Toastmasters

Do you teaching vets recommend Toastmasters for a thirty-something guy who’s never taught before, has a bachelor’s degree in something not related to education, and is in general quite timid and very nervous when speaking in front of large groups. Would Toastmasters and a 100 hour certificate course in ESL teaching give this teaching neophyte the confidence not to tremble with fear and not be able to properly project his voice across a room with 10-15 ten to fifteen year olds. :ponder:

I want to get a job somewhere…anywhere…teaching english to kids in Taiwan.

I looked it up on google, it’s a public speaking course. Can’t do any harm, I guess, as long as it doesn’t set you back too much money.

You probably won’t be teaching teenagers here, more likely 6-12 year olds. You’ll find a fear of speaking in public won’t be so much of an issues with kids that age. Much more important is your willingness to relax and enjoy playing games like a kid. It’s not really a case of standing at the front of the class delivering a lecture.

I think Toastmasters is a lot of fun. You will meet some nice people. They give training in public speaking, but not teaching-centered. You can tell that Obama hasn’t been in one. He would drive the Ah counter crazy.

The best training for teaching adults is to get a job as a barman and try your best at engaging all types. You’ll be getting paid, standing in front of people, be under pressure, and learning how to handle left field, but having fun. Then add to that your teacher training course.

The thing to remember about teaching is that you aren’t giving a speech, you are helping the people you teach talk to eachother effectively. I’m not remotely shy, but I am an introvert with a tiny, Minnie Mouse voice. Students who are also introverts who don’t like speaking also study English and they find shouty ‘charismatic’ men grating and irritating. So just get over yourself a bit and try to connect. Students value an authentic person who treats their aims with respect and don’t .

If you are really nervous, being prepared and knowing what you are doing will help you feel more in control of the situation. When you are planning lessons, think about what you are doing and why. How does this fit into your class aims and your wider aims for the course? How can you communicate this so the students have faith in you and buy into what you are doing? Also, don’t be afraid of silence. New teachers babble incomprehensibly, to fill in all space. The students can’t get a word in edgeways.

Seriously, I have never shouted at teenagers; it’s the quickest way to lose control and also to raise the volume. If you need to talk, speak quietly.

Not to say you shouldn’t do Toastmasters, though. It might still be great for you. Just wanted to say ‘don’t worry’ so much about the teaching. It’ll be fine.

I find this funny, considering Obama is one of the most articulate and greatest speech deliverers the U.S. has ever produced. He’d crush a star Toastmaster member in any speech delivery contest. :laughing:

I do understand teaching is not like giving a speech. I was looking more at the confidence that type of program would give someone intimidated about the thought of standing in front of a group. I agree that kids are not especially intimidating. Thanks very much for the comments and opinions. :sunglasses:

Kids are more intimidating than adults from what I’ve noted about novice English teachers. At least adults have adult sensibilities, manners, knowledge of how to learn, when to listen, expectations, kids have none of these you have to teach them these things plus English.

The real question is, of course,
why do we need a master to toast?

I attended Toastmasters many times and competed in speech competitions in English and Chinese(I am white, but studied Chinese in TW for about 2 years). Toastmasters folks are fun and encouraging. I’ve seen many famous people give deadly dull speeches. Adults don’t want to sit for that, so you can be sure kids will revolt.

Some people have told me taking courses in how to teach english is infantilizing. Teaching English is about keeping the audience entertained and classroom control. It’s not rocket science, needless to say.

What you learn in Toastmasters, after you overcome stage fright, is how to give an entertaining speech.