI is a far better place overall and there’s no comparison really.
They are getting dragged out of the EU now against wishes of the majority of the population, which sucks.

And another damn thing. Irish people are not funny. Everyone from Ireland is under the delusion that they’re some kind of brilliant comedian. Nowhere on earth have I found people so eager to force laughter without any wit it all. The amount of fake polite laughter you have to do is exhausting.

But it’s all good craic loik.

Oh, and don’t even get me started on how they still moan about de english but they can’t even speak their own damn language despiate having control of their government for 100 years.

Hehe New Zealand is known as a whole country of dry ballz.
How’s that for stereotyping :slight_smile:

Build a bridge and get over it …

I’m not the one claiming NZ is better than any country. I’m not the one saying people I don’t like have a - and I quote - horrible excuse for a culture.

Mad craic (I’m using the one of the handful Gaelic words you know here, the other being IRA slogans, 20% of your national anthem that was originally written in English, and the name of the city you’re from which is scrawled in mixed case italic lettering bellow the English name you actually read).

Yeah the ultra fundamentalist Catholic gay everything hating unionists have a horrible excuse for a culture.
What’s controversial about that?

Even the Tories are keeping them at selfie stick length :slight_smile:

Your country literally had institutionalised paedophilia for god knows how long. Glass houses.

Nah ROI has moved beyond that it’s a totally different place now.
The only condition for visitors these days ‘dont be a dry ballz’.